Hard To Get My Beagle In The Car

timatah

I have noticed that my 6 month old beagle runs away whenever we are getting ready to get in the car. He keeps as far away from me and my partner and will ignore us when we call him.

He doesn't seem to have any problems with the car ride, he seems calm and relaxed, but getting him in the car is the hard part.

When we go in the car, it is usually driving to a park, or the beach and lake for a walk and play, so we thought he would associate the car with doing fun things.

We are rewarding him each time when we place him in the car.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make sure he doesn't run away when it's time to go in the car.

Thanks

I have noticed that my 6 month old beagle runs away whenever we are getting ready to get in the car. He keeps as far away from me and my partner and will ignore us when we call him.

He doesn't seem to have any problems with the car ride, he seems calm and relaxed, but getting him in the car is the hard part.

When we go in the car, it is usually driving to a park, or the beach and lake for a walk and play, so we thought he would associate the car with doing fun things.

We are rewarding him each time when we place him in the car.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make sure he doesn't run away when it's time to go in the car.

Thanks

Does he think maybe you are getting ready to leave him home? I know our girl knows when were preparing to leave and doesnt know till we go whether she is coming with us..

The other thing you could do is have the car doors open and have him out the front with you on lead while you are gardening, cleaning the car or whatever so he can sit in it without going anywhere and get used to it. Then start the engine and turn it off without going anywhere and build up to going somewhere like the park as you do..

I know our girl loves to sit in the front seat while we do gardening as she thinks we are going somewhere really cool, its very cute...

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

If he's on a lead he is fine... I was thinking today that i will have to put him on a lead before getting back to the car.

I will try that. I was also thinking about feeding him in the car so he associates the car with good things.