Help...training Pug To Use A Hammock Bed!

Hi guys:

(ill try keep this short as possible)

Ive got an Indoor pug, both myself and partner work during the day. its hard to teach her or catch her out pottying.

Problem is, she is restricted to the large kitchen during the day until we get home. During winter in aust, tiles are very cold. (no doubt her sleeping on cold tiles all the time, in the long run Arthritis will most likely emerge).

we have tried many types of: Beds, Blankets, Mats & personal clothing... to try make her rest on there. But all she ever does is end up Urinating on them as a potty mat or something. (just seems like you CANT have anything thats Fabric or linen on the floor.

Our last Resort was a DOG HAMMOCK, which is cool in summer also...and elevated... but NO GOOD..... she still urinated on there as well.

but at this point....Is there any way to teach her to use the Hammock as a bed when were gone??? We try and tell her its a good place by giving her treats whilst sitting on it.

(but whether she actually uses it or not, its uncertain unless we have a CCTV to watch her.)

Can anyone shed some light on this?

our Pug is 4 years old, she wasnt taught well from previous owners, we bought her with no manners & disobedient. So we need plenty of advice from you guys...

thanks in advance....

jamie

Where did she urinate with her previous owners? Outside? Inside? Surface preferance for toileting is formed very early in a dog's life so there is the possibility that the fabric is the closest thing to whatever she used previously. Was she toilet trained when you got her and what have to done to teach her where to toilet since you got her? I'd suggest going back to basics with her and toileting her every hour when you're home. Have you had a vet check that she has no UTI or incontinence problem as that could be another reason why she is wetting on her bed. Stress of being left alone if she's not used to that could also cause her to urinate on her bedding. But after discounting any medical reasons I would first be looking at your toilet training.

Edited by Jigsaw

Hi-

you have an adult dog- with a lifetime of habits.

You want her to behave totally opposite of what she has done for years.

What dog loo are you using? This will be important! Do you use the fake grass one? Maybe you need two- so she has a fresh area to use. Outdoors- she probably goes in seperate spots!

It sounds as if you need to go back to basic with her housetraining...

Poor little dog- she must be very confused. I guess she does toilet outdoors sometimes? then she will be wondering why she cannot go outdoors the rest of the time... and seeks something that, to her sensitive pawpads "feels' like grass/soil!

ANY fabric will trigger her urinating/defecating response :laugh:

oh, and

she wasnt taught well

IMO, means she was IGNORANT when you got her... not 'disobedient' :rofl: She had NO idea what was expected of her..it wasn't as if she knew your wants and deliberately did the opposite :(

Edited by persephone

• 3 weeks later...

How about using one of those standard dogbeds (the steel framed ones with a plastic mesh bed area) with a crate / plastic sheeting or something underneath, to catch any urine that runs through the mesh?

That way you just have to hose out the crate/sheeting and the bed.. it'd dry in half an hour in the sunshine.. or else buy 2 of the mesh beds and use them on a rotating basis.

Yep my pug has been known to do the same, midnight. My dog beds can easily be thrown into the washing machine. I'm just thinking maybe puglet doesnt like being off the ground so a bed rather than hammock may be the way to go to keep her off the cold tiles.

You say she is an "indoor dog".

Is she house-trained at all?

If she has access to the outdoors, does she prefer to 'go' out there rather than inside?

How long is she left inside before you come home from work?

Do you provide her with an alternative toilet spot?

I'm thinking that she is toileting on fabric (I presume that might mean carpet as well, if she had the choice) BECAUSE she has no choice other than toileting on the tiles, which by the sounds, she doesn't want to do.

Edited by Erny

As others have mentioned, dogs learn early in life what they are supposed to eliminate on. If someone buggers this up by training the wrong thing or not training at all, you end up with a problem.

I would go back to toilet training 101. It's not so much about teaching her to sleep in a bed as it is about teaching her to eliminate on whatever surface you have outside that you want her to eliminate on.

So. After meals, play and waking from sleep take her outside and don't go back inside until she does something. Praise her for going somewhere appropriate. Be prepared to be patient.