Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Troy

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

haha well look at my two! I got my Cavalier first and when he was about 1.5 years I got my little Frenchie girl. They are the best of friends and always want to be together getting up to mischief! They play together really well, although Lola, my frenchie will chew and pull on Arnies poor long ears but then he goes for her wrinkly muzzle, very funny to watch! :laugh:

They have similar energy levels, the cavalier is slightly more lazy. Go for it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

I'm a pre- first time owner. :-)

Hello everyone. I'm new here and though I don't have a Cav yet, I'm hoping to add one to our family soon. I've been doing lots and lots of research and have contacted a few breeders. I've found a lovely breeder not too far from me who has been very helpful and informative, answering all my questions and I know she is a reputable and ethical breeder who has been in the Cav field for a long time. I'm very happy with her and am just hoping and praying she will have a pup for me later this year.

In the course of my research I've been in touch with owners of pet Cav's as well as breeders/show people. Everyone agress that Cav's have a delightful temperament and are a great little indoor family dog (just what i want). But then there are the health issues.... I'm well aware that Cav's - as with most other pure breeds - are prone to certain health problems and that truly ethical breeding is what I need to be looking for in order to maximise the chances of healthy pups. However one owner I heard from told me she has had 6 Cav's and they were amazing dogs but ALL of them died by 4 years old. Three died of heart troubles (MVD I suppose), two from stomach cancer (and both had heart murmers as well) and the other had hip and eye problems and died of a blood infection I think. Two of her dogs came from the same breeder and had the same mothers but different fathers, the others came from different breeders. She didn't say how long ago this was except to say it was over 4 years ago and there were no health checks done like there are these days. She said they all came from "high end" breeders. I would guess that perhaps she didn't realise that just because someone is a registered breeder and charges a high price for their pups, it doesn't necessarily mean that person is an ethical breeder. ? I mean, surely that is not normal. It seems like a shockingly high incidence of illness causing premature death. It made me very sad to read of her experiences, but strangely, it didn't put me off wanting to bring a beautiful Cav into our family.

Oh also, I know two ladies who bought their Cav's at pet shops (something I would never ever do) as they couldn't find breeders with girls available. They must have been lucky - so far anyway - as all three dogs (girls) remain healthy and their hearts have been fine at their regular vet checkups. They are 18 months, 6 years and 7 years of age now.

I had one of the toughest Cavaliers there ever was. You know those tin doggie doors? Well, he used to run through one! :D Also, he was pretty much the boss of the Great Dane we had. And rightly so, as he was there first. :)

I remember one time, when the Great Dane was a puppy, he was really getting on the Cavalier's nerves. So what did the Cavalier do? He chased him around the yard and bit him on the testicles! :laugh:

The Cavalier wasn't a headcase. Anything but. He was just a really jealous type. And tough. :D

Hi Sibella,

You will find that the other thread has a bit more activity than this one. http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/164335-the-ckcs-photo-and-chat-thread/page__st__25350 That one owner you have spoken to who has lost all their dogs by 4 must have been very unlucky :( I've had the breed for over 30 years. At the moment I have Ingrid who is turning 11 in December and is heart clear, her daughter, Lacey nearly 8, Bree 6 and Jersey 3. None are on any meds and are all very well. :)

Hi Sibella,

You will find that the other thread has a bit more activity than this one. http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/164335-the-ckcs-photo-and-chat-thread/page__st__25350 That one owner you have spoken to who has lost all their dogs by 4 must have been very unlucky :( I've had the breed for over 30 years. At the moment I have Ingrid who is turning 11 in December and is heart clear, her daughter, Lacey nearly 8, Bree 6 and Jersey 3. None are on any meds and are all very well. :)

Thanks Gretel. It's wonderful to hear from someone who has happy healthy Cav's. I know they're out there. :thumbsup:

Do you think I should repost my message on the other thread? I don't mind, but I don't want to break the rules or anything... :confused:

• 1 month later...

Can anyone recommend what size pet carrier I should get? At first I'd like to use it as a pen when we visit other people who don't want him running around the house, and later to take him to the vet or when we go out so he has somewhere to sleep inside. I'd like him to be able to move around in it and not be squished in!

A "soft" carrier was what I was thinking of.

A soft carrier may not be your answer, I have had one eaten by a Cav.....and she unzipped it too.

I would get a wire crate, Mine is a big one and I put 2/3 in it to travel in the car.

Good luck with your new puppy and I need Pics :D

Thanks for the info. We're picking him up Monday... Pics then and there will be plenty of them XD

He has a large wire playpen for sleeping (with snugly "nest" bed and for when we are out), this soft "crate" would only be for visiting, going to the beach, and in the car, not for permanent use.

He has a stockpile of chewy toys ready to go!

Edited by SunnyCoastCav

I wouln't recommend a soft crate for car travel. A PP40 plastic crate will still fit an adult or a wire one. You'll get more responses in the other Cavalier thread in the breed sub forum.

Edited by Gretel

As luck would have it, someone locally has a brand new PP40 sized crate for sale, of which I'm taking delivery today (bargain st $50), and I will also get a wire crate. I have a feeling my pup will end up in the wire crate next to my bed to sleep in :D

Edited by SunnyCoastCav

• 1 year later...

Can someone tell me how much a cavalier costs in WA?

And in my research it also says they are playful ... do they like to fetch a ball? (this question is important to my 12yo lol)

Sorry I can't help with the cost of Cavaliers in WA but I can answer about the fetching balls. Some do some don't! I've had some ball mad ones over the years but none of my current Cavs will fetch. They all run after the ball and then come back to me to go and get it :laugh:

• 1 month later...

None of mine fetch. If fetching is really important, try a terrier, or a cocker spaniel. Very different dogs, just depends on how important the fetching is. It may be possible to teach a Cavalier to fetch .... but maybe not.

None of mine fetch. If fetching is really important, try a terrier, or a cocker spaniel. Very different dogs, just depends on how important the fetching is. It may be possible to teach a Cavalier to fetch .... but maybe not.

LOL! At least the CKCS will be able to watch the human demonstrating the art of 'fetch'. Sarah used sit & laugh as we tried to get her to fetch.....

After all, why on earth should a Blenheim girl step on grass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy memories.

:eek::rofl::rofl: