Supercoat Puppy Vs Bonnie Puppy

Just wondering, what peoples opinions were on these two?

They are pretty much all that is available in the puppy variety at the local store and they seem to stock (sell) more of the Bonnie than the Supercoat.

Is the Bonnie aimed more towards the farm type dogs (just looking at the packaging) and supercoat for more household pets?

There isnt much difference in price, and I cant find the ingredients list for the Bonnie, but here is what I did find

BONNIE Puppy

* Complete and balanced meal for weaning puppies from 4 weeks to 12 months

* Also suitable for pregnant or lactating bitches

* Made from real kangaroo meat and real chicken meat

* Contains a balance of vitamins and minerals

* No need for supplements, which makes BONNIE easy to use

* No added artificial colours or flavours

* Available in 3.5kg, 8kg and 20kg bags

Protein: 26%

Fat: 13%

Suppercoat Puppy

Protein 29%

Fat 14%

Young puppies can have over twice the energy needs of adult dogs, yet they have very small stomachs. So for a good start in life they require a high quality, high protein, and easily digestible food with optimum balance between protein and energy. Natural antioxidants support the strong immune system at this early stage of life and the correct balance of calcium and phosphorus help build strong teeth and bones.

Specifically formulated for

puppies up to 12 months old

With real meat

as the primary protein source

With beet pulp and yucca for

firmer stools with reduced odour

With Omega 3 DHA for

vision and brain development

With Calcium and phosphorus

for strong teeth and bones

Pack Sizes

1.5kg, 4kg, 12kg and 18kg with slider closure on large bags

Recommended for:

• All breeds from weaning to approximately 12 months

• Pregnant bitches

• Nursing(lactating) bitches

Ingredients

Meat and meat by-products (from chicken and beef), wholegrain cereals (wheat and/or sorghum, rice), wheat bran, beet pulp, whole linseeds, iodised salt, mixed natural tocopherols (vitamin E), rosemary plant extract, vitamins (A, D, E, K, B1, B6, niacin, riboflavin, folic acid, choline, biotin, B12), trace minerals (iron, zinc, copper, manganese), omega 3 DHA, yucca, lutein, garlic and kelp.

Typical Analysis

Crude Protein 29.0%

Crude Fat 14.0%

Salt (Sodium Chloride) 1.0%

Crude Fibre 3.0%

Calcium to Phosphorus 1.3:1

Sugar Not Added

Linoleic Acid 1.3%

Metabolisable Energy 342 Kcal/100g

I have always used bonnie puppy for my pre/post whelpbitches , and for pups to 4 mths when they go on to adult.Had to use supercoat this time as they kept running out of bonnie , they both produced nice healthy pups with great coats.But they also get other stuff to , i dont feed too much dry.

I wouldn't use either, they're both cheap foods with lots of fillers. I once tried Supercoat and got heaps of sloppy poo. However some people are happy with them so you can only try them and see if they suit your dog.

I have had my dog on the expensive stuff like Advance, Eagle Pack and Artemis and was not impressed. My boy has itchy skin and a dull coat and none of these improved anything for him, changed to Bonnie Working and what a change. He doesnt itch anymore and his coat is looking great, poos all good and deosnt stink. Our puppy who we were feeding Advance to also had a itchy dull coat, switched to Bonnie Puppy and the same good results as my other dog. So you could guess what I prefer ;)

Both Bonnie and Supercoat are made by the same manufacturer (Purina now owned by Nestle), just branded differently and with slight variances in protein and fat contents.

I am led to believe Supercoat has been adding more corn (fillers) to their product which reacts to some dogs, causing sloopy poos. As been stated try your dog on some food and see the results for yourself. Whether it is one of these brands or another is is always hard to decipher which is better when products contents change and there is an adversive reaction.

I have always worked on the principle of Individual diets for individual dogs. What suits one dog does not necessarily suit another, this includes Premium and Super Premium ranges of food.

I have always used bonnie puppy for my pre/post whelpbitches , and for pups to 4 mths when they go on to adult.Had to use supercoat this time as they kept running out of bonnie , they both produced nice healthy pups with great coats.But they also get other stuff to , i dont feed too much dry.

This sums it up for me,though I give meat and other.Tried the major premium foods and didn't see any improvement or difference other then price.Science diet did produce wonderful teeny tiny stools though. :laugh: Bonnie is definitely my preferred choice.

Well I got an email back from Purina and this is what they said:

There is a bit of a difference between the two.

The Supercoat is meat based and the Bonnie is cereal based so the Supercoat is more concentrated, So your dog would not need to eat as much and there would be less waste.

They also sent me the ingredients of both

Bonnie Puppy: Cereals and cereal byproduct; meat and meat by-product (beef and/or lamb, poultry, kangaroo); vegetable by product; vitamins, minerals and amino acids; salt; natural antiolidants and flavours.
Suppercoat Puppy: Meat & meat by-products (from chicken and/or beef), wholegrain cereals (wheat and/or sorghum and rice), cereal brans and/or vegetable protein, beet pulp, iodised salt, vitamins (A, D, E, K, B1, B6, niacin, riboflavin, folic acid, choline, biotin, B12) and trace minerals (iron, zinc, copper, manganese), yucca extract, omega 3 DHA, mixed natural tocopherols (vitamin E), rosemary plant extract, lutein, L-Carnitine, whole linseeds, garlic and kelp.

Now from what I have been able to work out, cereals and cereal by products are simply used as a filler, so seeing that the bonnie has this as the main ingredient, I am a bit confused as to why that one would be better than the suppercoat which has meat as the main ingredient. I'm not trying to be argumentative here just trying to learn as much as I can about this sort of thing.

I WAS a diehard Supercoat person. I fed it to my dogs and recommended it to my puppy people. Then a few years ago, something in it changed and it was no longer the product that it had been.

I found that the volume and consistency of the "output" was completely unacceptable and it took more to keep weight on. Plus coats became dull and listless and there was evidence of more flaking skin. Overall, the entire condition of the dogs was just not as good as previously.

I no longer recommend it and have removed it from my puppy information guide as well. There are far better products out there for comparable (or cheaper) prices if you don't wish to go the route of a Super Premium food.

Now from what I have been able to work out, cereals and cereal by products are simply used as a filler, so seeing that the bonnie has this as the main ingredient, I am a bit confused as to why that one would be better than the suppercoat which has meat as the main ingredient. I'm not trying to be argumentative here just trying to learn as much as I can about this sort of thing.

Not really sure why that happens, maybe it's just they way some dogs react. I've tried both with my girl and she did better on the Bonnie biscuits.

After trying both my two on all sorts of expensive and supposedly better brands, I've put both mine on Bonnie Working Dog and have found it to be BRILLIANT. Cost effective, nice shiny coats, the skinny one is gaining weight, the chubby one has dropped a little weight and reasonable output (not tiny, but not sloppy mess either).

My sister raised her dog on the puppy version and has a very happy healthy dog with a lovely coat.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of the regular Bonnie, similar effects on my two as Supercrap.

I've come from using Advance for 2 years to trying Supercoat - waaay too many poos, and they were larger than normal and sloppier.

Now I'm trying Bonnie Complete, haven't come to a conclusion for myself yet about that one, but after reading AnnaW's comments on Bonnie Working Dog, I might try that next.

I prefer to use Advance, but having 2 dogs now means more strain on the purse so happy to try out the cheaper brands for myself to see if there is a noticeable difference for my 2!

I usually give my dogs advance for their dry food - they love it and are happy and healthy doglets. i give them raw veggies and raw bones as treats and make my own 'barf' type food which they eat regularly. i have just purchased a small pack of puppy supercoat for my pup arriving tomorrow so will be interested to see how it turns out..

I am about to start a litter on Bonnie puppy. They are 3 weeks old. I have in the past used much more expensive dry foods to start puppies - Eukenuba & Advance. I was happy with the results from both for young pups, but found all the puppy buyers ended up switching to a cheaper brand. I have been feeding my adult labs Bonnie Working dog as I found with Bonnie complete, the stools were much sloppier, than the working mix. I only give them a small amount of dry food and the rest is raw mince, bones, sardines etc.

I have been feeding the mum of the pups the Bonnie puppy, which she loves and she has stayed in good condition while feeding the pups. So I think I will give it a go with these puppies. Has anyone else started their young pups on Bonnie puppy?

I WAS a diehard Supercoat person...

I found that the volume and consistency of the "output" was completely unacceptable and it took more to keep weight on. Plus coats became dull and listless and there was evidence of more flaking skin. Overall, the entire condition of the dogs was just not as good as previously.

I no longer recommend it and have removed it from my puppy information guide as well. There are far better products out there for comparable (or cheaper) prices if you don't wish to go the route of a Super Premium food.

I have had this problem and only now relised maybe the dry food is the reason I cant get weight on my dog. I just changed over to Bonnie this weekend. I have gave it to my boy and he was fine on it, but when I gave it to my bitch she got the runs. I'm now going to go out and buy supercoat again and mixx the too and hopefully my bitch will get used to it as i slowly take away the supercoat.