• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am looking to get a Cavalier from a breeder probably in January next year.

I have visited her property where she has some stunning dogs who were all very healthy, active and friendly.

The parents are heart/eye tested, and the grandparents were there who were heart clear at 7 and 8. The father is still showing and getting results at 7 years of age.

Overall I thought the breeder seemed very passionate and her dogs did look incredible, the thing I am wondering about is she doesn't have certificates for the heart and eye tests.

Should I take her word for it that they are clear? She really did seem genuine and more than happy to answer questions about histories etc, and mentioned there was only one case of mild MVD in her lines, from which that bitch has not been bred from again, and the mother is still clear also. We were there looking at a male puppy, but have decided to wait for the next litter as the timing will be better in January, plus we didn't quite have the full amount saved due to my car breaking down and a $940 tax bill due.

Her kennel is one of the top in Australia with show results, I do not want to mention names on here but if someone was to PM I would tell them.

That's pretty much my only concern, just wondering what other breeders think I should do, she has stated that she has no interest in breeding unhealthy parents, and her dogs do come up in quite a few pedigrees when I google their name (from dogs of other breeders/owners, where they are the sire/dam/great grandparent etc)

Thank you so much, I didn't mean for that to be so long winded. My first post in two years, I'm doing well :p

EDITED TO ADD:

I have spoken to a member here who is also a breeder and she has confirmed they are reputable, which was pretty much my gut instinct.

Edited by alr82

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Im just after a bit of advice from all you Cav lovers

I am hoping to get a pup next year and am just starting to look around at different breeds.

I already have a small fluffy x breed who is 3 so the new dog will be a companion to him but

i also want the new dog to be happy to do a little bit of agility, dancing and obedience etc not

to competition levels but just for fun. My current dog is really smart and can do heaps of tricks

but he gets anxious around other dogs and is a little bit precious when it comes to walking on new things (mulch and stuff)

so i have decided to stop pushing him and just train him at home for fun.

I have always loved the look of the King Charles and all the dogs i have met have been so so friendly i am

starting to think that they may be the breed for me. The only thing that worries me is that

will they be up for the challenge of dog training etc and be happy around other breeds of dog and do

they tend to be precious with there feet like my little man or hardier like say a Caine Terrier.

Cavaliers should be happy friendly little dogs. They are fun to train and many have done well in obedience, agility, dancing and tracking. I must say it is a bit of a trait that they'd rather not get their feet wet :laugh: but apart from that not a problem. I trialled my old girl and she had her CD and one pass in CDX before we had to stop trialing due to her health. I've dabbled a bit with training Jersey (the girl in my signature) but basically I am quite lazy now and haven't done much with her. A couple of girls I bred have done very well at agility and have many titles.

Hi all,

We got our Cavalier puppy Cooper a week and a half ago. He is the first dog we have owned so we are totally new to everything.

He is just adorable and has fitted in so well - especially since he grew up outdoors on a farm and we have him indoors most of the time. He seems to already be toilet trained :laugh: as long as we notice his signals or encourage him outside after food/crating.

He had his final vaccine mid last week, so the vet said it would be fine to go out after a week.

He has been out a couple of times for short walks (5 mins) to get used to walking on a leash but he seems to have fits and starts - wanting to bound ahead then just stopping (and us almost tripping or stepping on him). I guess it will come in time with a bit more practice.

The only issue we are having is when he gets wound up he starts "attacking" our 2.5yr old. He sometimes nips at her feet and has grabbed and wrestled with her pants a few times. We bark "no" at him but he is reluctant to let go unless we prize open his jaws. He hasn't done this with anyone else (myself, husband or 6yr old) and we think it is probably that she is more his size and he's trying to display some sort of dominance. Any tips?

Rachel.

IMG_4961.JPG

IMG_4921.JPG

Sorry, I'm not sure how to make the photos smaller...

Edited by SupaDupa Mini Cooper

Cooper is a cutie :) Little people move quickly and make good noises so pups do get excited around them. They can get good reactions from them too :laugh: This will sound silly but if you spray her feet and clothing with some Aerogard she won't taste so good. It might help deter the biting.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

Don't get in here much anymore with a 21 month old baby and another due in 7 weeks. Just wanted to update about our two cavs though. Cooper (now aged 6) doing really well. Had to have a few teeth removed a few weeks ago as they were not in good condition but he's onto the royal canin dental now, so hopefully that will help too. Stella (now 8) has had her grade 1 heart murmur upgraded to a 4 so after xrays, blood pressure and uring testing, she is now on heart tablets twice a day. She seems happy enough in herself and her weight is down to 8 kilos so hopefully she will have a few more years in her yet. Hope all of your cavvie babies are doing well. xx

• 3 weeks later...