July Photography Challenge

Ashanali

Some of Mine from last night, they are similar to RJ's

DSC_0023-2.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0007-4.jpg

DSC_0014-2-1.jpg

Just took some of a very tired fella, will post them shortly. Is it my imagination or is everyone slowing down in this thread, it was really building momentum but seems to have dropped off!!

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are a few of my favorites from tonight. Cooper had a big morning at obedience and was still exhausted tonight, so I took advantage... :thumbsup:

DSC_0011-3.jpg

I think the torch was annoying him a bit on this one he had buried his head!

DSC_0018-5.jpg

DSC_0027-1.jpg

DSC_0029-1.jpg

DSC_0035-4.jpg

Guest Clover

I need to pull out my tripod before trying again, i tried last night and did not get anything worth posting :thumbsup:.

its funny once you do it a few times it does kind of get addictive and you look for more things to shoot, just for something different, it is amazing what looks good. I have really enjoyed doing the outside stuff and it is great to do it with someone else who is interested too!! Definatly use the tripod makes it a lot easier!!

Some of Mine from last night, they are similar to RJ's

Just took some of a very tired fella, will post them shortly. Is it my imagination or is everyone slowing down in this thread, it was really building momentum but seems to have dropped off!!

I love that old tree one!!! Great!!!!

All the photos here are fabulous...those that are having difficulty doing it.. I still appreciate you guys trying cause I love seeing piccies!

These threads really motivate me to get back into my photography.. :eek:

I really like the 3rd shot of Cooper, tlc!!

3712222821_f80f84307d.jpg

I liked that one too!!

Your shot is excellent, can I ask you what light you used for that one, Im having trouble getting a concerntrated light source.

thanks ash, it was a bit of a last minute rush job this morning in the garage (not the darkest of places)

, will try and get mate back over again when its dark and have a proper go

Edited by dieseldog

Good start :laugh:

Do it again with a longer exposure. Double the amount of time you had last time and see how you go. ;)

Ash, whats the max exposure you can usually have??

I use max exposure on mine only gives me about 5 sec :o

Do you mean you can only get your shutter to stay open for 5 seconds???

I have been just setting my camera on S (shutter priority) and letting the camera set the apeture, that way I can set it form anywhere up to 30 seconds.

You can also set your camera to Bulb mode... which can stay open as long as you want it open. 2 weeks?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulb_(photography)

Bulb, abbreviated B, is a shutter speed setting on an adjustable camera that allows for time exposures under the direct control of the photographer. With this setting, the shutter simply stays open as long as the shutter release button remains depressed. An alternative setting common on film cameras is Time, abbreviated T, where the button is pressed once to open the shutter and and again to close it.[1][2]

Contents [hide]

1 History

2 Use

3 On digital cameras

4 References

[edit] History

1898 Bausch & Lomb ad showing a shutter with B setting; the explanation displayed "bulb exposure" in quotation marks and explained it in detail, since the term was still novel.The term "bulb" is a reference to old-style pneumatically actuated shutters; squeezing an air bulb would open the shutter and releasing the bulb would close it. According to the Focal Encyclopedia of Photography[3]:

"BULB EXPOSURE (B). Another term for a brief exposure—in which the shutter remains open only so long as the shutter release is held down. The word originated with the early pneumatic shutter release."

It is not clear when the term actually originated. It appears that when instantaneous shutters were introduced, they included a B setting so that the familiar bulb behavior could be duplicated with a cable release. This may have been the origin of the term "bulb" in reference to shutter settings. See the photo captions.

[edit] Use

The bulb setting is used on some cameras, including some point-and-shoot cameras, to obtain shutter speeds slower than the maximum offered by the camera otherwise.

Because of the risk of camera movement, the camera is most often mounted on a tripod for the duration of the exposure. While it's generally possible to use the shutter release button on the camera itself, a cable release or electronic remote is often used to further eliminate the risk of shaking the camera during the long exposure. The cable releases generally include a locking feature to eliminate the need to keep the button or plunger depressed during extremely long exposures.

A list of picture types where the bulb setting is useful:

fireworks at night

the night sky and celestial objects.

lightning

streets at night (creating streaks from moving cars)

Circa 1894 page showing a camera with an "indiarubber ball" and a "time exposure" mode that works like what came to be called "bulb". This page suggests that the "bulb" terminology had not yet been introduced by 1894.

A more modern (circa 1950) camera cable release.

An example of a photograph shot with a Bulb exposure. The movement of the clouds, crossing arms and passing train register as streaks rather than sharp images, unlike the stationary objects in the frame.

[edit] On digital cameras

On some digital cameras, bulb is a mode available as an option on the LCD menu only, if possible at all. On others, including many Digital SLR cameras, bulb is available from the manual exposure mode or shutter priority modes.[citation needed]

When set to bulb, generally on the "M" or manual setting of the camera, the shutter will stay open as long as the shutter release button (or shutter release cable or remote) remains depressed.

Some mid-level or bridge cameras such as the Olympus SP-560UZ have a 'limited' bulb setting, allowing time exposures up till 8 minutes and at an ISO setting of 200 ISO and lower.[citation needed]

Good start :laugh:

Do it again with a longer exposure. Double the amount of time you had last time and see how you go. :love:

Ash, whats the max exposure you can usually have??

I use max exposure on mine only gives me about 5 sec :o

Do you mean you can only get your shutter to stay open for 5 seconds???

I have been just setting my camera on S (shutter priority) and letting the camera set the apeture, that way I can set it form anywhere up to 30 seconds.

Yes ;)