How To Walk A Beagle?

snuffysmum

my 5 month beagle puppy was a disaster the night we started obedience training, which was all about walking, poor thing wanted to sniff and play with the other dogs, and the trainer kept yelling "You, with the beagle"

i had to basically drag her the entire time, and she was choking, with huge slobbers coming out of her mouth, i hated the entire experience, and to make it worse, we had been having probs with walking to start, as we had been using a harness - and she was doing the lay down and refuse to move, if we were lucky enough to catch her to put it on

although the walker lead is called a clicker - has anyone else heard of this - seems like a choker to me, but I am very new to this puppy training, but am loving it :thumbsup:

:laugh: you, with the beagle!!! I love it. Because we got the same thing!! We got a sigh followed by, ok bring the beagle here.

What do we do on walks? We got told by a trainer to walker her on a short leash and if she pulls ahead to give her a quick tug and an 'ah no' to let her know that pulling ahead is not acceptable. I just realised that sounds a little brutal but its not. Its also not that effective given that we have been walking her since she was 8 weeks. Every 10 minutes on our walk she must sit for me and then she gets 'free dog' time where she gets to do as she pleases for the radius of the leash. This goes for no more than 2 minutes or if she seems disinterested in anything then we sit and then continue our walk.

I might try the changing directions technique although I'm wondering if it still effective when she pulls from the moment her paws hit the side walk.

All this just concerns me that she is getting worse. And really she is 5 months now - progess would be encouraging. There just has to be something for me to do to make it better for her.

Her recall isn't fantastic either... birds are far more interesting than mama...

We are located in Blackburn, Melbourne...

Thanks everyone for your input - huski, i love your posts but really, everyone's stories and advice really make me feel better

x

artimus'mama try the food technique I listed above.

having such a short leash can make it worst especially if the dog feels some pressure. Corrections work on the theory of differences - first there is no sensation then there is one that makes a difference to the exhibited behavior. A bit of pressure and then a small correction is not enough of a 'difference' to the dog to say 'hey dont do that' and you find they continue the behavior.

I do consults in Melb if you need a hand with anything just email me or PM through here. By 5 months you should have loose lead walking.

While loose lead walking can be challenging- you should be seeing progress from walk to walk or week to week if the techniques you are using are suitable for the dog you have and being implemented correctly. Sometimes a session with a professional trainer can really get you on the right track and clear up the confusion- for you and the pup!

artimus'mama try the food technique I listed above.

having such a short leash can make it worst especially if the dog feels some pressure. Corrections work on the theory of differences - first there is no sensation then there is one that makes a difference to the exhibited behavior. A bit of pressure and then a small correction is not enough of a 'difference' to the dog to say 'hey dont do that' and you find they continue the behavior.

I do consults in Melb if you need a hand with anything just email me or PM through here. By 5 months you should have loose lead walking.

Thanks, I will try the techniquest and see what works for the little one. I will let you know if any additional help is needed :)

Thank you for the support.

While loose lead walking can be challenging- you should be seeing progress from walk to walk or week to week if the techniques you are using are suitable for the dog you have and being implemented correctly. Sometimes a session with a professional trainer can really get you on the right track and clear up the confusion- for you and the pup!

I definately agree that sometimes it my take an extra set of eyes to see if we're doing the right thing for the little monster. I am more concerned that I am not doing something correctly.

artimus'mama there are some fantastic trainers here on DOL who could give you the added help/assistance and advice you need now while the pup is still young. Underdog training are fantastic with the "Evil Beagles" and we highly recommend them and Golden Acres training for their knowledge and experience with our breed!!

Look for trainers who think outside the square, who are willing to acknowledge that beagles whilst stubborn are NOT stupid and who will show you how to enjoy your time with your beagle!

Feel free to PM us for any advice and welcome to the wonderful world of beagles!

Edited by crazy beagle lady

artimus'mama there are some fantastic trainers here on DOL who could give you the added help/assistance and advice you need now while the pup is still young. Underdog training are fantastic with the "Evil Beagles" and we highly recommend them and Golden Acres training for their knowledge and experience with our breed!!

Look for trainers who think outside the square, who are willing to acknowledge that beagles whilst stubborn are NOT stupid and who will show you how to enjoy your time with your beagle!

Feel free to PM us for any advice and welcome to the wonderful world of beagles!

:) Crazy beagle lady.. that' my name in the office :)

:) Crazy beagle lady.. that' my name in the office :)

And I definately agree that Beagles are not stupid - far from it. Our little one is exceptionally smart - perhaps even a little too smart... you can't be evil and dumb..

• 2 weeks later...

She is so brilliant at everything else but its just so discouraging for her and for us that a five minute walk down to the park is so difficult. And this is the one thing we really want to be easy for her so that she can really enjoy nice long walks with us.

We're not phased if she's sniffing away - its part of having a beagle but the pulling is relentless and it needs to stop.

Thoughts?

Probably a bit late in posting this now but I would love to share my "break through"! I bought a "lupi" harness that goes around the chest and through the front legs. When Snuffy pulls on it, it shortens under her legs and she either goes up in the air or nowhere at all. It is the most fantastic thing I have ever bought! Within about 1 minute of fitting it and walking with her the pulling stopped and she walked like a normal dog without pulling my arm out of its socket. Now she walks at a normal pace (with her nose to the ground of course!!!) and I can concentrate on teaching her how to heel etc. I can't tell you how relieved I am that I can walk her now without stressing out. My other dog Shadow is even more pleased - we can all walk together! YAY!!!!!!

Hey snuffy. Thats great news!! We have walked Bailey a few times. She pulls and when she does i just pull her back to me and say heel as i do so. She walks next to me for a while then goes back to pulling. I might try that Lupi harness. Where did you get it from?

Ben