Amstaff In Adelaide?

Teebs

Hi Guys!

Just a quick question, a friend of mine has just got a new dog, a Amstaff X. They are in Adelaide and were not sure of how BSL works there (and i have no idea). They are worried that even though the dog is chipped and came from a pound, that the ranger can still pick them up for having a restricted breed? I know in NSW it can happen, but not sure about Adelaide.

Would love it if someone could give me some info so i can pass onto them!

Thanks!!

Cin.

Pretty sure there are not BSL laws here in adelaide

i do not think this is correct. there is a dog and cat management Act that has a list of prescribed breeds:

prescribed breed means any of the following breeds:

(a) American Pit Bull Terrier;

(b) Fila Braziliero;

© Japanese Tosa;

(d) Dogo Argentina;

(e) Presa Canario;

that requires the following:

require a person who owns or is responsible for the control of a dangerous

dog or a dog of a prescribed breed to produce evidence that the dog is

desexed;

additionally:

45B—Specific duties relating to dogs of prescribed breed

(1) A person who owns or is responsible for the control of a dog of a prescribed breed is

guilty of an offence if, while not effectively confined to premises of which that person

is the occupier, the dog—

(a) does not have a muzzle securely fixed on its mouth so as to prevent it from

biting any person or animal; or

(b) is not under the effective control of a person by means of physical restraint.

Maximum penalty: $2 500.

Expiation fee: $210.

(2) A person who owns or is responsible for the control of a dog of a prescribed breed is

guilty of an offence if the dog is not desexed.

(3) It is a defence to a charge of an offence against subsection (2) if it is proved that the

defendant believed on reasonable grounds that the dog was desexed.

(4) A person who sells or gives away, or advertises for sale or to give away, a dog of a

prescribed breed is guilty of an offence.

the best bet is to look up the Act which is where i got the info from http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/A/DO...ACT%201995.aspx

i do not think this is correct. there is a dog and cat management Act that has a list of prescribed breeds:

(b) Fila Braziliero;

© Japanese Tosa;

(d) Dogo Argentina;

(e) Presa Canario;

desexed;

additionally:

(1) A person who owns or is responsible for the control of a dog of a prescribed breed is

guilty of an offence if, while not effectively confined to premises of which that person

(b) is not under the effective control of a person by means of physical restraint.

(2) A person who owns or is responsible for the control of a dog of a prescribed breed is

(3) It is a defence to a charge of an offence against subsection (2) if it is proved that the

(4) A person who sells or gives away, or advertises for sale or to give away, a dog of a

the best bet is to look up the Act which is where i got the info from http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/A/DO...ACT%201995.aspx

What council area are they in Teebs? I found the exact information that Jaxx's buddy posted on my councils website maybe they can check theirs?

I'm clueless about SA.

But in general, I'd think it would be worth having a yarn with the Rangers in your Council.

BSL generally works however the local Rangers interpret the law. It should become pretty clear pretty fast whether they are nice or nasty in their interpretation of the laws. And if they aren't nasty, your friend should be in a good position to establish themself as a responsible member of the community who has rescued a dog and is trying to do the right thing.

(b) Fila Braziliero;

© Japanese Tosa;

(d) Dogo Argentina;

(e) Presa Canario;

desexed;

additionally:

What council area are they in Teebs? I found the exact information that Jaxx's buddy posted on my councils website maybe they can check theirs?

the info is directly from the Act so it would apply to all councils.

here is the link to the full Act http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/A/DO...ACT%201995.aspx

Im in the southern surburbs of Adelaide. I met an older couple recently that have just joined my obedience club with their new amstaff pup. They were telling me that the rangers here have really been harrassing them for proof of their dogs breed & they were really upset as they thought they may have their pup taken off them :)

Their pup is a registered pedigree amstaff & they do have the papers :eek:

This is the first time Ive heard of rangers here demanding proof of breed :wave:

i have had 2 pitty's for 10 years and never have i had any trouble about them with council ect......but they are really good dogs and have never been in trouble

its when the papers play on different dog breeds over here like rotties, pitty x and staffy types but thats another story hey

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys!

Just a quick question, a friend of mine has just got a new dog, a Amstaff X. They are in Adelaide and were not sure of how BSL works there (and i have no idea). They are worried that even though the dog is chipped and came from a pound, that the ranger can still pick them up for having a restricted breed? I know in NSW it can happen, but not sure about Adelaide.

Would love it if someone could give me some info so i can pass onto them!

Thanks!!

Cin.

I am not aware of any head hunting prescribed breeds in Adelaide with a general rule that providing the dog doesn't get into mischief and create the wrong attention, it should be fine. None the less, the worst that can happen is a dangerous dog notice being applied which means a leash and muzzle in a public place and a warning sign on your gate. They don't impound dogs in S.A. unless they have caused some serious problems. An Amstaff cross is not a prescribed breed and if it's a good dog, most authorities will accept that.

A couple I sold a amstaff pup to had the council demand the papers and also a DNA swab of the bitch before they would register, that was Logan Qld but it does show that councils are getting abit to big for their boots, I told them to tell the ranger to shove the DNA where the sun don't shine, he had spoken to me previously, knows my dogs are papered amstaffs and he isn't getting DNA lol