Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Troy

Hi

According to some websites/ books, the typical life span of a cavalier is between 7 to 10 and MVD is the cause of it. Just like to find out if anyone have come across cavaliers that live beyond 11?

In addition, may I know what's the normal price range for a ruby cavalier puppy? With and without papers.

Thanks a lot :)

Hi Muffin :(

I knew of a Cav here in SA that lived to 17, and he only passed away because of old age. That is not the 'Norm' for Cavaliers tho..

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What should a family expect to pay for a Limited Register pup from fully health tested parents?

I think this will vary quite a bit depending on area. I think most good breeders around Sydney are charging around $900 to $1000.

My family will be looking into a family pet by the end of the year (currently renovating their yard to suit a dog) and they are located in Canberra. I have suggested a Cav as I had one growing up and I think it would be the best suited breed for them.

Can anyone recommend a Breeder in or close to Canberra ?

If you pop into the Cavalier thread in general Monteba and CVS are in Canberra :)

What should a family expect to pay for a Limited Register pup from fully health tested parents?

I think this will vary quite a bit depending on area. I think most good breeders around Sydney are charging around $900 to $1000.

My family will be looking into a family pet by the end of the year (currently renovating their yard to suit a dog) and they are located in Canberra. I have suggested a Cav as I had one growing up and I think it would be the best suited breed for them.

Can anyone recommend a Breeder in or close to Canberra ?

If you pop into the Cavalier thread in general Monteba and CVS are in Canberra :D

Thank u :)

Hi Muffin, I've had Cavs for about 16 years now.

Our first Cav, Nancy, died of heart failure (not MVD) at 14 1/2, she was Sunchant Trendsetter (giving the breeder a plug here!!).

Poppy died at 12 1/2 from a stroke, her heart (tested by stethoscope at the vets was clear),

Lenny died at 12 - just old age.

Ruby will be 12 on 29th of this month, and apart from being old, is otherwise well.

Velvet turned 12 in June, she has had a Gr. 1 murmur (MVD) since she was 9. She is not on medication, and is healthy.

They were and are, all registered Cavaliers. :happydance2: I hope my two old chookies will be with me for a long time yet.

Edited by Jed

I met a lady at the dog park last week, she had her dog with her, said it was a ckcs, and that it was almost full grown, but it was teeny tiny, it would fit in one hand? That doesnt sound normal from reading the breed standard, she said it was tho? (I fully admit I know next to nothing about smaller breed dogs) All the other dogs at the park rushed the poor little thing, could hardly see her under all the dogs.

I met a lady at the dog park last week, she had her dog with her, said it was a ckcs, and that it was almost full grown, but it was teeny tiny, it would fit in one hand? That doesnt sound normal from reading the breed standard, she said it was tho? (I fully admit I know next to nothing about smaller breed dogs) All the other dogs at the park rushed the poor little thing, could hardly see her under all the dogs.

A full grown Cavalier within the breed standard would definitely not fit in one hand.

Hi

According to some websites/ books, the typical life span of a cavalier is between 7 to 10 and MVD is the cause of it. Just like to find out if anyone have come across cavaliers that live beyond 11?

In addition, may I know what's the normal price range for a ruby cavalier puppy? With and without papers.

Thanks a lot :)

Hi Muffin,

My oldest Cavalier is turning 13 next month.

Heart clear and is lovely and healthy

Her daughter will be having her 11 birthday on the weekend.

Heart clear, though she did go deaf at a fairly early age.

My other dear old girl will be 11 next month.

She has a slight murmer and isn't on any medication

I'm guessing prices for a puppy would start around $900

If you pop into the Cavalier thread in general Monteba and CVS are in Canberra :p

Does the Canberra Cavalier Club have a web site ?

I'm thinking they don't

Sorry no the Canberra Cav Club do not have a website and they really dont have any puppy register as such.

I would contact the NSW Cav Club as most ACT Members are members there are well :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Thanks a lot :rofl:

Hi Muffin :cry:

I knew of a Cav here in SA that lived to 17, and he only passed away because of old age. That is not the 'Norm' for Cavaliers tho..

I live in Scotland and have been collecting the ages of Long Lived Cavaliers for many years.

There is my List of around 2,000 of Cavaliers' Names and ages along with names and ages of their Sires and Dams that I could find out about, 12 years upwards held at the Kennel Club Library ,London.

The Oldest to date is TUPPENCE

She lived to 19 years 4 months 3 weeks.

Her sister Penny lived to 17.6 years.

Their Sire was EWCOTE BLUE BLAZER ,he lived to 13 years.

Dam,was Snowball Martini Mona

Tuppence was a Blenheim

There was a Cavalier exported from Britain to Australia ,who became an Australian Champion , HOMERBRENT HENRY, he lived to 16 years, his son Champion Homaranne Caption lived to 15 years,

Champion Homaranne Caption is in the Pedigree Back-ground of many Long Lived Cavaliers here in Britain.

Our Cavalier ,Marigold, Champion Homaranne Caption's Daughter ,lived to 15 years.

Bet Hargreaves

Thanks for all the practical info in this thread, we had a cav in the U.K. and when we returned to OZ in January 09 we had to re home him, I never thought I would shed so many tears over a dog...They are "Special" little animals with an adorable personality...We recently obtained a male Black & Tan "Monty" he also we can see will grow to love.

Here is a pic of the litle chap.

post-31087-1253544964_thumb.jpg

PC

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I was just wondering if someone would be able to tell me

How much should a 14 week old Cavalier weigh???

There is no definate or correct answer for this request. It really depends on the individual animal.

As long as you can still feel the ribs and they have a reasonable waistline they are fine.

A puppy is still growing so I dont like to see skinny babies. Do you want to post a picture of the 14 week cav?

Hi,

I was just wondering if someone would be able to tell me

How much should a 14 week old Cavalier weigh???

There is no definate or correct answer for this request. It really depends on the individual animal.

As long as you can still feel the ribs and they have a reasonable waistline they are fine.

A puppy is still growing so I dont like to see skinny babies. Do you want to post a picture of the 14 week cav?

no i dont have a pic of her,

shes not my dog,

shes 14 weeks and 1.4kg, to me that just seemed way to small but i have no clue about cavaliers. when they first got her at 8 weeks she is what i would consider a resonable size in relation to body size and typr od dog, but she just seems to grown but not put on any weight, which is sad because shes a great puppy,

they have been having some troubles with feeding, she seems to be a very picky dog, and 'breeder' (dont know of what) have been talling them not to feed her anything but dry biscuits, which i think may be part of the problem, and i have a feeling she may only be getting fed once a day,

I am no expert, but one of my cavaliers was 1.3kg at 8 weeks of age and that was quite small for an 8 week old (10 in her litter).

1.4kgs at 14 weeks is very small. Do you know what she was at 8 weeks?

She needs to be on a good quality puppy kibble which will help put weight on and at least twice a day. If she is getting exercised a lot, that can also contribute to her low weight. A puppy of that age does not need any more exercise that 15 mins a day.

Are her ribs visible? If so, she is malnourished.

Im sure one of the cavalier breeders on here will be able to tell you what other foods would be suitable so that she can put some weight on and provide some other helpful advice to pass onto your friend.

I absolutely adore Cavaliers :laugh: and would really like to get one in the future as i think they would fit in well with our family (but we already have two dogs so won't be for a few years).

My question relates to their eyes (and I hope I don't offend anyone :grouphug:)

I have seen in some Cavaliers very prominent 'buggy' eyes. I love that soft sweet expression that most of them have but really dislike this :confused: I know there is so much more to a dog than looks so I probably sound incredibly shallow but this would be the only thing that is a possible negative against a CKCS for me. Is it possible to tell how the eyes will turn out when the puppy is younger - I have seen some (photos though) really crazy eyed ones! Is it a case of not so good breeding or just luck of the draw?

Also is the 'kiss spot' on some Blenheims common or again just a luck of the draw thing?

Again, I just love them - I currently have a Cocker and will always have a spaniel :crossfingers:

Hope I don't sound stupid or awful :cry:

Hi Kendall,

Cavaliers are not supposed to have 'buggy' eyes but I've seen them too and it does take away from the gentle expression. Buying from a good breeder and parents with good eyes should get rid of that worry for you. The lozenge is just luck of the draw :cry:

Both of mine have the lozenge. I knew about it before I purchased them but as I wanted them for pets, it wasn't something I had to have. We wanted Cooper because we wanted a male and he was one of the few blen males in the litter and he happened to have it. We got Stella from Sydney Dogs home and she was 3 when we got her. The fact that she has it is definately the luck of the draw. People always ask me if they are from the same litter because of the lozenge. Of course I laugh! As if I could plan for them both to have it, even if I wanted it!!!

That does seem very light for a pup that age. Definitely needs more than one meal a day.

I just checked my last weights of the pups and Jesse weighed 1.5 at only 4 weeks old. He's a big boy though :p To be honest if that pups weight is correct I'd be rather concerned. Has she been vet checked recently?

Edited by Gretel

without seeing the pup I can not comment about the weight.

I would suggest that they put the pup on at least two meals a day and maybe take to a vet for a checkup to see if there is nothing medically wrong.

Also suggest that they contact the breeder of the puppy and see if that weight is the normal weight range for their puppies.