Pointer

Troy

Come on guys.

More questions about the Pointerss!!

That can't be all you guys have. :thumbsup:

Is there an issue with dogs being timid in some lines or is it just some individual dogs are naturally more shy than others?

I am also trying to get my head round size never having met one in the flesh, anyone got a pic say with a more common breed of dog like a lab (pointeeblab?) or BC or similar. Is there a significant difference between bitches and dogs.

Also anyone got any other nice pics of solids, I know it is really terribly shallow :) but I love the solids!

Come on guys.

More questions about the Pointerss!!

That can't be all you guys have. :p

Is there an issue with dogs being timid in some lines or is it just some individual dogs are naturally more shy than others?

I am also trying to get my head round size never having met one in the flesh, anyone got a pic say with a more common breed of dog like a lab (pointeeblab?) or BC or similar. Is there a significant difference between bitches and dogs.

Also anyone got any other nice pics of solids, I know it is really terribly shallow :laugh: but I love the solids!

Hi,

Temperment, on the whole would be an individual thing. This applies to all breeds and can also be effected by enviroment and the owner. Some dogs are just more confident than others. Pointers should never be timid though, according to the standard they should have "a kind, even disposition".

Pointer height according to the standard is Dogs 63-69cm (25-27in) Bitches 61-66cm (24-26in). So compared to a Lab they are 4-5in taller, though they are better compared to the other pointing type breeds. Pointers are taller than GSPs and Vizslas and about the same size as a English Setter or Wei, though obviously the body types are different.

With solids, go to the Solivia Pointers website. They have beautiful photos and a very good article explaining the genetics of the solid colour.

Could someone post photos of black white (with spots) pointers? I am trying to see whether my boy has some Pointer in him.

Hi,

Go to our breed profile page, there are lots of photos posted by the Pointer breeders and exhibitors. If you are looking for a photo of a spotty black and have a look at the Hyborn prefix.

Guest rhapsodical78

Ok, I have a question. How does the English Pointer's personality compare to the German Short Haired Pointer's?

Ok, I have a question. How does the English Pointer's personality compare to the German Short Haired Pointer's?

Hi,

Ok, I can do a comparision BUT I'm not talking about each breed on a whole. My sister had GSP's which I ended boarding for her, so I had two GSP's and 2 Pointers in the yard at same. The morning greeting was always a boisterous thing, the Pointers would gently jump, lift themselves on me.....the GSP's would knock me flat, they would spin whirlies behind me and take me knees out from under me. This was ok........but I would get this greeting every time I walked out the door. It was if they had no memory that they had seen me only half an hour ago........very funny.

I guess both breeds are people dogs, I just found the GSP's little more boisterous and rougher.

Guest rhapsodical78

Hi,

Ok, I can do a comparision BUT I'm not talking about each breed on a whole. My sister had GSP's which I ended boarding for her, so I had two GSP's and 2 Pointers in the yard at same. The morning greeting was always a boisterous thing, the Pointers would gently jump, lift themselves on me.....the GSP's would knock me flat, they would spin whirlies behind me and take me knees out from under me. This was ok........but I would get this greeting every time I walked out the door. It was if they had no memory that they had seen me only half an hour ago........very funny.

I guess both breeds are people dogs, I just found the GSP's little more boisterous and rougher.

Thanks! I think I have noticed that as well, though I have had limited contact with the English variety of Pointer.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw someone walking a Pointer in Coburg last week and it was HUGE! I didn't realise they were so tall. It was a stunning dog. Pure white except for coloured (orange) ears. The owner was chatting to someone who had obviously stopped her to ask about the dog. :laugh: It looked very sweet. :D