Vaccination Prices

My dogs are due for their annual C5 vaccinations at the time that they will be in boarding.

Our usual boarding kennels are booked out so we did the ring around to find something suitable and have found a similar set up across the other side of town - boarding kennels attached to a veterinary clinic. Being new clients, as expected we have to supply our dogs current vaccination certificates. As mentioned, because they are due, we asked them if they could give them their shots (yes) and how much they would cost ($125 for the two dogs).

We already had our dogs booked in with their usual vet so rang them to see what their price is - $93 per dog, a total of $186.

Why the huge discrepancy? Should we go for the cheaper place or is it better to have our regular vet do this? I am really stumped about this.

Thanks,

Helen.

If there was nothing wrong with the dogs and didn't need a complete check up go to the cheaper place, but if you trust your vet and there is something bothering you with either of your dogs go to your vet.

Thanks for the reply. My husband rang back the cheaper place to confirm that he did hear right which he did. Our dogs are fine right now, no concerns we can think of so I would expect that it would be a quick "come in, give needle, leave" type appointment. As such, I can't justify an extra $61. Besides, it will be one less car trip for them as they'll already be there for the few days that we're down the coast with our children.

I would love to know why the price at one vet can be so completely different to the price at another vet, and on and on - no one vet seems to charge the same as the next. Very puzzling. Part of me wants my vet to explain why he charges so much more but maybe it's better to not bother and just vote with my dogs' feet so to speak. I probably will tell them why we didn't go to them this time and see what they say.

Thanks again,

Helen.

Edited by TwinkyDay

There's a huge difference. If i don't need my girls checked out, i go to our traveling vet who charges $18 for a C3 and $25 for a C5 (or did last year). Just crazy the price difference. He obviously still must be making some money so the mark-up on vaccinations must be phenomenal!

There's a huge difference. If i don't need my girls checked out, i go to our traveling vet who charges $18 for a C3 and $25 for a C5 (or did last year). Just crazy the price difference. He obviously still must be making some money so the mark-up on vaccinations must be phenomenal!

What's a traveling vet? Do you know of an equivalent in NSW :( ?

NOt sure what's available in NSW unfortunately :) . We have a vet here who is based at a surgery but 1 to 2 days a week does travel. He will vaccinate/micro-chip litters at your home, but also goes to a local dog pool once a week.

:( GL

I know that we're already getting a small discount at the cheaper vet clinic - $65 per dog ($130 in total) or $125 for two. But the dearer vet clinic is charging over sixty dollars more to do our two dogs (and no discount for both being done at the same time). I very much doubt that they would discount their price by that much to match the other clinic .......

I have just had my Italian Greyhound at the vet today for her c5 booster and it was a complete health check plus the vaccination total cost $64, so I think I have done well compared with the prices that some people have mentioned.

We have a few Mobile Vets here in Adelaide, but then my vet is on call 24/7 365 days a year and just two minutes by car from home. :thumbsup:

What's a traveling vet? Do you know of an equivalent in NSW :thumbsup: ?

I have a vet that comes to my house weekly (sick cat) and she's based in Sydney. It's so much easier than getting to the vet each week and prices are very reasonable. PM if you want her details.

All vets around my area charge around $95 for the consult and C5 vaccination. I asked like 4.

Isn't it rare to go to the vet for a vacination w/o a consult?

Edited by giraffez

This thread has got me wondering. my pup had his second vaccination 2 weeks ago and due for his 3rd in another 2 weeks. Is it common practice for vets to only charge the c5 without the consultation fee? Initially i had the impression that the 2 came hand in hand (ie consult fee+ vacination) but reading the previous posts suggests that this is possible.

Since the pup was checked 4 weeks ago (when he goes for his 3rd vaccine), do I really need the vet to examine again? that will set me back another $60+. Hoping to get some understanding on this. If it isn't common, then i won't bother asking my vet whether this can be done.

Probably the same person we use. He charges $18 now (use to be even cheaper than that). A prominent G-hound vet that I have personally known for 19 years.

Prices aside, isn't it better if the dogs are vaccinated at least one or two weeks prior to entering the kennel?

At my work, as long as their is proof the dog has been vaccinated and it has just run out, we are happy to take them and get them done (same day they check in)

Could the cheaper vet be because they are already there? and they can just jump out when they are free and give the dogs the needle? Where the other has to take time out of their day to fit you in?

This thread has got me wondering. my pup had his second vaccination 2 weeks ago and due for his 3rd in another 2 weeks. Is it common practice for vets to only charge the c5 without the consultation fee? Initially i had the impression that the 2 came hand in hand (ie consult fee+ vacination) but reading the previous posts suggests that this is possible.

Since the pup was checked 4 weeks ago (when he goes for his 3rd vaccine), do I really need the vet to examine again? that will set me back another $60+. Hoping to get some understanding on this. If it isn't common, then i won't bother asking my vet whether this can be done.

I believe the dog does have to have a small check over, because if they are sick and have a temp, they can not be vaccinated.

Probably the same person we use. He charges $18 now (use to be even cheaper than that). A prominent G-hound vet that I have personally known for 19 years.

I know the vet, he would not be charging for the check as this is near cost price for the vaccine. I do the inventory at the clinic where I work and they (vaccs) are not so cheap.

He possibly buys his stock in bulk and gets more of a discount. Not sure how he does it but it is a great price. Are the above prices what he does at the pool? I can't get that with a staff discount at my own clinic. :thumbsup:

giraffez they have to check your dog as a sick dog should not be vaccinated. It also gives you the opportunity to discuss any concerns you may have etc