The Biggest Tantrum Yet

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I feel so totally pissed off. I feel like I stick to all the rules ... they sit and wait for their food, they don't barge through doors before me, they're not allowed on the furniture without being invited, they have to walk beside me ... it's just rules rules rules and no fun. I'm struggling to find any enjoyment in owning all these dogs :thumbsup:

ETA That sounds awful. I love them to bits and they make me laugh several times a day. I'm just feeling a bit defeated at the moment. I'll snap out of it :rofl:

That's ok. I getcha. You're feeling down-hearted at the moment. It will pass, and the more so if you look at your leadership activities as 'fun'. Take what they do (ie observation of the 'rules' and 'boundaries') and rejoice in the fact that they observe them. I mean, how clever are THEY !! And how clever are YOU that you can send signals in a manner they can understand!! :thumbsup:.

Use "TOT" (if you don't already) and turn it into a full-blown training regime (as each of them get better at it). I love meal times. I'm now at a point where the meal is in one room but I call my boy out and we do a short training regime (whether that be responsive sits, drops, heel, recall or whatever) before I release him with his release command to his meal. Gosh - if I was still doing the "you must look at me to get released to your meal" it would be very boring by now. Yet when he was a pup, I rejoiced at the fact he would do this one small thing. Expand on what your dogs know. Get them to do more. As I said - make it so that it is interesting for you and I bet you'll find your dogs will find it interesting and mind expanding too.

Ok - back to the "Chopper problem". See if you can check out if he has a stronger attachment to one or other of the dogs and let's see if we can work from there. Over the net, this will be limited, but maybe we can help you to a certain at least part way manageable degree, even if it isn't the whole solution.

No, he's been sleeping in it every night for the last two and a half years. He never needed to be trained, we just put his bed in there and he was happy to sleep in it :thumbsup:

I am not asking if he can sleep there at night.

I am asking what have you done to leave him there happily during the day .... seems like he DEFINITELY needs training!!!!!!!!

My old dog Sage used to do this sort of thing... in the end the problem was resolved with 24/7 access in and outside. But in saying this,she wasnt a problem barker

I wish u all the best in resolving the issue

I felt like you at times too Ruthless particularly when I was having huge huge issues with Onslow when I first got Tilly

and even now there are times when he frustrates me but he is 100% better than what he was and he loves and listens to me, Tilly is no longer scared of him and he knows his place

and yes things will improve especially as you are dedicated to the "cause" and not going to give up :thumbsup: sure you have a few steps back but then something happens and you know that you are on the right track :rofl::thumbsup: :rolleyes:

That's why I feel so totally pissed off. I feel like I stick to all the rules ... they sit and wait for their food, they don't barge through doors before me, they're not allowed on the furniture without being invited, they have to walk beside me ... it's just rules rules rules and no fun. I'm struggling to find any enjoyment in owning all these dogs :rolleyes:

ETA That sounds awful. I love them to bits and they make me laugh several times a day. I'm just feeling a bit defeated at the moment. I'll snap out of it :thumbsup:

That's ok. I getcha. You're feeling down-hearted at the moment. It will pass, and the more so if you look at your leadership activities as 'fun'. Take what they do (ie observation of the 'rules' and 'boundaries') and rejoice in the fact that they observe them. I mean, how clever are THEY !! And how clever are YOU that you can send signals in a manner they can understand!! :rofl:.

Use "TOT" (if you don't already) and turn it into a full-blown training regime (as each of them get better at it). I love meal times. I'm now at a point where the meal is in one room but I call my boy out and we do a short training regime (whether that be responsive sits, drops, heel, recall or whatever) before I release him with his release command to his meal. Gosh - if I was still doing the "you must look at me to get released to your meal" it would be very boring by now. Yet when he was a pup, I rejoiced at the fact he would do this one small thing. Expand on what your dogs know. Get them to do more. As I said - make it so that it is interesting for you and I bet you'll find your dogs will find it interesting and mind expanding too.

Ok - back to the "Chopper problem". See if you can check out if he has a stronger attachment to one or other of the dogs and let's see if we can work from there. Over the net, this will be limited, but maybe we can help you to a certain at least part way manageable degree, even if it isn't the whole solution.

Ruthless, I know the feeling of 'where is all the fun', I have it sometimes with one of my dogs, she has issues and sometimes it is really hard to deal with. I know how much you love your dogs but you are allowed to feel let down and disappointed sometimes.

Erny, I have really enjoyed reading your posts, very interesting reading. :thumbsup:

Oh Ruth,

Thats awful. Poor you and Chopper. :rofl:

God, I can only imagine how upset you were when you got home to that blood!

I absolutely understand what you mean about the "no-fun" thing. I hope Chopper works it out soon.

Big hugs.

:thumbsup:

Poor Chopper, Poor Ruthless, what a shock :rofl: He must have been very distressed :thumbsup:

Sorry I have no advice. I've always had several dogs but owing to some 'dog issues' have always kept them separate when I'm out etc. so luckily no sep issues. I understand your frustration, I have a very well trained dog who has an issue too. Not much fun when you try so hard. I hope you are able to help Chopper, he is just so cute and adorable, dear boy :thumbsup:

I feel sorry for you because as you say you dont have fun in having the dogs, which is not true, I know that much.

Im in two minds aobut Chopper, only because I like him.

One I would lock the bastard up in the run by himslef put the antibarking collar on him and take all 3 other dogs for a walk. And I would do it every day until he stopped his tantrums.

On another hand I would walk two dogs

That is Ivan with Chopper

Trixie with Chopper

Angel with Chopper

I only have one comment - the more physical excercise you will do the stronger, fitter, etc he will get and will need it more.

He needs to occupy his mind more then the body. Chasing a ball obviously doenst do enough for him.

When was the last time you taugh him a new complex behaviour?

the more physical excercise you will do the stronger, fitter, etc he will get and will need it more.

He needs to occupy his mind more then the body.

Agree with this.

Also- what is he like when walked alone?

maybe start that..and then crate him in another room, away from the others? so he can gently learn some independence?

Laffi I'm not familiar with crate games, but if you can recommend some reading I'll look into it, thanks for your input. Even if it did feel like you were shouting at me :mad

he is just so cute and adorable, dear boy :laugh:

I think that's where the problem started :rolleyes: Poor baby Chopper. How awful, he's upset, what can I do to keep him happy :thumbsup: Learn from my mistakes people, something good has to come out of this!!!

One I would lock the bastard up in the run by himslef put the antibarking collar on him and take all 3 other dogs for a walk. And I would do it every day until he stopped his tantrums.

This is why my OH likes you so much :rofl: You think just like him! My neighbours on the other hand might need some convincing. Maybe I'll drop a note in their letterboxes and say it'll only be for a week and please don't call the RSPCA as he isn't being skinned alive, despite how it sounds! :thumbsup:

It's been a while :laugh: I find it hard to do anything one-on-one with them. Taking Chopper to training on Saturdays is the only alone time I spend with any of the dogs. Quite probably why he feels he's the king shit :laugh:

This is why my OH likes you so much :thumbsup: You think just like him! My neighbours on the other hand might need some convincing. Maybe I'll drop a note in their letterboxes and say it'll only be for a week and please don't call the RSPCA as he isn't being skinned alive, despite how it sounds! :rolleyes:

Id be writing a month not a week, or make it nicer 40 days and 40 nights :rofl:

It's been a while :laugh: I find it hard to do anything one-on-one with them. Taking Chopper to training on Saturdays is the only alone time I spend with any of the dogs. Quite probably why he feels he's the king shit :laugh:

There are plenty of things you can do with two, or with one at home.

Try 3 dobes, that will give you an idea :thumbsup:

Edited by MonElite

the more physical excercise you will do the stronger, fitter, etc he will get and will need it more.

He needs to occupy his mind more then the body.

Agree with this.

Also- what is he like when walked alone?

maybe start that..and then crate him in another room, away from the others? so he can gently learn some independence?

I agree with crating him in another room away from the others and the main house activities to learn some independence.I have done the same thing with one of my shepherds who I had some problems with

good Luck with it all ruthless.I know what it's like to get to the stage where you just don't enjoy the dogs at times

I only have one comment - the more physical excercise you will do the stronger, fitter, etc he will get and will need it more.

He needs to occupy his mind more then the body. Chasing a ball obviously doenst do enough for him.

My girl Is very fit and In peak condition, she's quiet happy and doesn't need more, the more she gets, (she Is a very high prey dog too!) I do however agree with exercising the mind as well, nothing wrong with a combination of both, that Is fit mind and body!

He will always need new challenging things for his mind as well, so It's a constant process IMO

Are there any books specifically about building independence?

not a book, but honestly I would try this for a while

I would lock the bastard up in the run by himslef put the antibarking collar on him and take all 3 other dogs for a walk. And I would do it every day until he stopped his tantrums.

Ill add, Id leave him with a bone, which Im pretty sure he wouldnt touch, but there would be an option for him to do so.

And another thing, I would leave him with nothing when he is in his run when the other dogs are in their runs.

I would also play a lot with him on his own, other dogs in their runs, watching.

I would swap and play with another dog while he is watching, and would not let him out if he had a tantrum.

Edited by MonElite