Meeting A Breeder- Gilbert Is Home!

Cosmolo

just be prepared for that door to open and all their dogs to run in to see who is here!

:wave::rofl: I got to my breeders house and got accosted by four adult Shar Pei before I got anywhere near the puppies. Who am I kidding? I loved it and got down on the ground for cuddles with everyone!!! :):wave:

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Cosmolo you will have a blast!

If they want character refrences just send them to DOL!

I agree with all the above, be yourself, don't get too worried you are not being interviewed for a puppy, it is more a get to know you and what type of people you are. Over time the breeder will get to know what your desires and wants from a puppy are, and hopefully match you up with your perfect mate.

Have a great time :wave:

Guest Clover

Have fun Cosmolo, just be yourself :wave:. If it is the breeder i am thinking of i am jealous, i adore their dogs :).

What should we take with us

Just yourselves. You're not going for a job interview, babe. Goodluck - not that you'll need it. You're not going to have your head ripped off :wave:

I sent info ahead of the meeting time, so the breeder would already have the basic information about us as pet owners & what we could offer.

Then. on the day, we could just chat with each other. And the breeder could ask for anything extra.

The info was a single page summary about the pets we'd owned to date, photos of our home showing fences etc, names of people she could call for references & another summary of the lifestyle the pet would have with us.

Best wishes. I'm sure all will go well.

• 4 weeks later...

Well just an update to let everyone know we met with the breeder last week and it was great. We got to meet and interact with all their dogs and watch them interact with each other, play with the bigger dogs and be very obedient and well behaved little dogs. She also breeds curly coats and they were beautiful dogs too!

We asked questions, the breeder asked us questions and we have decided we would definitely like one of her puppies at some time in the future. She has been in touch since the meeting and said she'd be happy for us to have a pup from the next litter :laugh:

We are so excited and feel like we have definitely made a good decision so far. The next litter won't be for some time (6-12 months) but we are happy to wait. Thanks to everyone for their advice and well wishes- hopefully we'll have puppy pics to show soon!!

Edited by Cosmolo

Woohoo!!!

IMO not only are you guys going to be lucky to get a fabulous pup but the breeder is lucky to have you guys adopting a dog from them. As you know I would probably pay you to take a dog as I've seen how your dogs live!!! :D :laugh:

Cosmolo, Relax already!!!

When I have prospective puppy buyers in my home to meet the dogs and ourselves, I have already ALMOST decided that I would sell them a pup, from letters, emails, phone conversations etc. The meet & greet is just to confirm my decision. The breeder should know enough about you already by this stage.

We just hang around having a cuppa and talk dogs for a while before I even bring any dogs into the house for them to meet.

Only once have I changed my mind about some body having a pup and that was with a very recent litter.

The couple arrived dressed in their Sunday best - tweed jacket and slacks, enough jewellery to buy the whole litter etc.

I assumed they were just trying to make a good impression.

Then, when I let in a bunch of rowdy dogs, my opinion changed.

The woman screamed as the pups mother jumped up for pats, and the man backed into a corner away from the ruccuous!

They then spent the next 10 minutes trying to remove some dog hair from her jacket while I am giving them the run-down on my dogs and never heard a word I said! They did not even pat the dogs, nor ask which one was 'Mum' etc.

My sixteen month-old daughter can handle the dogs when they're carrying on like that!

Needless to say, I never even showed them the pups...

I dont think YOU have anything to worry about Cosmolo! :laugh: Best of luck with your new Jack!

jerojath :):laugh: My house is covered in dog hair as is every item of clothing i own already :laugh:

Thanks Trisven, i await the day where i wake up to find a carefully placed fauve puppy in my backyard ;)

Guest rhapsodical78
jerojath :rofl::laugh: My house is covered in dog hair as is every item of clothing i own already :(

Thanks Trisven, i await the day where i wake up to find a carefully placed fauve puppy in my backyard :o

Why a JRT, if you don't mind me asking?

Don't mind at all- Lots of reasons :laugh: We wanted a small dog who is active, robust and energetic enough to keep up with our existing dogs, intelligence and boldness were qualities high on the list. We have seen lots of JRT's- some are brilliant little dogs and others that had plenty of potential. Their looks do appeal to us as well but this is of course secondary. There were a few other breeds we had considered at different stages but the Jack's certainly won out. :(

There are other breeds we would like to own too (Alaskan Malamutes high on the list) and at some point in our lives hopefully we will!

Guest rhapsodical78
Don't mind at all- Lots of reasons :happydance2: We wanted a small dog who is active, robust and energetic enough to keep up with our existing dogs, intelligence and boldness were qualities high on the list. We have seen lots of JRT's- some are brilliant little dogs and others that had plenty of potential. Their looks do appeal to us as well but this is of course secondary. There were a few other breeds we had considered at different stages but the Jack's certainly won out. :cheer:

There are other breeds we would like to own too (Alaskan Malamutes high on the list) and at some point in our lives hopefully we will!

Cool. They do have a lot of good features. I'm always interested in hearing why someone wants a particular breed. I agree that a lot of them have a lot of great potential.

I had to laugh when I read this thread, because OP has soooo much experience with dogs! Me, on the other hand, has just recently approached a breeder to see if they'd accept me, and thankfully they did! BUT, I was a total bundle of nerves doing it! :cheer: It didn't help that I'd been told by one breeder, that the breeder I was interested in was very picky with who they chose to have their babies! So I am very pleased to see it wasn't just my own silliness, and was something that other's had experienced. Thanks for making me feel less like a tool! :happydance2:

jerojath :):) My house is covered in dog hair as is every item of clothing i own already :o

Thanks Trisven, i await the day where i wake up to find a carefully placed fauve puppy in my backyard :p

You need one of these, Cosmolo. Magic !!

2009Electrostaticbrush001.jpg

I have bright red, suede-look covered couch and for the first time since I bought it, I can get it hair free - :thumbsup:

oh lol

i have in my lifetime to date acquired a few breeds that may not suit the beginner

but not once did i get a grilling from the breeders

well - no i lie...once when i was looking at a pap the woman asked if i had children under 8 cos she wasnt prepared to send a tiny dog to a household with little kids

thats about it

one time i asked a breeder if she wanted to know anything about me and my situation but i guess she already knew a bit by the questions i was asking of her and that i was aware of what the breed was like

never have they asked for photos of yards nor taken me up on an offer to visit - even when it was important to have fully fenced yards etc- they just took my word for it

makes me sad but it is business for a lot of them

and i can absolutely say that not one of them has ever shown an interest in any follow up

even when there were some genetic tests involved

nope

i dont put my faith in breeders so i just make sure i do as much asking and gutfeeling as i can

even then it can be potluck if youre unfortunate to strike problems