Australian Cattle Dog

Troy

I think they would, both breeds that like to be busy, and both are robust kind of dogs. If you have a well socialized ACD and a Beagle then neither are too easily offended by a bit of rough and tumble play.

Do you already have the Beagle?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post a picture of Thunderbolt as soon as I work out how to reduce the picture size below 200k.

Needless to say, as an 8 week old ACD, he is absolutely entertaining and amazingly trainable.

Even our 12 year old ACD is starting to like him.

• 3 weeks later...

I digress only to make the offside comment that my 12 year old cattle dog is part beagle.

He is ALL cattle dog, though.

The Beagle gene seems to be prevalent in his ears and snout but is recessive in all other characteristics, especially temperament.

ACD and Beagle? remember the breed features of each. The Beagle can wander for days if it get out of the yard. The nose goes down and does not come up until the scent has finished, then the Beagle wonders where it is. The ACD is bred to round up other animals. the pair together may not be great if given the chance to escape the yard.

In saying that the Beagle is completely non aggressive and the ACD will love a friend. Both are robust and easy to care for.

• 1 month later...

I have today shared these beautiful photos of my cutie boy Digby.....but I will share the love on this thread too.

Digby is currently 18 weeks old, and is a pure ACD.

It has been mentioned along the thread that there is deafness carried in ACD circles, and Digby is an example of this. I would definitely advise you not to write off any pup that you come across whom is endowed with decorative only ears.

He is super loving, super smart and super quick! Not startled by much either! He is really really good at sleeping too!

Here some pics for your enjoyment!

257793_10150664807165298_892370297_19788709_5125282_o-1.jpg

268486_10150232956761903_675336902_7647844_2074136_n-1.jpg

• 4 months later...

For those in the know, is it relatively common for two blue ACD's to throw a white pup (still white at 10 weeks with black patch over one ear) all other pups in litter are normal. Definitely not a two sire mating, bitch was evidently well locked up except when put to ACD stud.

Not mine, belong to a customer.

Hi Austerra,

Ive been involved in ACD's since 1989, but I havent had a lot of litters, perhaps 7-8, maybe...

Ive not had this issue crop up at all. ACD's are born white, but they start to colour up about 3-5 weeks... By 10 weeks he/she should definately have colour on him/her by now. If he/she has a black ear, (as opposed to a red ear), he/she should be a blue. The first thing that jumps out to me is, "Is he deaf" ??? Not just testing by smashing a saucepan over his head, (and watching if he responds) a proper Baer test ??? I think this should be done, as deafness is such an issue in the breed, and being pure white, I wouldnt be surprised if he/she is deaf...

Ive also not heard of any breeders having this problem. I am in contact with a few breeders, so I will ask around for you, but its not 'normal'...

Would love some feedback if there is a diagnosis found for this pup :) ...

Hubby just mentioned him/her being an albino !!! Doubt it, because of the colour on his/her ear, just a thought...

Hi Austerra,

Ive been involved in ACD's since 1989, but I havent had a lot of litters, perhaps 7-8, maybe...

Ive not had this issue crop up at all. ACD's are born white, but they start to colour up about 3-5 weeks... By 10 weeks he/she should definately have colour on him/her by now. If he/she has a black ear, (as opposed to a red ear), he/she should be a blue. The first thing that jumps out to me is, "Is he deaf" ??? Not just testing by smashing a saucepan over his head, (and watching if he responds) a proper Baer test ??? I think this should be done, as deafness is such an issue in the breed, and being pure white, I wouldnt be surprised if he/she is deaf...

Ive also not heard of any breeders having this problem. I am in contact with a few breeders, so I will ask around for you, but its not 'normal'...

Would love some feedback if there is a diagnosis found for this pup :) ...

Hubby just mentioned him/her being an albino !!! Doubt it, because of the colour on his/her ear, just a thought...

Thanks for the reply, actually saw pup in the flesh last night, along with the patch over one ear, it has few light spots on the body and a "freckley" belly, no pigment around eyelids, black nose. The other pups in the litter are basically normal in colour except for a couple that have white patches or blotches. Dam is correct colouring and, from photo, so is sire.

Deafness was my main concern also (along with skin problems) doesn't seem to be any hearing problems, responds readily to even slight noise when away from litter mates, but have already explained to owners re Baer testing (they are not registered breeders, have used friends dog as sire :( ).

Nice people but no idea, at least they used a sire of the same breed!! (Unlike a number of others that I get in shop that I end up going through the sermon of why not to breed their already crossbred dogs :banghead: )

I am not a breeder, and have only owned a cattle dog for a few months now, but as our ACD puppy Digby is deaf I did a lot of genetic research before agreeing to take him on, in order to understand why he is deaf and how to best look after him. Apparently the deafness is caused by a link back to Dalmatians who are apparently often deaf (?) perhaps this whiteness you have described is another throwback to dallies?

I would love to see a picture of the pup... sounds very interesting!

Update on the "white" pup, I had another look at him over weekend and when away from the other pups was getting no reaction (when got others out they were fine)recommended to owners that he be tested, got call yesterday saying he has been Baer tested and got the all clear, vet feels that he is just a very lay back kinda guy who is comfortable in his environment.

Funny, vet put him down on certificate as a "pale" blue ACD, he thinks pup will probably get few more spots as he matures but not many (can see some more coming in undercoat).

AmaCam+Digby, I would presume that the Dallie gene is strong in him even by his overall appearance, one of my employees is heavily involved with Dals so I sent these people to the Baer tester that they use.

For those in the know, is it relatively common for two blue ACD's to throw a white pup (still white at 10 weeks with black patch over one ear) all other pups in litter are normal. Definitely not a two sire mating, bitch was evidently well locked up except when put to ACD stud.

Not mine, belong to a customer.

have to wonder if its going to turn out to be what i saw in a purebred girl her breeder named her Speculation. she was pure white with two eye patches and her body was white with small scattered dots.

sort of a cattledog in reverse colouring. instead of the coloured body with white spots/speckles...it was white body with coloured spots/freckles.

was told hilton sinclair told the breeder that when they do crop up they tend to throw really good speckled pups if they are bred from, . she was just kept as a pet so the chance to see if his advice was correct never happened.

ive only seen 2 in 60 years

Edited by asal

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd drop in an introduce, not myself, but maybe my dog, she'd probably be of more interest to ACD enthusiasts. :) Her name is Jarrah and she's just a pet/companion/guardian/possible worker. Is registered but I've no plans to show her.

Amazing how high she can put her head when looking for cats. LOL.

post-29248-0-63494900-1325901878_thumb.jpg

post-29248-0-92478800-1325901989_thumb.jpg

post-29248-0-89424600-1325902218_thumb.jpg

Thought I'd drop in an introduce, not myself, but maybe my dog, she'd probably be of more interest to ACD enthusiasts. :) Her name is Jarrah and she's just a pet/companion/guardian/possible worker. Is registered but I've no plans to show her.

Beautiful! :thumbsup:

Thank you. It may interest you that I've been using her to calm down a very reactive young GSD. He was put into boarding kennels twice when young, obviously upset by all the barking dogs there, and all he'd do with strange dogs was lunge and bark. Jarrah either wanted to play or she'd ignore him, she's very laid back for a cattle dog, and he's good with her now.

Thank you. It may interest you that I've been using her to calm down a very reactive young GSD. He was put into boarding kennels twice when young, obviously upset by all the barking dogs there, and all he'd do with strange dogs was lunge and bark. Jarrah either wanted to play or she'd ignore him, she's very laid back for a cattle dog, and he's good with her now.

Thats great! Well done! :) Makes me so sad to see these types of GSD around, sounds like the bloke you know just had a bad experience, but at my obedience club there are so many dog aggressive ones, not a good look for us, esp with all the BSL crap atm :(

She's since introduced him to a female GSD his own age and they got on famously. He's so good with their little Shih Tzu though that I always felt he was a really nice dog, deep down. I'm hoping Jarrah's presence at Obedience will keep him calm and let him see that none of the dogs are a danger to him.

I'm posting a photo of Jarrah I took this evening that just makes me smile. That's a new soft dumbbell I gave her and she thought she could hide beside that potplant and disembowel it. Wasn't going to happen! :laugh:

post-29248-0-36394800-1326211184_thumb.jpg