Shetland Sheepdog

Troy

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best breed every though Mike - congratulate you on choosing a shetland sheepdog. I love my girls.

They'll shed once a year when desexed - and you'll know when they do. But, the fur is easy pretty easy to get off things when they shed.

Grooming - a good brush once a week. A good breeder will be able to show you how to do that properly. I find with my girls that I comb behind their ears every 3 or 4 days - they can get tangles there pretty easily (they often grab each other there though). This only takes a minute or so.

Mine don't like going swimming, but my aunties shelties used to love it - so it would depend on the dog. Mine do love playing with the hose and running water from the tap though - watering the garden is a lot of fun.

Food - mine get a cup of good quality dry food a day or half a cup of dry plus half a cup of raw meat/veg. They'll eat as much as I want to give them though - so you have to be careful not to let them get fat.

Sorry I can't answer the breeder questions - I am in SA - but I am sure others will be able to help. Also check out the breed pages on this website.

I love shelties - very loyal dogs, highly intelligent, quick to learn. Happy doing as much or as little exercise as you want - but they love to run.

Edited by jr_inoz

• 8 months later...

Best breed every though Mike - congratulate you on choosing a shetland sheepdog. I love my girls.

They'll shed once a year when desexed - and you'll know when they do. But, the fur is easy pretty easy to get off things when they shed.

Grooming - a good brush once a week. A good breeder will be able to show you how to do that properly. I find with my girls that I comb behind their ears every 3 or 4 days - they can get tangles there pretty easily (they often grab each other there though). This only takes a minute or so.

Mine don't like going swimming, but my aunties shelties used to love it - so it would depend on the dog. Mine do love playing with the hose and running water from the tap though - watering the garden is a lot of fun.

Food - mine get a cup of good quality dry food a day or half a cup of dry plus half a cup of raw meat/veg. They'll eat as much as I want to give them though - so you have to be careful not to let them get fat.

Sorry I can't answer the breeder questions - I am in SA - but I am sure others will be able to help. Also check out the breed pages on this website.

I love shelties - very loyal dogs, highly intelligent, quick to learn. Happy doing as much or as little exercise as you want - but they love to run.

post-36900-0-79487600-1307511253_thumb.jpgHi, new to this forum, has anyone ever used the Furminator on shelties. I was told it will not break the top coat, but decided to seek advice here.

I have 1 male and 2 females, just love pulling the hair off my toothbrush, gotta love this shedding time.

Edited by sky47

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't - but others would know better.

Maybe stop by the sheltie thread in breed subforums - more frequently visited than this thread.

I find that good line brushing with a pin brush gets a lot of undercoat out when they are shedding.

• 2 years later...

I haven't read through the whole thread as I'm on my lunch break, so apologies if this has already been answered.

I noticed it was mentioned that shelties aren't suitable jogging companions, why is this? Because of their size?

Would the occasional 3-5k jog (like, a couple times a month) be too much?

• 7 years later...

I was wondering if anyone can PM me or tell me the rough cost of a pet Sheltie puppy in Australia currently? Maybe a run-down of how much is involved with health testing as well and how much this effects price. Have a few families i know with children over 5 that are considering getting a sheltie but also persuading them not to get an oodle is a consideration as well, cheers

• 8 months later...

Hi I'm new here, so I'm hoping that this is the right place to ask :)

So I was researching the breed, and I saw in various breeder sites and the ANKC extended breed standard that there were various US imports, and some were then Aus Chs. But, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the standard seems to be more FCI/UK Kennel Club ie British type? I'm overseas, so in the recorded shows I can access, it also seems that most of them are of British type. 

I understand that the breed standard interpretation is subjective to different judges, but I'm wondering if either type is more commonly preferred in the show ring? Also what is the purpose of importing US sires? I understand that they're used to 'strengthen bloodlines', but from what I can observe on the screen, there aren't really any intermediates that I can observe. Thanks:laugh: