Siberian Husky

Troy

Hey Raybans

Good on you for rescuing :D

Hope it all pans out.

A)

This is what a furminator does on a husky.

I do own one, but it's useless on my girl (who is incredibly wooly )

It wasn't even long enough to get all the way through her undercoat.

It's now a brush I only use on the cat.

The brushes the Whisked Away suggested are your best bet.

I have similar equipment, but I bought a cheaper comb IMO it's better to pay a little more for one that doesn't fall apart every ten seconds. :laugh:

In general huskies are pretty wash and wear. But again having a wooly it takes a lot more grooming.

B diet is a very personal thing, depending on your personal beliefs, budget and your dogs constitution (as in what they thrive on )

I'm quite an avid raw feeder and Esky has been raw fed since we got her. I've recently put her onto commercial dry for a few weeks. I didn't like the effect that it had with her. I'll stick to what I know. I've had a girl thrive on supercoat though.

If it were up to me I would not feed Science diet.

Here is the ingredients list of the Adult Active

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Animal Fat , Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil

This is only the first ten ingredients as an example

So as with human foods, dog food ingredients are listed by quantity.

If you got a can of beetroot for example the ingredients would read Beetroot (which there is the most of), Water, salt and then whatever colours, preservatives of flavour they added.

So essentially the first ingredient in this food is corn, the second is chicken bits and so on. There is really not much meat in there. Also I have a problem with un named animal products as in the Animal fat. I'd prefer it to say Chicken Fat for example. It's like getting 'Chicken Nuggets' from KFC as opposed to 'Poultry Nuggets'. Who knows what would be in poultry nuggets, pigeon, turkey, eagle, emu ? :laugh: You get my point

For comparison here is the ingredients from pedigree pal adult dry

meat and meat by products, wheat &/or sorghum and/or barley, wheat bran, glycerol, sunflower oil

This is from Purina Pro plan ( the one Whisked Away feeds )

Chicken, wholegrain wheat, poultry meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, wholegrain yellow corn

Sorry for rambling there, I just got so over animal professionals pushing certain brands down my throat that I did a lot of research so that I could make informed choices :)

I'd keep your girl on whatever the RSPCA has her on, and if your not happy with it or want to change foods make sure it's gradual so as to not upset her tummy.

C

There are all kinds of tools at your disposal for walking your husky.

I have tried out many different ones.

A lot of people in our obedience club use harnesses where the lead clips onto the front.

If the dog tries to pull it spins them around so that they're facing you.

Picture says a thousand words so here is what I'm on about

http://www.walkyourdogwithlove.com/

Thats one of the many variations of what I'm talking about.

I've got martingale, slip collars, flat collars, racing harness.

D

I love Kong toys, great way to keep dogs occupied.

Sometimes I'll buy a small can of commercial dog food, a can of sardines or tuna or freeze some lunch meat or leftovers into the Kong. Some people are wary of Kongs being a choking hazard, so just be wary. My first husky would not have a bar of her Kong so it's very much an individual thing .

Now we need pics :D

ETA: training treats will depend on your dog, one husky I had was mental for schmackos; but if I could give Esky any reward it would be toast. Cheese toasties or just plain buttered toast. I keep it as a super special treat though.

Edited by Esky the husky

I will be posting pics when it happens

Tonight she should be with the Vet, after getting checked and de-sexed.

she looked healthy to me (but underwait, and coat not as fluffy as it should be) but I am no expert.

Hoping to have her home this weekend.

we have a large yard (for a city house) that is iron fenced between 5 1/2" and 6' all around. with concrete base, so she wont be able to dig out.

and hopefully she will not climb out.

We bought a dog bed for her, and the cats have tried to claim it tonight. I think they are in for a shock.

Please keep her away from the cats. Most Siberian huskies will kill cats without blinking!

As for the fence, great that she can't dig out of it, hopefully she won't try going over either. But just in case, come up with a secure place to keep her when you are not home to supervise.

Also Siberians do not need alot of food - usually no more than say a cup of dried food, plus a handful of meat a day.

Also Siberians do not need alot of food - usually no more than say a cup of dried food, plus a handful of meat a day.

Very true. It was such a shock for me when we got our lappie and she started dropping weight because I was feeding her more than the Sibe and the Sibe was putting on weight. :laugh: You don't realise how little they actually need to eat until you have another breed of dog.

lol - so you can imagine how shocking it is that my youngest boy eats between 2-3 cups of eagle power, plus a large portion of meat a day, and is "just" looking alright (ribes still visible though) - he sure does burn through more than any other sibe i know - its just not right :laugh:

lol - so you can imagine how shocking it is that my youngest boy eats between 2-3 cups of eagle power, plus a large portion of meat a day, and is "just" looking alright (ribes still visible though) - he sure does burn through more than any other sibe i know - its just not right :laugh:

That's because he's spethal :D

Raybans, I answered your questions in the Sibe thread. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with your new buddy.

• 9 months later...

Hello,

We are researching what type of large dog we should look at welcoming to our family. We currently have 3 cavaliers and 1 cat. My husband has always wanted a husky, so I wanted to find out if a Husky would get on well with our cavaliers and cat.

Thanks

Hello,

We are researching what type of large dog we should look at welcoming to our family. We currently have 3 cavaliers and 1 cat. My husband has always wanted a husky, so I wanted to find out if a Husky would get on well with our cavaliers and cat.

Thanks

Hi

I have 2 huskies with my indoor cat and toy poodle and they all get on fine. But every situation can be different. Try popping into the sibe thread http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/85055-how-many-of-us-are-sibe-owners/page__st__18630 you'll probably get more answers in there :)

Hello,

Thanks

Hi

We had a cat that got on well with our Sibes. (RIP Danny, "The Husky cat.")

He was there first, and we got our dogs as puppies and it worked for us.

I have attached the link for the Siberian Husky Club of NSW. There is a lot of information

there. The Club is also holding an Information Day in April. (Details on the Website)

http://www.shcnsw.org.au/shcnsw/index.asp

Katski what is it about the sibe that appeals to your husband?

A lady from this forum has a number of cavs and a Lappie and they get on royally from what I hear.

Depending on what you are after it may suit you better.

Esky has only recently stopped treating small dogs a prey objects. She's fine with cats, but obviously needed more work with smaller dogs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

We had a cat that got on well with our Sibes. (RIP Danny, "The Husky cat.")

He was there first, and we got our dogs as puppies and it worked for us.

I have attached the link for the Siberian Husky Club of NSW. There is a lot of information

there. The Club is also holding an Information Day in April. (Details on the Website)

http://www.shcnsw.org.au/shcnsw/index.asp

Oh I didn't hear that you'd lost Danny!

My condolences :(

My cat and sibe get along no problems but it took 5 years before i tested the theory!

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys, my 4 month old female husky start digging her water bowl, either make the water dirty and drink it or splash all of the water out. I am not sure whether it is a husky thing.... Why she does it? is it for fun? instinct? try to cool down? bored?

Any suggestions what I should do?

Thanks,

Its a husky thing, an hey it is fun and cooling too. We ended up with a dog it fountain when little miss was a pup water flows down the sides and there is no where to splash. Keeps the water cool too like a flowing stream.

We have a clam shell pool also, and outside we give her water in something too big to tip over

I wouldn't ever risk cats with my current Sibe. My previous one was okay with the cats he was raised with.

And it's ridiculous at how little food they need. My old GSD would wolf down 7-8 chicken frames without blinking when I worked him. My sibe gains weight just by looking at a single one.