Labrador Retriever

Troy

Labs will use a clam shell in any weather. Mine have one permanently set up and it gets used every day. they seem to run through it every time they go past it! (It is permanantly muddy too, within 1 min of cleaning they are all in there ruining my efforts :) )

Yes Lab puppies are hard work, but well worth the end result if you are willing to put in the hard yards to start with. I don't know if its because i have little kids, but I haven't found the puppy stage as terrible as some. At least they outgrow the "baby" stage in a year or 2!!! My toddler has me at my wits end, I'll take the labby puppies over her!

If you are too worried to leave him at home alone, maybe you could get a run or something to contain him while you are out. You will only end up resenting him if you can never take your eyes off him. A run may be better than something you build to divide the yard as it would probably be more heavy duty. We have been through different things like dog mesh etc, but they don't last long with the weight of a labrador on it. It will make him learn to occupy himself too.

Have you read the book "Marley and Me?" It is waaaay better than the movie. Lots more detail. :thumbsup:

Having wept thro` the movie a couple of times my children and I are laughig ourway through this book. We are lucky enough to have recently got a beautiful yello Lab and we can see a few similarities !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing quite like the beautiful face of a black labrador.

3971796934_1d986ea392_o.jpg

3971796670_e4c29de006_o.jpg

3994112512_2e9d19fb57_o.jpg

Fantastic photos.Esp the black on the red background.What alovely Lab.

I often think Labs look sad.We are on our third Lab ( in 15 yrs)and all have been the happiest, adored loving chaps but in photos they all look sad for some reason.

Question regarding lab temperament?

Are labs considered "velcro dogs"?

My puppy is pretty much like that and i quite enjoy it!

After my aussie who was quite independent and did not like being patted by strangers (not in an aggressive way, more of a walk away and ignore you type thing), this affection is quite welcome. She also gets very excited meeting new people her bum goes all wiggly and cute.

She must also always be touching some part of my body if I am resting with her which is just lovely.

i think you will find the answer to your question in the first post

Characteristics: Good tempered, very agile (which precludes excessive body weight or substance). Excellent nose, soft mouth, keen love of water. Adaptable, devoted companion.

well, my aussie was a devoted companion but not really a touchy feely dog :o

she liked to be with you, but that could mean be physically in the same room, or even the same house or area as you, not right by your side.

I thought velcro dog meant had to be right by your side all the time, always in the same room etc.

Mindy is fine to be left for a few hours but given the choice, would rather be on top of you every second of the day lol

Is there a difference between substance and excessive weight?

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta love a black Lab though here is a mother & son pic & BTW mother gained her CCD at Bathurst yesterday - 3 trails 3 passes! Clever girl Tua :laugh:

post-27124-1283047448_thumb.jpg

Mother Tua is putting her lump of an 8 month old son in his place!

Edited by Tapua

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, as i mentioned in a previous post, we got our yellow labrardor 4 days ago 'ELLA' :laugh:

I have already taught her to sit and drop (with food) and i was wondering how long do you wait till you faze out the food rewards and just give her praise? And how long does it usually take?

I am also trying to house train her, any ideas plze? I put her out 1st thing in the morning and at night and thru the day she is usually outside with me and the kids! I use a comand 'wee wee' and when she goes i give her praise or a treat! Also i dont want to overwhelme her so how long should i wait to indroduce her to a new command?

Love to hear your own stories on training :)

Edited by chellz

Hi everyone, as i mentioned in a previous post, we got our yellow labrardor 4 days ago 'ELLA' :)

I have already taught her to sit and drop (with food) and i was wondering how long do you wait till you faze out the food rewards and just give her praise? And how long does it usually take?

I am also trying to house train her, any ideas plze? I put her out 1st thing in the morning and at night and thru the day she is usually outside with me and the kids! I use a comand 'wee wee' and when she goes i give her praise or a treat! Also i dont want to overwhelme her so how long should i wait to indroduce her to a new command?

Love to hear your own stories on training :(

Chellz, can you please chat about your new pup (gorgeous by the way :eek:) in the Retriever thread in the Breeds sub-forum in General. This one's for folk asking for information on the breed.

Hi everyone, we got our yellow labrardor 4 days ago 'ELLA'

Love to hear your own stories on training

Edited by chellz

Hi everyone, as i mentioned in a previous post, we got our yellow labrardor 4 days ago 'ELLA' :mad

Chellz, can you please chat about your new pup (gorgeous by the way :() in the Retriever thread in the Breeds sub-forum in General. This one's for folk asking for information on the breed.

ok no probs.. im new at this so hopefully i can find it :eek:

Hi everyone, as i mentioned in a previous post, we got our yellow labrardor 4 days ago 'ELLA' :mad

Chellz, can you please chat about your new pup (gorgeous by the way :() in the Retriever thread in the Breeds sub-forum in General. This one's for folk asking for information on the breed.

ok no probs.. im new at this so hopefully i can find it :eek:

Clicking here will link you to the Labrador Discussion Thread :(

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi All,

This is my first time on a forum so i hope i am doing this right! My Labrador related question is this.

We have our gorgeous lab bitch whom we have been showing quite well and is approaching her 12 month birthday and all the screening that goes along with that. I want to know how you source a vet that has experience x-raying Labradors specifically for hip and elbow scoring as i have heard that a bad vet can reflect badly on the scores, is this true? does anybody know of any vets with specific experience? we are in the Gippsland area of Victoria but i do not mind traveling to make sure it is done right the first time. any help would be greatly appreciated :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My lab dog is now 12months old. He's still a bit short compared to other grown lab that I have seen. He's about 50cm high at the shoulders and weights about 32kg. Do they still grow taller after 12 months?

Not much. After 12 mo, they fill out more than growing taller in my experience.

• 4 months later...

Hi Labby people - my girl Daphne is 13 months now and has just come into season. I was wondering how long after her season can I get her hips/elbows done - should I leave it 1 or 2 months or longer?

Do breeders/owners notice any difference in temperament between the three Labrador colours? I know this occurs in other breeds and was wondering if that's the case with Labradors??

I personally would say there is no difference.

The colour gene is not linked in any way to the genes that decide behaviour. Also there is multiple genes that decide behaviour but only 2 spots that decide colour, so theoretically there shouldn't be any difference. Saying that by chocolate girls are much naughtier than my yellow ones!

• 2 weeks later...