Feeding Gsd Puppy On Raw

When calcium is fed in it's natural form any excess is excreated from the dog, artificial form of calcium will cause problems, I never use calcium in any other form than natural..

As I said - each to their own.

eta: I do worry about the contents of what ever is in the bag of dry foods, to me that is a bigger gamble of getting it right than feeding a raw diet.

As I do not own or breed GSD's - I do own Rotties (+ a pug) and I would never feed my dogs anything that I would think that would harm them or their health - including hips/elbows to be scored as low as possible.

Don't forget there is more to low scores than diet - environment has a huge part to play in development which may also affect low hip/elbow scores.

Edited by Andisa

Just interested Andisa

Do you x-ray your dogs for hips and elbows?

YES - it is a must in Rotties as it is in GSD. I have only scored 1 so far - my girl was raised on this diet as was her father. I have 2 pups that will be scored next year and I will be looking at doing the 20mth old girl soon.

Andisa,

Forgive my scepticism but with only one dog scored (and you don't say whether it was a great score or even whether it is a pass), it cannot be demonstrated that your diet including milk is or isn't affecting your scores for hips and elbows.

I've had MANY dogs scored for hips and elbows and ALL passed with excellent scores well below the breed average - all on a premium dry food diet. I believe the food plays an enormous part in terms of joint support whilst growing and the correct amount of calcium/phosphorous is vital.

There is a great debate about how much environment plays a part and yes there may be environmental factors involved in some poor hip readings, but I believe anyone who uses environment to "explain away" hip and elbow issues probably needs to take a long hard look at their feeding practices. (not having a go at you by the way, just how I feel about people who use environment as a cop out etc.)

Edited by Scales of Justice

I agree that only premium quality dry food should be fed to any GSD or any dog for that matter.

Why do you say that? There is no reason that dogs and pups for that matter can't be raised on a raw diet.

Andisa,

Forgive my scepticism but with only one dog scored (and you don't say whether it was a great score or even whether it is a pass), it cannot be demonstrated that your diet including milk is or isn't affecting your scores for hips and elbows.

I've had MANY dogs scored for hips and elbows and ALL passed with excellent scores well below the breed average - all on a premium dry food diet. I believe the food plays an enormous part in terms of joint support whilst growing and the correct amount of calcium/phosphorous is vital.

There is a great debate about how much environment plays a part and yes there may be environmental factors involved in some poor hip readings, but I believe anyone who uses environment to "explain away" hip and elbow issues probably needs to take a long hard look at their feeding practices.

Good for you - I have no intentions of going any further on this with you - feed what you like. My mistake in my reply here is that I do not own a GSD. Yes I only scored one dog (well below the average) lots of people who raw feed their dogs have have them scored - if I knew I had to include them in this then I would need to make quite a few calls to get all the information needed however I am not interested - and they have had their dogs scored way below the average too.

I have seen many dogs scores who are fed premium dry foods that have shocking scores, no doubt you have too - so diet and environment do play parts in the over all health. I also know breeders who are doing exceptionally well on several generations of raw feeding - I am not going to tell them they got it wrong when their results speak for themselves.

Accidents can and do happen. My 8 mth old pup had a beauty at 6 mths old - slipped at the dog pool while standing right beside me - lost her footing on the slippery floor (fully documented with the vets for future reference if needed). She had 6 weeks off - and was slowing brought back in and am only starting to do more with her now - she has another physio apt at 11.15am today. A large breed dog doing the splits is a concern, she was xrayed when she got hurt and although came back ok saying that she should be fine, I am hoping that she will be, however as this has not completely healed I dare say it will show up on when she is scored next yr - injuries do show up and do affect their scores.

One of my pups is being fed on RC and I saw him on the weekend - he looks fantastic.

As I said earlier feed what ever suits you..

Why do you say that? There is no reason that dogs and pups for that matter can't be raised on a raw diet.

Huski,

You are right, but whoever uses a raw diet needs to make sure the diet is entirely balanced and not just guesswork especially when they have a large breed. For large breeds they need an exacting amount of calcium to phosphorus ratio which is why the premium dog food companies bring out a LARGE BREED dog food specifically for their growth needs.

I brought my last Shepherd up entirely on raw from 8 weeks, he turned 7 at the beginning of the year and has had no problems and am now raising my new shepherd pup on it as well.

Talk to your breeder, thats the food they recommend and what they bring there dogs up on so i am sure they will be able to guide you which will take the guess work out of it and make you more confident that you are doing the right thing :happydance:

Huski,

What I meant was that when feeding dry food use premium quality. I don't mean however, that only dry food be fed. We feed our dogs a combination of dry food and a 'raw meaty bones' mix.

200g of the barf and 1 chicken frame doesn't sound like much to me for a 9wk old pup. What does your breeder recommend? I think another meal would be good to keep him more satisfied. I can't comment on the entirely raw diet as I've always fed a mix of dry and raw as I don't want to mess anything up during a really important growth period (not saying that you are doing it wrong just what works for me).

I know a GSD breeder who feeds only raw and never feeds her dogs commercial food. They are gorgeous, long-lived, very healthy dogs who do very well in the show ring, in performance sports and who make wonderful pets.