Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Troy

Are they are generally considered "wanderers" and would responsible breeders only sell to those with suitable fencing? As a former Beagle breeder - I always insisted that any potential buyer was aware of the potential of wandering/escaping and had secure fencing.

I wouldn't call Staffords wanderers as such, but if they're left at home alone without adequate fencing they'll go off to find something more interesting to do. I won't sell to people without adequate fencing and I would guess all reputable breeders would feel the same, but sadly our breed is plagued by a lot of less than reputable breeders :eek: Yes, I do make sure puppy buyers understand the breeds need for human company and it's determination (which can lead to fence climbing etc).

When I was initially looking for a Stafford, none of the breeders I narrowed down to would sell me a male as I already have a male.

I have since come across plenty of owners who have a male Stafford with another male dog.

Do most ethical breeders insist on puppy buyers getting the opposite sex or did I just ask the 'wrong' people for my cause?

When I was initially looking for a Stafford, none of the breeders I narrowed down to would sell me a male as I already have a male.

I have since come across plenty of owners who have a male Stafford with another male dog.

Do most ethical breeders insist on puppy buyers getting the opposite sex or did I just ask the 'wrong' people for my cause?

I see no reason why anyone can't own two male dogs, it all comes down to the temperament of the individual dogs and the owners experience. A dog and a bitch tend to be a better match on the whole but again it comes down to the individual dogs.

From my own experiences, they don't call bitches " bitches" for no reason.

Just a couple more things I've noticed with my Stafford:

He is really good at entertaining himself, and will happily spend several hours wandering the back yard, playing with leaves, sticks and toys by himself, doing zoomies etc. He doesn't need me or other dogs to make him do things.

Yes, he can fart! But after trial and error I've worked out that he mainly does it after eating pork and when he's stressed. So by limiting those things, the house is virtually fart free. Of course, this means that when he actually does fart, it's even worse because I'd forgotten just how bad it was.

He relaxes very quickly. On walks, if I stop and chat with someone, he is happy to stand next to me and look around or even lie by my side in the frog position until I'm ready to continue walking. No complaints from him, ever.

post-11976-1245837935_thumb.jpg

post-11976-1245838004_thumb.jpg

I will not sell a pet buyer a dog the same sex as a young or middle aged one they already have, or one that they have a lot of contact with (for eample, extended family living together, "always" visiting, live next door to etc) IMO this is setting everyone up for a possible failure. It does depend on the age of the other dog obviously - so someone with a 10 year old bitch would be fine to get another bitch.

I would like to know the difference in the colours:

Red, Fawn, and Blue Fawn and Ive also heard Tan mentioned.

Thanks

Red & fawn are different shades of the same colour, there is no real definition of where one ends and the other starts and if you ask 50 people you'll get 60 different answers. Genetically they may or may not be the same colour - the jury is out so far as I know. Blue fawn is a red smut dog displaying the dilutant blue gene - without the blue gene it would be a red smut (red with black speckles through the coat) as it carries the dilute gene the black is diluted to blue and the red to fawn. Some people also use "blue fawn" to describe a fawn dog with a blue mask (same as a black masked red or fawn except with the dilute gene). Tan is a description which I believe escaped from the pit bull world. It is never used by anyone who knows much about Staffords.

I agree with most points being made about the breed here although I have found that mine need a lot of exercise - at least an hour a day if I hope to have their energy levels on par with mine by the time it comes time for me to sit down and watch some TV. Without a good run next to me on the bike they have been known to literally bounce off the walls!! If it's terrible weather outside - it's off to the dog pool for laps which also does the trick! :hug:

Also, regarding separation anxiety issue - I believe it's how you condition them moreso than a 'breed specific issue' as such. If you make a fuss first moment you walk in the door - yes, the dog will become anxious waiting for your arrival when you're out and suffer anxiety - without a fuss coming and going shouldn't be an issue.

:)

How common (or rare) are pied SBTs? I've seen them in the show ring but I don't think I've ever seen one on the street.

They pop up every now and then in the course of a normal litter, it just depends on what's behind the dog and bitch. Plenty of breeders like their pieds and a well marked pied is always eye catching.

They are certainly not "rare" and like any colour would be open to exploitation should they become heaven forbid "popular"

The first time I heard the "staffy scream" I thought it was a possum fight! :mad It seems quite unique to the breed. Are many SBTS vocal?

My guys are all quite vocal :)

They each have their own specific "sounds" which often have us laughing at them.

I was advised of the same thing in the early days of us looking for a second stafford.

But I also believe that it comes down to the indivdual dog and in some instances the lines they are from. If you have two dogs that come from a line of firey dogs then you could be setting yourself up for some hurt. With the right research I don't think it is impossible.

One thing I have noticed alot with Staffords more than any other breed (probably due to their popularity) is them wandering the streets either alone or in pairs. Are they are generally considered "wanderers" and would responsible breeders only sell to those with suitable fencing? As a former Beagle breeder - I always insisted that any potential buyer was aware of the potential of wandering/escaping and had secure fencing.

I would not sell a pup or adult dog to anyone that did not have suitable fencing.

what fence height would you suggest for potential owners?

I would recommend a 6 foot fence as Staffords can be great jumpers/climbers.

Is there any particular TYPE of fence that is best - one that can limit their ability to climb over? I have had a "staffy" climb over a colorbond fence of that height.

It's frequently said in Stafford circles that the Stafford won't usually start the fight, but they'll gladly finish it.

Can this cause problems though with normal dog interactions which the Stafford takes as being "starting" a fight? I am thinking particularly of situations like dogs in adjoining yards who often have territorial disputes at the boundary line - most dogs tend to bark and posture a bit then leave it alone after making their point. Is a Stafford more likely to see it as a fight that needs to be finished?

what fence height would you suggest for potential owners?

I would recommend a 6 foot fence as Staffords can be great jumpers/climbers.

Is there any particular TYPE of fence that is best - one that can limit their ability to climb over? I have had a "staffy" climb over a colorbond fence of that height.

I have 6ft colorbond all round with concrete underneath. This has kept my stafford in, however she has climbed over a 6ft chainmesh fence.

If they still jump 6ft you could get the lattice extented panels that go on top of the colorbond to make it higher

It's frequently said in Stafford circles that the Stafford won't usually start the fight, but they'll gladly finish it.

Can this cause problems though with normal dog interactions which the Stafford takes as being "starting" a fight? I am thinking particularly of situations like dogs in adjoining yards who often have territorial disputes at the boundary line - most dogs tend to bark and posture a bit then leave it alone after making their point. Is a Stafford more likely to see it as a fight that needs to be finished?

Not usually - because Staffords aren't stupid :p If the other dog does not actually stay at the fence and offer a physically confrontation, then a Stafford will do the posturing etc too. That said - I wouldn't have anything other than solid fencing along a boundary where another dog frequented - better safe than sorry.

Incidentally - I don't consider fence fighting to be a normal dog activity!

• 3 weeks later...

to state the the sbt was a purpose bred pit fighting dog is historically incorrect.

the legislation banning all bloodsports was enacted in 1835 & the sbt was not recognised as a pure breed until 1935. even then the standard presented & accepted was controversial & amended in 1948.

this is not to say some didn't bred sbts as fighters, but the breed in general was not.

what we are talking about are the ancestors of the sbt. dogs that were in fact bred to a physical condition considered ideal for the purpose. the unlikely mix of the old bulldog & terriers prove to be that ideal combination.

people should consider the era & the area when formulating any opinion of the history of the breed.

books written by professional dog book writers give a scant, scatter gun histories, not only of staffies but of all their subjects

south staffordshire, the black country, is considered the place of origin of this wonderful little dog.

the era was one were the majority of the population lived in a feudal type environment not that far removed from the dark ages. they worked in the ''lords'' mill/mine/foundry, they lived in his houses, in his towns. they were depressed peoples living in what could probably be best descibed as squalor.

still remembering the era, the one thing these people had in abundance were rats....plenty of 'em.

households kept little house dogs to keep the vermin population under control, & as bed warmers on the cold nights. the dogs lived a selfserve existence, they weren't fed per se, the people couldn't afford to waste their food on dogs, they ate what they caught.

this was the era when dog fighting was a social event & a much loved ''sporting'' activity, it was also a chance for the worker to earn a few pennies by putting his dog in the pits at the local boozer on a saturday night..

to this end, oic vermin & bed warming, which invariably was that ideal mixture of bull & terrier .....not by accident. by design.....would assumed his part time job. pit fighter.

consider the time it would take from puppy to pit & you will realise these dogs, while purpose bred for their physical & mental attributes, were not exclusively pit dogs. far from it.

matter of fact if a census was performed at the time & mr bullnterrier had to list his primary duty as ''occupation'' it would have been ....''ratter''.

not romantic or swashbuckling i know....but true non the less.

staffy V stafford.

i can't believe someone is blaming the woes of the breed on people who call their little warrior dogs ''staffies''

staffy is the universally adopted, easily recognised, affectionate term in general use for this wonderful, much loved breed.

a question was also put how to better present the image of the breed to the public?. presenting an elitist front is certainly not the way.

''staffy'' certainly more portrays my little guys cheeky, exhuberant, fun loving, irreverent, larrikin, loving personallities than ''stafford''...pip pip, tally ho & away....too pompous for the breed imo. this is a cloth cap, gladstone bag , sleep at your feet in the pub breed.....not the deerstalker hat variety favoured by those who pay someone else to love 'em

besides amstaff people are more & more refering to their breed as ''staffords''.

i have staffies, six of 'em, well bred, healthy ankc registered, show competitive staffies....i luv 'em...they luv me....that's what it as all about.....share the love.

hey raz......gotta luv it......i didn't ever say they were bred as ratters, just that was their main job.

Edited by kip mckool

hey raz......gotta luv it......i didn't ever say they were bred as ratters, just that was their main job.

I think we have a crossed wire here somewhere, Dougie. My question about ratting was based on what a stafford breeder friend told me. So care to clarify for a non stafford person? How much ratting did they do in the early days as opposed to organised fighting? Thanks in advance.

I think we have a crossed wire here somewhere, Dougie. My question about ratting was based on what a stafford breeder friend told me. So care to clarify for a non stafford person? How much ratting did they do in the early days as opposed to organised fighting? Thanks in advance.

it's in the post you took the quote from.

a scenario ......dog fight could last say 1/2 hour, give or take.....& even the winner would be pretty chewed up.

recovery time to again be competitive?....maybe 4-6 weeks....maybe more

time in the pits?....1/2 hour every 4/8 weeks ?....it's all a guess for sure, but an educated guess non the less.

Edited by kip mckool