Meeting A Breeder- Gilbert Is Home!

Cosmolo

Well, we have just arranged to meet our first breeder after conversations and emails with many. Just have a few questions (as we've never bought a dog from a breeder before)

What should we take with us- photos of our dogs? Reference from our vet? Photos of the yard or fences? The breeder hasn't asked for anything and has seen our website so i'm not sure if we should take something anyway?

We have asked heaps of questions and don't really feel like we need to ask anything else- but the breeder might expect us to ask more and i am worried about having nothing to say! Is there anything we might have forgotten?

If you go to see one breeder and LOVE everything about them and their dogs, should you still go and see others?

Edited by Cosmolo

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you turn up with lots of photos and references the breeder will probably start wondering what you have to hide.

You're going to meet someone who is passionate about dogs, just pretend it's a DOL meet :laugh:

Don't get dressed up, your dog-visiting!

Once you get there you'll probably think of lots of questions to ask - mostly about the dogs in front of you. Be prepared to be bombarded with pet names, achievements, quirks and habits, you won't remember most of it when you go home.

I would visit a couple of other breeders just so you have something to compare with....unless you have really good references for this breeder from some people you know?

I would take along photos of your dogs (just to show how proud you are of them), but agree the rest would be overkill.

If I found a breeder & LOVED everything about them & their dogs, I would not go & see others.

One question I will always ask a breeder from now on is what makes the dam & sire a good match, both in terms of physical attributes & in terms of temperament. I would be wary of any breeder who did not have an immediate answer for this and think it's an important question to hear a response on.

Cosmolo - how exciting - what breed if you don't mind me asking?

Ok this stuff is from the point of view of one who is 30 and gushes like a little school girl when she sees puppies or dogs of her favourite breeds :crazy::o

- do up a list of things you want to ask so you don't forget to ask stuff when you start gushing over their gorgeous dogs!

- yeah take some piccies of your dogs with you - and gush over them and how you're going to integrate the pup

- prepare yourself to be frisked by the breeder if oddly you have grown a massive stomach in two seconds under you over sized trench coat (trying to steal a dog cause you can't wait for the puppies to be born or the whole litter is under there - :( )

But seriously

Go sse other breeder after and you will know which one is the one - I know I did with my cat's breeder, Marilyn was amazing comparative to all the other we saw and knew we had made the right choice with her! :laugh:

Best of luck can't wait to see Fluppy Piccies!!!! :cry:

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Ooh Tamara that is so exciting! When do you go? I hope they are the breeder you have been waiting for. :laugh:

If you are happy, you don't need to visit others. When we bought our cats it only took one breeder and we were happy. However when looking for another kitten, we went to a few awful breeders and they just confirmed how great the first was. :cry:

:laugh: at PPS- i'm not the teary type so i don't think that will be too much of a worry! Can i ask why they cried?

Thats a great question Vickie- thanks! Will take it easy on the photos etc- just a little nervous because we haven't done this before and i am not sure what to expect.

Won't get dressed up- used to dealing with muddy paw prints!

oh and its a JRT

Take your pictures, references etc and leave them in the car - it will make you feel better.

If the breeder asks for the above stuff you will have it - I doubt they will thou.

If your only going to visit, I would, as other's have said, just be yourself. Find out if you are comforatable with this person, is this the kind of person you can imagine calling if you have a problem with one of their pups?

I like to like the breeder i choose, and form a partnership, it doesn't have to be a super close partnership, but one that is still built on respect and trust.

So, I'd be getting to know them, what their philosophy is regarding breeding..look around and see their dogs and enjoy. If you feel uncomfortable with them, then move on.

Best of luck

Edited by Lynai

:laugh: at PPS- i'm not the teary type so i don't think that will be too much of a worry! Can i ask why they cried?

Apparently the sight of a brindle Stafford litter reduced them to tears, as they reminded them so much of their old dog.

A brindle litter is enough to make me cry too, but not for the same reason :cry:

Hi Cosmolo, you must be very excited, and so you should be. It sounds as though you have a really good attitude about the whole thing and I commend you for taking the time and effort in trying to make everything work out beautifully. I am sure it will.

My advice would be to try to be as relaxed as possible when you arrive. This will be difficult, as you will probably be anxious, nervous and excited.

And yes, as others have said, be yourself, but the breeder will prefer to see a calm new puppy person for her pup to go to. They will want to know that you can listen and take advice. You will not have to know everything, but be willing to learn. A good breeder is a wealth of knowledge and experience. You can learn so much from your breeder.

As you have said, you have already asked a lot of questions and had discussions, and certainly if you think of any more questions, write them down and take the list with you. But, you will no doubt find that the breeder will ask you plenty of questions, so you will not need to be spending the entire time thinking up questions.

Try not to come across as "know it all". I am not suggesting that you will, but I don't think a breeder would appreciate that.

Have you decided whether you will be crating your pup at all?

If so, I find it very useful to chat to the breeder about this. Quite often the breeder will be more than happy to do some initial crating of your pup in the last couple of weeks before you take it home, to assist in the transition, (that is if the breeder is an advocate of crating).

Another little tip I like is to buy a nice new blanket or soft toy that you would leave with the breeder for the pups to play with or snuggle into. You would bring it home with you when pup comes home, and this also assists with transition as the object with have little sibling smells etc all over it. Very comforting for pup. It doesn't matter if it gets destroyed. But usually the breeder would just wrap blanket around the puppies several times or pop it into a basket or similar for it to absorb the smells. This initial trip would not necessarily be the time to leave the blanket. I am unsure if you would be going back to see the pups again later, but if you are, you could take one then if you wanted to and if the breeder is OK with it.

Of course the blanket and crating suggestions are things that can be brought up at a later visit, if you do not feel they are appropriate until you have definitely decided upon this breeders' puppies. Not necessarily essential at this early stage, but certainly food for thought.

Best of luck with everything. And lots of piccies please. :rofl:

I think an entire album of your dogs and plaster casts of their paws is a good idea.

Also a current criminal history check, evidence of home ownership and complete financial statements. :rofl:

And lemonade scones. :rofl:

Just remember that breeders are dog people too. I've never seen dog people have trouble getting a conversation going.. stopping on the other hand. :p :rofl: