Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Troy

Re the anal glands - the vet can show you how to do them. However, if the dog is on a raw diet, and getting bones, the glands are often ok - the "roughage" helps clean them out. Dogs on canned or cooked food often have anal gland problems, so if this is what he has been eating, and you begin giving him bones + chicken necks or wings, you might get some natural improvement, without having to do anything.

Mine don't have any problems, they are all fed chicken with bone-in, + raw meaty bones. However, keep on eye on yours, his may just need emptying from time to time, and diet wont make a difference.

Re prices - I do charge a little less than $900 - $1000. All dogs are either health tested or clear by parentage. I also guarantee.

Edited by Jed

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been checking out different diets for dogs and I was wondering, are Cavalier's better suited to particular diet such as a kibble diet or a prey model diet?

Or does it not really make a difference?

ETA: I forgot to say thank you to those who answered my other questions... It's very much appreciated!

Edited by sch18490

I've been checking out different diets for dogs and I was wondering, are Cavalier's better suited to particular diet such as a kibble diet or a prey model diet?

Or does it not really make a difference?

ETA: I forgot to say thank you to those who answered my other questions... It's very much appreciated!

Within any breed you will find varience on what dogs do best on. The best bet is to be guided by your breeder and if you decide to try a different feeding regime - only transition to the new diet slowly.

Royal Canin released a Cavalier specific kibble this year, and it is designed to suit the jaw structure of a cavalier and also reinforce cardiac function due to appropriate content in terms of magnesium, sodium, potassium, arginine, EPA & DHA, taurine, L-Carnitine and antioxidants (vitamins E & C, green tea and grape polyphenols)

What to feed dogs will always be hotly debated, essentially what you want is a food which will maintain coat condition, produce a firm stool, does not produce any allergic reaction, minimises dental decay, maintains a healthy weight and promotes good general health of the breed. There are many ways of achieving this.

Edited by Kissindra

Thanks! The Royal Canin sounds good, but I'll have chat to my breeder to find out what they use. :thumbsup:

Yes you will get lots of different opinions on feeding :thumbsup: In the past I have fed BARF but tend to feed a bit of a mix at the moment. Last night they all had a chicken wing, tonight will be some Artemis and a raw egg. I like to give chicken carcasses so Ingrid will chew - she doesn't chew much at all. They get necks, raw liver, chicken hearts, sardines (fresh and tinned), Eagle Pack Holistic and a chunk of raw meat every now and then.

Guest NattyJ

I imagine many of the responses are coming from people who care for, and are around people who also care for, there dogs well. Could the diabetes be more prone (not just in general but compared to other breeds either genetically or because of their higher food fixation) in Cavaliers's whose owners give in to the vacuum stomach and the gorgeous eyes and overfeed?

My question, I am considering a Cavalier due to a couple of suggestions they may suit but I want to confirm what people believe long hours to be. I work a fairly standard 9-5, 37 hours a week job and my partner very similar hours (can vary however from 20-50 hours within those times). Would this combination of working hours be considered long by people?

NattyJ IMO I do not knock back people based on their working hours. Cavs spend a lot of time asleep. I can spend a day at home in the office and will go inside to find an eye slightly opened looking at me. :thumbsup:

They enjoy human company but can amuse themselves.

If its possible to take the first week off that the pup arrives then do so. This gives a good amount of time to get to know one another and setup some ground rules.

After all we want to do the best for our fur family members and this requires money which means working. :o

NattyJ, Cavaliers really are a companion breed and do best when they can be a companion :thumbsup: I have rehoused dogs that barked, scratched up doors and generally made a nuisance of themselves cause they were bored and lonely.

I would be reluctant to sell to a couple that worked very long hours

As puppies need to have feeds in the middle of the day and I would think get terribly bored alone all day

Yes some will just sleep the day away others will learn to bark and become a nuisance to their owners and neighbours

What dog sports are cavaliers eligable to compete in? How do they go in sports like agility?

Would you recommend them for someone who already owns a bigger dog? Would they be able to hold their own when playing with a large dog?

What dog sports are cavaliers eligable to compete in? How do they go in sports like agility?

Would you recommend them for someone who already owns a bigger dog? Would they be able to hold their own when playing with a large dog?

Cavaliers can do anything... :rofl:

They love agility, lure coursing and also flyball, they will do anything that you ask of them.

Once the cavalier is full grown (approx 12 mths) they should be fine with a large dog, but before that they are just too little to be able to hold their own and will often get hurt from the rough play or just being annoying.

Cavaliers can do anything... :happydance2:

They love agility, lure coursing and also flyball, they will do anything that you ask of them.

Once the cavalier is full grown (approx 12 mths) they should be fine with a large dog, but before that they are just too little to be able to hold their own and will often get hurt from the rough play or just being annoying.

Indeed :happydance2: I used to do obedience (until I got lazy!) and did well with my girl. If you have a look on my website at Portia and Tally's page you will see two little tricolours with lots of letters after their names that they have acheived doing agility.

• 4 weeks later...
What is the best type of comb/brush to groom a cav with?

Hi Joley

I use three types

1. A metal comb for the ears, and fringing

2. A soft slicker for the body

3. A pin brush could also be used on the ears and tail and over the body

:thumbsup::rofl:

I find a pin brush good for getting through big coats and ears. I have a lovely Mason and Pearson natural bristle and nylon. I'd never have spent that on myself :thumbsup: If you come across a comb with rotating teeth they are good for ears. The teeth are a little more spaced so you can use that and then a normal metal comb.

I absolutely adore Cavaliers :) and would really like to get one in the future as i think they would fit in well with our family (but we already have two dogs so won't be for a few years).

My question relates to their eyes (and I hope I don't offend anyone :p)

I have seen in some Cavaliers very prominent 'buggy' eyes. I love that soft sweet expression that most of them have but really dislike this :eek: I know there is so much more to a dog than looks so I probably sound incredibly shallow but this would be the only thing that is a possible negative against a CKCS for me. Is it possible to tell how the eyes will turn out when the puppy is younger - I have seen some (photos though) really crazy eyed ones! Is it a case of not so good breeding or just luck of the draw?

Also is the 'kiss spot' on some Blenheims common or again just a luck of the draw thing?

Again, I just love them - I currently have a Cocker and will always have a spaniel :)

Hope I don't sound stupid or awful :D

Hi

I have Oscar who is 7 months old, he has just been desexed and has started to do something a bit unusual. When he came home from the vet (after being desexed) we were all worried about him and he was crated for his safety. Well he got lonely and let out this howl and of course we all came running thinking he was in pain, well he wasent he just wanted our attention. Now that he is ok, he is using the howl, and its very load and goes on and on to get what he wants. Ok how do I stop him from doing this. He is just the most adorable dog and very affectionate and just wants our time, he loves nothing more that just hanging around with us and yes he is just a tad spoilt.

Maree

I absolutely adore Cavaliers :laugh: and would really like to get one in the future as i think they would fit in well with our family (but we already have two dogs so won't be for a few years).

My question relates to their eyes (and I hope I don't offend anyone :birthday:)

I have seen in some Cavaliers very prominent 'buggy' eyes. I love that soft sweet expression that most of them have but really dislike this :party: I know there is so much more to a dog than looks so I probably sound incredibly shallow but this would be the only thing that is a possible negative against a CKCS for me. Is it possible to tell how the eyes will turn out when the puppy is younger - I have seen some (photos though) really crazy eyed ones! Is it a case of not so good breeding or just luck of the draw?

Also is the 'kiss spot' on some Blenheims common or again just a luck of the draw thing?

Again, I just love them - I currently have a Cocker and will always have a spaniel :birthday:

Hope I don't sound stupid or awful :party:

Hi Kendall,

Cavaliers are not supposed to have 'buggy' eyes but I've seen them too and it does take away from the gentle expression. Buying from a good breeder and parents with good eyes should get rid of that worry for you. The lozenge is just luck of the draw :party:

Hi

I have Oscar who is 7 months old, he has just been desexed and has started to do something a bit unusual. When he came home from the vet (after being desexed) we were all worried about him and he was crated for his safety. Well he got lonely and let out this howl and of course we all came running thinking he was in pain, well he wasent he just wanted our attention. Now that he is ok, he is using the howl, and its very load and goes on and on to get what he wants. Ok how do I stop him from doing this. He is just the most adorable dog and very affectionate and just wants our time, he loves nothing more that just hanging around with us and yes he is just a tad spoilt.

Maree

Hi Maree,

He found out the howl gets attention quickly so he's going to use it to his advantage :laugh: You can try to extinguish the behaviour by totally ignoring him when he howls. The trouble is being that loud I guess there are times you can't ignore him? You could try something loud and sharp to distract and stop the behaviour and then ask him for something appropriate and reward for it. Such as .... He's in the other room and has started howling. Make a short sharp sound such as dropping a tin with coins in it (just an example). If it's loud enough to get through his howling he will probably stop momentarily and just as he is quiet you could call him to you and ask him to sit or something like that and reward. You do need to get the timing spot on. You could also use a water spray - a squirt in his face would stop most. Of course that is if he is near you. Asking in the training thread will probably get you lots of good ideas. I've never had a howling Cavalier :birthday:

Hi

Maree

Hi Maree,

He found out the howl gets attention quickly so he's going to use it to his advantage :crossfingers: You can try to extinguish the behaviour by totally ignoring him when he howls. The trouble is being that loud I guess there are times you can't ignore him? You could try something loud and sharp to distract and stop the behaviour and then ask him for something appropriate and reward for it. Such as .... He's in the other room and has started howling. Make a short sharp sound such as dropping a tin with coins in it (just an example). If it's loud enough to get through his howling he will probably stop momentarily and just as he is quiet you could call him to you and ask him to sit or something like that and reward. You do need to get the timing spot on. You could also use a water spray - a squirt in his face would stop most. Of course that is if he is near you. Asking in the training thread will probably get you lots of good ideas. I've never had a howling Cavalier :)

Thanks for your reply I will try the loud noise I did try the water but didnt ask for him to do something so I will try that too, thanks so much I really appreciate it

Maree