My Puppy Has Been Hurt :(

jaxdar

I'm sitting here crying and worrying while my husband has taken my 12 wk old pup to the vet.He's only been home since monday and has been curious about our older/bigger dog, bigger dog has ben showing his teeth and growling and puppy has usually been moving away or i move him away . He's been getting a bit cockier these last few days and this morning my older dog snapped at him and pinned him down, puppy was yelping :thumbsup: and had blood coming from the top of his head

I'm devastated and feel sick and so so guilty, my older dog has never hurt another animal before.

God i hope he'll be ok, i love him so much already :(:love:

Oops- small puppies and older dogs :(

my older dog has never hurt another animal before.

he has probably not had a nuisance pup annoying him all the time :love: he was doing what dogs do- trying to teach nuisance pp some manners !not his fault!!

I do hope it's just a skin nick, and he's back home soon.

:thumbsup:

Hope your puppy is going to be ok and hopefully his injury is not too bad.

We have had our new pup for about 2 weeks now and at this stage we have not allowed our older dog to have free run with the pup - they have meet and have daily contact but through a chainlink fence or on a leash.

It can be hard for the older dog to suddenly have to share their home with a new dog. It is one thing for visitors but a new addition can be considered a threat. Puppies can be a bit full on and for a dog not used to them - they are a real pain.

Edited by Tilly

Unfortunately, this is how some pups learn that when an older dog tells them to back off, they'd better listen.

Your older boy probably only bit once, if at all. A big snap can leave a gash. My older poodle boy used to pin pups that were hassling him - and they learned not to.

My Whippet pup also learned the hard way that not all dogs appreciate his special brand of attention.. but he did learn.

Don't blame your older boy - he gave plenty of warning signs and the cocky young whipper snapper didn't listen. In dog terms, he had it coming. Pups heal fast.

Edited by poodlefan

He's been getting a bit cockier these last few days and this morning my older dog snapped at him and pinned him down, puppy was yelping crying.gif and had blood coming from the top of his head

remember the size difference and puppy skin is fragile.

The big dog is probably sick of the little ones harassment. Remember to always provide your dogs with time apart and the ability to get away from each other.

If the bigger dog has been showing his teeth and growling a lot I would be considering limited interaction only when you are around or have the puppy on lead until the older one accepts the puppy.

Thank you so much for your replies and advice.....i've just had a call from my husband and he is ok, apparently the puncture is on his forehead so it was close and could have been alot worse.

I've told my big dog it's not his fault and i won't let the puppy anoy him anymore! They will be kept seperate until pup is older, hopefully he has learnt his lesson though.

I feel terrible , i've been doing all this research on diet,training, grooming......and just forgot about what pups are like with older dogs.

We're on acreage and there are no enclosed areas so hubby is building him an enclosed area attached to he house that he can access from the laundry older dog will have the rest of the property.

a good bonding time is in the evening when both dogs are in the living room with you and having a snooze on their respective beds. Slepp them separately and do not let the get onto each others beds unless the other dog invites them

Dont just separate and then introduce down the track the pup still needs to learn canine body language and respect. I would be putting it with a less cranky dog :thumbsup: and have it on leash with the older one, correct it with a little tug on the leash if it gets too boistrous. Make good habits now and they have a better chance of getting along in the long run.

Oh, put medicinal grade Manuka honey on the puncture.. heals them beautifully. You pup might be a bit sticky for a while but it works. smile.gif

or running about in circles trying to lick it off ... or is that just my lot :thumbsup:

Oh, put medicinal grade Manuka honey on the puncture.. heals them beautifully. You pup might be a bit sticky for a while but it works. smile.gif

or running about in circles trying to lick it off ... or is that just my lot :thumbsup:

It will have to be especially talented to lick its own forehead though. :(

We're having the same problem with our 5 month old GSP and our cat. Leila is always in the cat's face which means the cat is a grumpy bitch!

The hissing and growling from the cat just makes the puppy more excited and crazy!

I think it will just take time....or at least I hope!

carey cut the tips off the cats claws or you risk your puppy with an eye injury or a shredded face

dont let the pup do it, if its untrustworthy keep it on a leash whilst inside to prevent accidents and make sure the cat has escape places