Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Troy

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lacey doesn't fetch but will intercept a ball meant for Sasha because she is a rat bag :laugh:

Does Lacey smile when she does this as well?

Gabor used to do that & be so proud of himself

:rofl:

Ok koda does this too!

Glad mine isn't the only evil one :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ladies!

I haven't been in for a while! I hope you and your doglets are all well!

I come in with a question...

Genevieve is now 4. Since she was a puppy, we have had her on various premium kibbles. She hates them all and pretty much only eats them when she has starved herself for a couple of days. She gets rice whenever we have it (which is about 3 times a week) and she will hove up whatever scraps she can off the floor, or whatever she can convince Madeleine to sneak her under the table. Also will give her the odd egg, tin of sardines and other bits and pieces, but not as a regular thing.

Bones seem to give her the runs, so she gets them very rarely. She always has chews and raw hides on the go.

We've had issues keeping weight on her.

Recently she has been staying with a friend who has been feeding her rice, cooked mince and cooked mix veg every day. She looks great and seems to love it! She has put on a bit of weight which is so nice to see! So I have decided to go raw at home and do away with the kibble. I have tried bashing the kibble into crumbs and string it through the rice/meat mix but she still refuses to eat it. I'm over it.

So, I cooked up 2kg kangaroo mince, a bag of frozen mixed veg and a rice cooker full of rice, that I have portioned out into approx. 100gm serves (she gets a serve morning and night). What other mince meats are good to use? Do I need to be incorporating more variety than this? I am also going to go back to giving her sardines regularly.

I want to keep it as easy maintenance for me as I can, but as balanced as I can for her. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks Ladies!

Edited by Genabee

How is she on raw food? I'd always choose to feed raw meat and veg rather than cooked. Kangaroo is very lean so if you want some weight on her something more fatty would be better. Lamb or beef. Have you tried her on chicken necks or wings? Lots of dogs eat a perfectly healthy diet without dry food so you don't need to worry about not feeding kibble.

Edited by Gretel

Hi Gretel,

The size she is now is good - I don't want her to put on any more weight I don't think. There seems to be a fine line between the right size and fat with cavs!!

What is the advantage with feeding raw meat over cooked meat? I've never given her raw meat to be honest.

She will gulp down a chicken neck, but invariably ends up with loose stools... I've tried other bones from the butcher (lamb and beef) and they do the same thing. So if she gets a bone, it's usually chicken necks or wings.

How much should she be eating in one day?

Hi Gretel,

The size she is now is good - I don't want her to put on any more weight I don't think. There seems to be a fine line between the right size and fat with cavs!!

What is the advantage with feeding raw meat over cooked meat? I've never given her raw meat to be honest.

She will gulp down a chicken neck, but invariably ends up with loose stools... I've tried other bones from the butcher (lamb and beef) and they do the same thing. So if she gets a bone, it's usually chicken necks or wings.

How much should she be eating in one day?

I have never fed cooked food, though do feed my cavs raw. And no kibble (except deniki likes to steal cat bikkies! :o )

And they are better for it :)

They get bones, meat and organs. Veggies very rarely, and as snacks,but in no way religiously.

They get between 2 and 5% of their body weight, depending on the dog.

my 2% needs to lose weight, my 5% dog burns it so quickly and 3% is average :)

I am sure someone will know if it is the same amount for cooked meals.

But i only base it loosely on the percentages, feed more if she is getting skinny and less if she is getting pudgy :) Then you will just be able to do it by sight and learn the amount needed for her bowl.

Also make sure she gets some chicken wings or necks, as she needs something for her teeth. Rice and mince will not clean them at all :)

You could use any mince as well- chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, pork, roo.

The amount they need varies. Just as an example mine have a handful of dry food for breakfast and then for tea they'll have a chicken carcass (or half if they are too big) or a wing or necks with sardines or a raw egg. Raw is more natural for a dog, closer to how an animal would eat. Cooking destroys vitamins and minerals. I like them to have wings or carcasses so they get some good chewing. Dogs look so satisfied as they crunch into them :laugh: and they are good for their teeth.

Recently she has been staying with a friend who has been feeding her rice, cooked mince and cooked mix veg every day. She looks great and seems to love it! She has put on a bit of weight which is so nice to see! So I have decided to go raw at home and do away with the kibble.

So, I cooked up 2kg kangaroo mince, a bag of frozen mixed veg and a rice cooker full of rice, that I have portioned out into approx. 100gm serves (she gets a serve morning and night). What other mince meats are good to use? Do I need to be incorporating more variety than this? I am also going to go back to giving her sardines regularly.

If you've decided on a raw diet why cook the kangaroo mince? You can feed the roo raw and blend the vegies to a pulp or steam them and mix with the raw mince. There's no need to feed rice on a daily basis. Rice is basically a filler and there's very little nutrition in it for your dog. I'd say to ditch the rice and just feed the mince and vegies. You can feed,lean beef, lamb or chicken mince.

I you wish to feed a home cooked diet it's best to research a nutritious cooked diet. Same goes if you wish to feed a raw diet.

I used to make up my dogs raw BARF diet but now I buy the already prepared frozen BARF. It's much easier and makes a heap less mess in my kitchen. The dogs are doing well on it.

Edited to add. I can no longer give my dogs the raw meaty bones that kept their teeth so clean. My Cavs are considered to be elderly now. They are 10yo and 9yo and the older dog needed to be anaesthetised last year to flush out an impaction of cruchned up bone that he was unable to pass. That sadly, was the end of the RM bones.

Edited by cavNrott

The amount they need varies. Just as an example mine have a handful of dry food for breakfast and then for tea they'll have a chicken carcass (or half if they are too big) or a wing or necks with sardines or a raw egg. Raw is more natural for a dog, closer to how an animal would eat. Cooking destroys vitamins and minerals. I like them to have wings or carcasses so they get some good chewing. Dogs look so satisfied as they crunch into them :laugh: and they are good for their teeth.

They do!

And call me crazy, but i am always so satisfied when i watch how satisfied they are :laugh:

• 3 months later...

I don't cook up my Cavs kangaroo mince, they get it raw with raw veges and fruit (that is ok for dogs). We bulk mix it up and bag it up into portions and freeze it. I get it out daily. I do the same with Chicken mince. The two younger ones get chicken frames chopped up into suitable sizes also (kept in freezer also) and other bits and pieces in their diet eg raw eggs (even with some of the shell crushed up a bit), sardines etc (not given all at same time) They get very minimal dry food.

ps I give them this also a couple nights a week http://www.4legs.com...al.php#CHPA_900

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I wouldn't be giving raw vegies at all. If you want to give vegies, they need to be cooked as dogs cant digest raw vegies. Really vegies and rice are a filler, handy for dogs on a diet but not those trying to gain weight.

My little girl is thriving on a raw diet ... her favourites are chicken thighs, drumstick and necks but you can give any part of the raw chicken ... she also enjoys a turkey neck and wing ... duck .... rabbit when I can get it ... lamb flaps and goat flaps (she could take or leave these 2). My girl prefers to eat meat off the bone so this is her main meal. Then I offer raw meat of heart and chicken giblets with some offal which at this stage needs to be seared to get her to eat it. The idea is to end up giving her completely raw. Sometimes I will offer minced meat (whatever I can get) but my girl isn't very keen on it. I am new to raw feeding so still perfecting it I guess, but so far this is working for both my dogs and it is a lot easier than I thought it would be :)

Those of us who feed a raw diet are aware that in order to be digested the vegies need to be blended to a pulp in a blender or a juicer to break down the cellulose fibres. Vegies do not need to be cooked.

Many of us here have been feeding our dogs raw meat with pulped vegies for many years. We have done our research. My elderly Cavaliers are still here to tell the tale after their lifetime of eating pulped raw vegies with their raw meat. They also eat organic raw eggs without a hint of salmonella poisoning. I don't feed rice or other grains.

You choose to feed meat on the bone. That was not my choice and though my dogs used to get chicken frames I made the choice not to feed them any weight bearing poultry bones as I believe there is a possibility of splintering with bones such as drumsticks.

I was actually think of you and Renae, Jules when I posted that.

I admit i give Renae some raw carrot every so often (separate to the vege mixes I make up in the food processor for their meals rations) only because she cant have bones anymore but she seems to cope with some carrot (not a whole one) and it gives her a treat to chew on (under supervision) Shes been fine with her digestion ;)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I was actually think of you and Renae, Jules when I posted that.

I admit i give Renae some raw carrot every so often (separate to the vege mixes I make up in the food processor for their meals rations) only because she cant have bones anymore but she seems to cope with some carrot (not a whole one) and it gives her a treat to chew on (under supervision) Shes been fine with her digestion ;)

My breeder who is also a Vet gives any dog at her place RAW as you described with pulped vegies. She hands out carrots, brocoli stalks as treats in lieu of commerically made dog ones.

Works great.

:D