Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Troy

Merry, I would stay away from breeders that put all their pups on main register as I do not think they have the breeds best interest at heart.. You can always ask us for recommendations as well..

This is a few things new puppies buyers should look for..

http://www.mocharli.com/breeders.php

You have a great site! Lot's of good links too. Thanks for the info. I would love breeder recommendations.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi and welcome Merry (your name is the same as our Cav's breeder here in SA):)

I have chronic health issues and am mostly home these days, and we have 2 easy going Cavs .

We did get ours at older age because of circumstances at the time, which has worked out well for me in particular. Both were already house trained etc

We did our research for ages before we bought Joey. I rang up quite a few registered breeders and they told me they would be at a upcoming show, and perhaps I should come down and meet them and their Cavaliers (when they weren't being busy leading up too going in the ring)

At the show, fate stepped in and we met Joey's breeder who was looking to rehome Joey if the right person/people were interested. He was about 11 months but not really enjoying being a show dog. He choose us that day, and the rest is history. A couple years later his breeder rehomed his Mum Renae to us, when she retired her from showing and breeding.

They are now 7 and 9, Joey likes to be active and go for walks but Renae is happy to snuggle up to me all day and night :laugh:

Like others have said they can be as active or lazy as you want them to be ;)

Just make sure you do your research on known genetic issues and choose a breeder that is registered and ethical and does the proper health checks needed in their lines :)

Best of luck! Once you get one or 2 or more lol , you will never regret it ! :thumbsup:

ps Both ours have been brought up used to crates, so they love being in it, when they're not on our bed lol

Hi! Our situations sound similar. I'm being told by some people now that I shouldn't try for an older dog because of our cat and bird, but surely some are raised with cats and could be trained not to chase the bird?

That's wonderful that you got just the right dogs for you :thumbsup:

Hi again Merry :)

We have 2 cats, one which was rehomed to us last year, and we have no problems with them all interacting with each other.

We also have birds, altho only the cockatiel comes out her cage. We have never clipped her wings just in case she needs to escape in a hurry. We only allow the cockatiel out if there is very close supervision.

I think its possible to have an older Cav with other pets. We have proved that.

Of course theres the pecking order to work out, but that happens in most pet families :)

We have 2 cats, one which was rehomed to us last year, and we have no problems with them all interacting with each other.

We also have birds, altho only the cockatiel comes out her cage. We have never clipped her wings just in case she needs to escape in a hurry. We only allow the cockatiel out if there is very close supervision.

Of course theres the pecking order to work out, but that happens in most pet families :)

The pecking order which obviously means the cat's the boss and so forth :D That's encouraging to hear about all your happy pets. When we adopted our cat (who is wonderful!!) we hadn't met her in person, we just talked and talked with her breeder about her personality and all that, she was an ex-bredder and show cat. Do you think we'd be able to do that with a dog breeder too, not have to first meet the dog? It would be preferable ofcourse, but there don't seem to be any adults around us needing a home.

The pecking order which obviously means the cat's the boss and so forth :D That's encouraging to hear about all your happy pets. When we adopted our cat (who is wonderful!!) we hadn't met her in person, we just talked and talked with her breeder about her personality and all that, she was an ex-bredder and show cat. Do you think we'd be able to do that with a dog breeder too, not have to first meet the dog? It would be preferable ofcourse, but there don't seem to be any adults around us needing a home.

We have a fairly unique situation as well, in that we have three cats and a Cav, 2 older cats and one the same age as the Cav, they are great friends the young one and the Cav, chasing each other round, fighting, sleeping and eating together, One of the older cats tells him who's boss and the other is a skittish cat so she run's from him, so of course he has to chase. They all get along in there own way.

My 10 month old Cav loves my cat.. Maybe too much sometimes because my cat gets a bit impatient with Lacey at times and let's her know who's boss.

I am currently having a rest before I go to work tonight and I have Lacey the Cav and Sasha the Kelpie on my bed with me but earlier on they were both tearing around the backyard like mad things :laugh:

The only thing I notice with Lacey is that she has long hair down around near her bum and she sometimes gets poo stuck there so she gets a bum wash which she hates.

She is my first and she is such a delightful little thing :)

Of my four Cavaliers I would not rehome any to someone with a bird! Well actually the youngest, Jersey, mightn't be too bad but not the others. They really really like birds :eek::laugh:

+1 The Rosella's have moved into our Macadamia tree in the backyard.. Chilli goes mental when they are around in the morning and afternoon..

I will be different and say that my two live with a cockateil :D DJ the cockatiel does not live in a cage and roams freely with the dogs. He thinks he is a dog! :laugh:

was not hard at all to train them. They will chase birds outside still. They just know the difference between dj and wild birds. I even bring my mothers cockatiel home to mind and the dogs seem to understand the difference with her too and they dont bother her. So just to let you know it can be done :D

I will be different and say that my two live with a cockateil :D DJ the cockatiel does not live in a cage and roams freely with the dogs. He thinks he is a dog! :laugh:

was not hard at all to train them. They will chase birds outside still. They just know the difference between dj and wild birds. I even bring my mothers cockatiel home to mind and the dogs seem to understand the difference with her too and they dont bother her. So just to let you know it can be done :D

Thank you, that is very good to hear! We have Teasle, who we're calling "Molly" home with us. She seemed really attached to her owner so the question is if she'll be happy with us. We all adore her, except for our cat, I think she's a bit miffed at the moment, but Molly isn't giving her a hard time. :)

Thank you, that is very good to hear! We have Teasle, who we're calling "Molly" home with us. She seemed really attached to her owner so the question is if she'll be happy with us. We all adore her, except for our cat, I think she's a bit miffed at the moment, but Molly isn't giving her a hard time. :)

Cavs are very loving dogs, and only want to please you, so I have found they are very easy to train.

Would love to see updated photos of 'Molly' :D

Great news Merry! We need pics now please. :D

The cat might take some getting used to with Molly before he really becomes himself again. One of my cats took at least 3 months till she was back to normal. My other cat only took a few weeks. give it time and they will be fine, at least you have a bonus in that Molly isn't bothering to chase the cat!