Australian Cattle Dog

Troy

Hi Blue7,

Unfortunately, we've been overwhelmed lately so we are behind with responding to all of our subscription enquiries, so apologies if you haven't heard from us yet.

If you'd like to PM or email me with what you are looking for specifically I can probably recommend a couple of suitable candidates. I can also probably recommend a registered breeder in your area too if you like. I know of a couple in Vic who I would consider a dog from..........though with all the dogs I see in rescue I have an endless stream of suitable dog sport candidates to choose from anyway.

I have a nice little blue dog here ATM but he is still in quarantine, so he hasn't met the other dogs yet, only my horse, who is mildly amused by his play bow antics. He has classic markings but is slightly leaner and leggier than a std ACD so may be an ACD x ASTCD. Had very little training, but is keen to please and learns quickly. I also have a red boy here but he is a canine einstein and needs a job! We have quite a few others who would make nice pets but will wait till you tell me more about your criteria.

Sharon

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just managed to purchase the best natured ACD I have ever met. After a long time of searching I found a very good registered breeder in victoria who breeds for temperament from non-working dogs. I met both parents and she has the bonus of being from great show lines as well.

parents are healthy and pups come complete with all papers and insurance etc.

if you are interested in contact details just let me know.

The kennel is only a small kennel and only breeds 2 litters per year. there is one planned for next month.

• 1 month later...

My brother just finished building his home and is interested in getting a ACD. I have emailed a few Perth based breeders on his behalf asking if we may come visit, but havent received any replies. If there are any Perth breeders who wouldnt mind myself and my brother come for a visit, can you please PM me. I thought it would be good for him to go and see the dogs and pups etc. before he decides for certain if he wants one.

• 4 weeks later...

I read in the first page of this subject that Heelers were biters.

I know this to be true but it isn't each and every dog.

Some will no matter what you do with them but most are great family members.

A lot of a way a dog is comes down to the up bringing of them.

My Lacey now 13 years old can lay on the grass just out of reach from my 1st granddaughter back then,

And just lay there and watch. Now add into the mix the young fella from nextdoor also.

And Lacey is happy just to be close by.

But the little fella from nextdoor can't even play outside alone because of their dog.

A Maltease/Shizu who I have watched challenge him and I told their dog to back off, or he was going to bite the young fella.

So bring up I would say most dogs in a good way you will have a good dog in return.

I'm beginning to think our cattle dog isn't 100% purebred. His body is taller and longer than other cattle dogs I see. He maintains a good lean weight at 21kg. Currently he's 19kg but his lower back and hip bones are sticking out ><

IMG_0478-1.jpg

I have a registered ACD that is tall and lean and usually weighs 21-22 kg. His parents were big dogs - he got their size but not their stockiness. :rofl:

Mine is my first male dog and I have to say that I am now sold on the boys. He is such a sook, is everyone's friend, gets on well with the small dogs and is very tolerant of them jumping up and licking him all the time. After reading this thread I think that mine is broken. :thumbsup:

As a pup he was a bit of a handful but with consistent training and leadership (NILIF) he has turned out to be a lovely dog.

I think as a pup you would not want to push too hard, like half and hour is well enough I think. As it gets older and you will be able to tell as it will not be sleeping as much.

Then you can raise the bar with training.

I have found that with Lacey She picked up most thing's by the 2nd or 3rd time I tried new things with her.

Like sitting before she was handed her food.

• 4 weeks later...

In the next week or so we are keeping an eye out to get a ACD puppy. We would like to get one from a breeder.

I having been checking updates on this website for breeders that have puppies available.

I have one question what is PRA? I notice quite a few breeders say that the puppy will be tested and will either be a PRA A or PRA B.

Can anyone tell me what they mean? And the difference between the two. I have done a search on the net and all I have really been able to find is that it is a inherited disease which can cause the dog to go blind. But I have no idea which type is good or bad or even if there is a good one.

Please help... This has got me confused :S

Hi Blue7

Why don't you contact a couple of breeders - before they have puppies available - to see if you want to do business with them (or they with you).

It's possible that the breeder you like best - would have all puppies spoken for ahead of time and they never get listed as available. In an ideal world from the breeder's point of view anyway.

Also - I second what some people in here have said about considering a puppy from the ACD rescue.

I got ACDx from AWL as a 10 week old puppy. She was never listed on their website or anywhere else as "available".

As a puppy she liked biting everything that moved on the ankles but it was fairly straight forward to teach her that this is not ok. If you want her to herd cattle - you will need to find someone who does cattle herding lessons for your dog. Ideal situation involves puppy meeting some cattle that are used to dogs chasing them, and also an older dog who is experienced at herding cattle - because puppies often learn from their elders. And their elders often "explain" what is and isn't ok.

ACD are often known as "blue glue" ie they will follow you around with their nose stuck to the back of your knee. Just in case you were thinking of going somewhere with out them. And some take violent exception to certain types of machinery like lawn mowers and chainsaws and will attack them when they're in operation with bloody consequences. So if you're planning to operate a lawn mower when the ACD is around - you may need to shut the dog up, or spend time explaining that biting lawn mowers is not ok.

Hi Blue7

Why don't you contact a couple of breeders - before they have puppies available - to see if you want to do business with them (or they with you).

It's possible that the breeder you like best - would have all puppies spoken for ahead of time and they never get listed as available. In an ideal world from the breeder's point of view anyway.

Also - I second what some people in here have said about considering a puppy from the ACD rescue.

I got ACDx from AWL as a 10 week old puppy. She was never listed on their website or anywhere else as "available".

As a puppy she liked biting everything that moved on the ankles but it was fairly straight forward to teach her that this is not ok. If you want her to herd cattle - you will need to find someone who does cattle herding lessons for your dog. Ideal situation involves puppy meeting some cattle that are used to dogs chasing them, and also an older dog who is experienced at herding cattle - because puppies often learn from their elders. And their elders often "explain" what is and isn't ok.

ACD are often known as "blue glue" ie they will follow you around with their nose stuck to the back of your knee. Just in case you were thinking of going somewhere with out them. And some take violent exception to certain types of machinery like lawn mowers and chainsaws and will attack them when they're in operation with bloody consequences. So if you're planning to operate a lawn mower when the ACD is around - you may need to shut the dog up, or spend time explaining that biting lawn mowers is not ok.

Thanks for the feedback. But I already know and understand the information just shared.

But I am still confused about the PRA.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between PRA A, B and C??

pra A

no gene for pra present.

pra B one gene for pra present.

i suspect pra C.. two genes present. the dog will develop blindness? guessing im afraid. but anyway however its labled if they have two for it they will get it. a friends bitch had it although in those days there were no tests for it. her son went blind at 8. not that it seemed to slow him down much. he knew his way round the yard so well n he made it to 16, although they couldnt put something new in the yard or he would run into it.

as for his mum, she eventually went blind herself at nearly 15 but as she died 4 weeks later it wasnt really a issue.

im talking over 20 years ago.

but an a or b pup no problems

• 2 weeks later...
We pick up our 8 week old red heeler next week!

Does anyone have any tips and suggestions on how to help him settle into his new home?

Ensure he has access to the house & not to mention all the humans in his family. Cattledogs crave being with their human family.

ACD4EVA, pra is devided in 3 parts, 1 clear: this is a dog that is very low risk and cam be mated with any of the 3. 2 is carrier and still is low risk but should not be mated with anything other than clear or carrier. Then there is affected: these dogs should only be used with clear but even then is still a high risk! My bitch is a carrier, so I have chossen a clear dog just to be extra sure I lower the likleyness. Hope this helps.

A unsuccessfull day for me showing khya, but at least it was her bloodlines that beat her. She has been doing so well, runner up best of breed last weekend ( 30 odd cattle dogs) and then today couldn't beat anything, lol. Oh well, she wasn't what she wanted today. Had a great day out with my dogs