Labrador Retriever

Troy

Question about labrador puppies:

Do they all go through a long and leggy stage?

My puppy has a playmate/boyfriend who is one week older than her, but seems much stockier, where as Mindy is now quite long legged and lean.

This puppy is also smaller than my puppy and shorter in body as well. His legs seem a bit thicker though, maybe he will go through a growth spurt soon though? What do the experts think?

RE: destructive/ naughty lab myth-

Just wanted to add, that my puppy is one of the best puppies, has not destroyed a single item in my home (apart from her toys and stuff we give her), toilet trained very quickly, extremely quick learner (better than my aussie shep) knows over 20 commands, brings in the paper in the morning, great with other people, kids and dogs but can ignore distractions when neccesary, excellent recall, so affectionate and loving, i couldn't ask for a better puppy!

At the moment she is curled up at my feet and work, I don't even need to tie her up.

Having said that, I am not an expert or experienced trainer, we have only done basics at puppy school and we are starting obedience next week, so it is entirely possible to have a well behaved lab with minimal effort (in my short experience). While she is not a "perfect" puppy (wouldn't that be boring?)- we've had a few accidents inside, some mouthing and jumping issues (now resolved), I persoanlly think she is turning out to be such a great little dog :rofl: She could probably be perfectly behaved with someone who actually knew what they were doing!

If anyone is thinking about getting a lab, please don't be put off by people saying that are crazy, pyscho, out of control etc, because its just not true- if you put a bit of time and effort into early training and mental stimulation you'll be rewared with a great companion

You are generalising about the breed based on your one dog. Some labs are a real handful regardless of how well they are raised. It's VERY important that people know the potential of the breed before they decide to buy a puppy. Too many lab pups are rehomed because of their behaviour because people bought them thinking they were fat, lazy couch potatoes.

Re: the lanky stage - it totally depends on the breeding of your lab. Some grow "together" so they just end up looking like minature adults until they reach full size, others seem to grow all different areas individually and end up leggy, bum high, long in the back etc until they are mature when they come back together again. Either way it's not really important. The finished dog is the most important thing and you may not see that until at least age 2 (even then they mature for another couple of years).

Hi everyone,

I am new to the lab area, well the puppy area full stop.

I apologise to anyone who has read my similar post in another thread - just want lots of ideas and thoughts

We have a 9 month old choc lab (Sorry blacklabrador, didn't actually realise they were flavour of the month - Just knew we didn't see too many around here, so many people comment how rare they are. We bought him because of the red dirt up here). He is a bit of a handful some days, but I wouldn't say he was completely destructive. He hasn't mastered all his commands, and obviously we have not taught this enough. We started him on retriever training with a friend when he was 5 months old, but unfortunately due to outside circumstances this only lasted 6 weeks. We will be commencing formal obedience training in the coming weeks (for both pup & our benefit).

I had read that it was not best to chastise a pup for being naughty if you didn't catch him in the act. Our problem is that I'm now wondering if we have given him too much lee-way. I was expecting a completely unruly, destructive pup...he's had his days! He's chewn the old wooden outdoor furniture (honestly were not worried about the furniture as we will be buying new stuff in a few years time), sneakily chewed some of the skirting inside, massacred our chilli and basil bushes (yes chilli!), and is now pulling passionfruit vines off the fence ( :laugh: they were only just starting to really grow!). I can accept all this chewing as I expected it to be much worse, but I'm unsure if I should be accepting it. He has heaps of toys that I rotate so he doesn't get bored, granted I could walk him more, he is inside lying at my feet whenever I'm home. How can I stop him chewing so much when I'm not home to witness it. He has a thing for chewing wood, and has done for a few months now, the vet doesn't seem concerned but I don't know if I should be.

Blacklabrador, how old is your lab? How do you have such an awesome entertaining area and backyard!!

I am keen to hear your thoughts on my ratbag pup.

Edited by misselaineyus

Hi everyone,

I am new to the lab area, well the puppy area full stop.

I apologise to anyone who has read my similar post in another thread - just want lots of ideas and thoughts

We have a 9 month old choc lab (Sorry blacklabrador, didn't actually realise they were flavour of the month - Just knew we didn't see too many around here, so many people comment how rare they are. We bought him because of the red dirt up here). He is a bit of a handful some days, but I wouldn't say he was completely destructive. He hasn't mastered all his commands, and obviously we have not taught this enough. We started him on retriever training with a friend when he was 5 months old, but unfortunately due to outside circumstances this only lasted 6 weeks. We will be commencing formal obedience training in the coming weeks (for both pup & our benefit).

I had read that it was not best to chastise a pup for being naughty if you didn't catch him in the act. Our problem is that I'm now wondering if we have given him too much lee-way. I was expecting a completely unruly, destructive pup...he's had his days! He's chewn the old wooden outdoor furniture (honestly were not worried about the furniture as we will be buying new stuff in a few years time), sneakily chewed some of the skirting inside, massacred our chilli and basil bushes (yes chilli!), and is now pulling passionfruit vines off the fence ( :rofl: they were only just starting to really grow!). I can accept all this chewing as I expected it to be much worse, but I'm unsure if I should be accepting it. He has heaps of toys that I rotate so he doesn't get bored, granted I could walk him more, he is inside lying at my feet whenever I'm home. How can I stop him chewing so much when I'm not home to witness it. He has a thing for chewing wood, and has done for a few months now, the vet doesn't seem concerned but I don't know if I should be.

Blacklabrador, how old is your lab? How do you have such an awesome entertaining area and backyard!!

I am keen to hear your thoughts on my ratbag pup.

You have referred to me twice but I don't think I'm who you actually are talking to????

No there is no point scolding a dog for anything you didn't see him do. It is counterproductive and very confusing for him - he'll have no association with what you're angry about. If he chews your plants while you're away there's nothing you can do about it except wait for him to grow out of it. He will grow out of it eventually. Really when you get any large breed pup you have to either fence of areas of the garden or expect to have it destroyed. It's part of the territory with the majority of pups in the first few years. However, never miss an opportunity to scold him if you see him chewing something forbidden in front of you.

My apologies blacklabrador, I have been mistaken. I should not be reading posts when I should be in bed.

Thank you for confirming my thoughts. I can live with the current destruction, as long as I'm not teaching him any long term bad habits. We expected this behaviour to continue for the next 2-4 years.

What are everyone's thoughts on check chains. I contacted the obedience club and they request that your dog be put on a check chain. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Unfortunately it is the only obedience club here.

Try spraying your wooden things with citronella oil. Most dogs do not like this smell, so will keep away from it. It may work for your plants too.

Apart from removing everything you don't want destroyed, try giving pup something he really likes to chew over other stuff. One of my lab pups is a chronic chewer, she's 10 months old. She loves to chew, and while she's chewing she's not doing other things like digging or jumping fences. I give her the big ends off the palm trees when they fall off. They take a long time to destroy, gives her something to do, and it prevents her from looking for other stuff to destroy. While I do try to make sure I don't leave things like shoes around for temptation, I have 3 kids who do leave stuff out, and she is much better at leaving their stuff alone now that she knows she is allowed to chew palm fronds to her hearts content.

Also try a kong with mince that has been frozen so that it takes longer to eat.

BTW, I had a chocolate lab that gradually chewed my black girls wooden kennel into non existence.

Started out as corners and edges, pulling planks off etc. I persisted over the months hammering the thing back together, until finally I walked outside one day to be confronted by a small pile of wooden rubble. He had chewed EVERY speck of that wooden kennel into inch size pieces overnight. I could not believe it, as there did not seem to be enough wood there, so whether he actually ate half of it I don't know. Needless to say I learnt my lesson with wooden kennels. Sadly my girl loved her kennel, and was not so happy with the plastic replacement.

Edited by je2910

Thought I'd try to add some photos. They are at 8 weeks; 6months & 9 months.

Je2910 - I bought some citronella smelling gel crystals when he was born to keep him off the garden - he walked straight over them. We've even tried putting deep heat on furniture to no avail. I gave him some rawhide sticks which temporarily stopped the chewing.

post-35631-1279597484_thumb.jpg

post-35631-1279597503_thumb.jpg

post-35631-1279597511_thumb.jpg

Edited by misselaineyus

Aawwww, love the puppy pic! Looks like he's a big boy now!

Well if he's determined to chew, what if you got some nice thick heavy duty branches, and rubbed them with chicken mince or sardines or something really yum to get his attention. If you were going out you could leave them as a distraction from your furniture. Maybe even soaked in some broth or something so the taste stays on the branch. Haven't tried it, but might work. :laugh::laugh:

Or marrow bones. Don't think he could chew through one of those too easily.

Question!!

Why do labrador owners tend to refer to their dog by colour and breed?

Haven't really noticed this.

But probably because there's a little bit of friendly rivalry between everyone's favourite colour labrador. :laugh:

There's no real differences between the colours.

I have 4 labs, and as most people don't know them, I don't refer to them by name in general posts. Paints a better picture to say "my choccie lab did this" rather than say "Tazer did this".

When people find out you have a Lab, the first question is usually What Colour anyway.

And as I have 1 of each colour, I can't really be biased!! :laugh:

I just find it funny, you don't have people refering to their dogs bycolour and breed anywhere near as much as lab people do, both on forums and in real life. Seems to be a worldwide phenomina too!

Question!!

But probably because there's a little bit of friendly rivalry between everyone's favourite colour labrador. :laugh:

except that blacks are better :laugh:

Question!!

except that blacks are better :laugh:

Of course! :o

I would like to say we love our yellow lab Oscar, but honestly he has been a very rude awakening,after bringing up a female G Shepherd from the same age, 9 months and not having half the hassle.and I do believe that that is the reason a lot of Labs are rehomed, because people get them from a pup leave them in the back yard to do their own thing they then become destructive and then,people abandon them.

I would also advise people of senior years not take on a pup, unless you are really fit, haha,an older dog maybe better.

We watched the movie Marley and me the other night, and if that's not oscar to a tea I'll go he, a great movie but sad at the end, cry.

I was inspired by the movie, and I have decided to write a book about our life with him.

there are some really funny moment's and some very frustrating moment's but I am sure it will be well going through in the end.

since we have had him, 2 months now, we haven't been game enough to go out togeather and leave him at home alone, I think it will be much easier in the warmer months though as we will be able to leave a clam pool out in the yard for him to play in with some toys, in a sectioned off area.

I love reading everyone else's comments about their labs as well.

lablove

Labs will use a clam shell in any weather. Mine have one permanently set up and it gets used every day. they seem to run through it every time they go past it! (It is permanantly muddy too, within 1 min of cleaning they are all in there ruining my efforts :thumbsup: )

Yes Lab puppies are hard work, but well worth the end result if you are willing to put in the hard yards to start with. I don't know if its because i have little kids, but I haven't found the puppy stage as terrible as some. At least they outgrow the "baby" stage in a year or 2!!! My toddler has me at my wits end, I'll take the labby puppies over her!

If you are too worried to leave him at home alone, maybe you could get a run or something to contain him while you are out. You will only end up resenting him if you can never take your eyes off him. A run may be better than something you build to divide the yard as it would probably be more heavy duty. We have been through different things like dog mesh etc, but they don't last long with the weight of a labrador on it. It will make him learn to occupy himself too.

Have you read the book "Marley and Me?" It is waaaay better than the movie. Lots more detail. :love:

• 2 weeks later...
This is a very debatable subject but I would not like to see a parent with more than a total score of 2 in an elbow. Hips I'd be a bit more flexible on - but a score of 5:5 is better than a score of 1:9 (even though both are under the breed average). The breed average for hips is 12 (at present) so ideally you would like to see both parents under that score. Also if possible, its good to research hip and elbow scores of grandparents, siblings, etc (if you can).

MM - whilst not disagreeing with you, I was wondering if you would consider the fact that a dog with a score of 1:9 (for example) may have had an injury relating to the average score, vs the better score of 1 on the other hip? Would you take this into consideration if choosing to use a dog with such a score?

I believe the incidence of injury is very relevant in determining the suitability for breeding etc, but unless you are the owner of the respective Labradors, it is a bit difficult to determine when to trust this as being the case for score variations to exist?

Also, in the example given where there was a 9 on one hip, this should be closely examined, and I would look at each of the criteria being assessed for each hip, and if any of these were above a 3, then I would be very reluctant to use for breeding, unless the incidence of injury could be proven (eg Vet report etc) that could be taken into consideration for the poor score..