Pug

Troy

The Pug

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=41 )

Group: Group 1 (Toys)

General Appearance: Decidedly square and cobby, it is 'multum in parvo' shown in compactness of form, well knit proportions and hardness of muscle, but never to appear low on legs.

Characteristics: Great charm, dignity and intelligence.

Temperament: Even tempered, happy and lively disposition.

Head And Skull: Head relatively large, round, not apple-headed, with no indentation of skull. Muzzle relatively short, blunt, square, not upfaced. Nose fairly large with well open nostrils. Wrinkles on forehead clearly defined without exaggeration. Eyes or nose never adversely affected or obscured by over nose wrinkle. Pinched nostrils and heavy or over nose wrinkle is unacceptable and should be heavily penalised.

Eyes: Dark, not too large, round in shape, soft and solicitous in expression, very lustrous, and when excited, full of fire. Never protruding, exaggerated or showing white. Free from obvious eye problems.

Ears: Thin, small, soft like black velvet. Two kinds - 'Rose ear' - small drop ear which folds over and back to reveal the burr. 'Button ear' - ear flap folding forward, tip lying close to skull to cover opening. Preference given to latter.

Mouth: Slightly undershot. Wry mouth, teeth or tongue showing all highly undesirable. Wide lower jaw with incisors almost in a straight line.

Neck: Slightly arched to resemble a crest, strong, thick with enough length to carry head proudly.

Forequarters: Legs very strong, straight, of moderate length, and well under body. Shoulders well sloped.

Body: Short and cobby, wide in chest. Ribs well sprung and carried well back. Topline level neither roached nor dipping.

Hindquarters: Legs very strong, of moderate length, with good turn of stifle, well under body, straight and parallel when viewed from rear.

Feet: Neither so long as the foot of the hare, nor so round as that of the cat; well-split-up toes; the nails black.

Tail: High set, curled tightly over hip. Double curl highly desirable.

Gait/Movement: Viewed from in front should rise and fall with legs well under shoulder, feet keeping directly to front, not turning in nor out. From behind action just as true. Using forelegs strongly putting them well forward with hindlegs moving freely and using stifles well. A slight unexaggerated roll of hindquarters typifies gait.

Coat: Fine, smooth, soft, short and glossy, neither harsh, off-standing or woolly.

Colour: Silver, apricot, fawn or black. Each clearly defined, to make contrast complete between colour, trace (black line extending from occiput to tail) and mask. Markings clearly defined. Muzzle or mask, ears, moles on cheeks, thumb mark or diamond on forehead and trace as black as possible.

Sizes: Ideal weight: 6.3-8.1 kg (14-18 lbs).

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc) I have been involved in pugs for nearly 28 years. We own, very occassionally breed and I also am priviliged to judge this wonderful breed ]

2. Where and why was the breed first developed? The breed is one of the most ancient of breeds and is Chinese in origin. Alwasy bred to be house dogs (they were the loved and cherished companions of Emperors!) they have never lost the instinct to "be served by their humans :thumbsup:

3. How common is it in Australia? They are becoming more popular, certainly not a rare breed. From memory there are over 1000 registered every year - but I am happy to be corrected on that figure! Unfortunately the breed's increasing popularity has also meant that they are now massive targets for BYB's and "designer mutt" breeding

4. What is the average lifespan? I always say 10 really good strong years, average around 12 to 14. I lost my eldest at 16 and know of one dear old boy who passed away at 19.

5. What is the general temperament/personality? Pugs are clowns - they generally love to be the centre of attention and they will do anything that they can to ensure that they are. I dont believe that they have any willingess to PLEASE - they have a great willingness and desire to BE PLEASED - and therefore there are times when the unsuspecting owner thinks that the darling little pug is trying to please them!! WRONG!! The pug is after something!!! People who have had other breeds and then have a pug always say - "they are just different from other dogs" and they are!! They are affectionate, absolute sticky beaks, they love to be involved in supervising what ever you are doing and they are also very very very set in their ways!

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult? Pugs do love a walk - but not in the heat of the day in summer - so early morning. They dont need a huge amoung of exercise - but they are supposed to be a muscly little dog - not a fat blob!

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with? As long as they want a dog who is going to be their companion and their mate, who lives inside and shares things, then yes..

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods? Like most breeds they can but they are companion dogs and are much happierr with company - they just love to be involved in things and anothe small dog is a great idea

9. How much grooming is required? pugs shed hair - lots and lots and lots of it and they shed it every day! So whilst they dont require a huge amount of grooming, a comb every couple of days and the daily cleaning of the nose roll is about it...

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)? I dont believe that very small children and very little puppied get along at all - not with any breed, it can lead to heartache and disaster with pups being dropped (and I have heard countless stories about this) and that dreadful teething age can result in child reciving chew marks. Pugs will jump at humans and therefore with very small children it is recommended that an older dog be purchased - one that can a) get out of the child's way and b) will be more sensible and less likely to jump

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of? Pugs are a faily healthy breed, but yes, things like HD, Hemi Vertabrae, Pigmentary keratitis, and of course Pug Dog Encephalitis

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be). I certanly would be asking how long the breeder has been involved with the breed, is the puppy to be sold on the limited register, does the breeder show (doesnt make them better but you would at least hope that they are trying to improve their stock and not just breed for breeding's sake!), what health issues are there with any of the dogs involved in the breeding or their relatives, what support the breeder offers, how many dogs does the breeder have, how are the dogs kept, what involvement does the breeder have with the "dog world" (again doesnt make for a better breeder but it does help to determine if the person is a BYB or not, what contracts or conditions is the breeder asking for. Most importantly the breeder should be asking questions of the purchaser too!! I have a set list of questions that I ask anyone who calls me and it is amazing how often people just want a pug "because they are cute" !! they have no idea about the breed and then inevitably they dont want a house dog and it really does turn out that the pug is not the right breed. So any breeder who is just happy to sell for the sake of selling, then I personally have concerns - after all we are supposed to be promoting responsible dog ownership

JMHO

Why doesnt the 'keg' shape give a natural buoyancy? Owners and breeders tell me they float like a block of concrete. I dont swim mine so havent tested the theory.

QUESTIONS

Owner, Exhibitor and Breeder in training

Fliss covered the wheres and whys of the breed :thumbsup:

I'd say fairly common, obviously not as common as some breeds but would be pretty high up there in numbers. They are a very common breed for BYBing as BYBers feel they have a right to charge people excessive prices :mad

I havn't had personal experience with aged pugs but a friend lost her lovely man recently at around 13, I think if you google it the breed average is around 12-14 yrs

Definate clowns and attention seekers!

They love to be with their person/people, I have one that will follow me so closely around the house that she is often running up the back of my leg especially if I stop and she doesn't.

They greet people with alot of energy and are usually just a big bundle of entertainment.

Something I have noticed with our pugs is that at times they try very hard to not fall sleep, I often look ouside to see a very sleepy looking pug sitting in the sun swaying and then all of a sudden they will fall and completely pass out and sometimes they jump straight back up suprised that they have just fallen asleep. :mad

Also they are very cheeky and can some times be abit naughty like sucking on or chewying on the edge of your pillow when they think you are asleep or trying to eat walls I've had two that I have seen walk up to a wall and just start munching!

One thing that really freaked my out about my boy fergy (RIP) was that he used to watch me sleep, very spooky! :mad

Pugs love to get out and about for a walk, but they arnt going to rip your house to bits if they dont get taken for a daily walk. Ours usually just get a really big run out side morning and night, we have a border collie who loves to play fetch and whilst the pugs dont have any idea what fetch is they love to chase him so they get exercised that way. :o

Yes I think so aslong as they do their research first and know that the breed is definately right for them.

Two big things any new owners needs to think about is pugs need to be inside, are they going to be ok with that? and pugs shed alot can they cope with a lot of hair sitting around the house and on their clothes?

One pug is fine but why would you just want one :)

They shed a hell of alot! I wash mine either weekly or bi weekly because they can be very dirty little creatures and I like clean dogs. Regular baths and blow drys seem to take care of alot of the shedding also.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

No not too boisterous, but I do sort of agree with Fliss about puppies and very little kids can be a possible bad match. I think it really just depends on how old the kid is and the parents ability to be a good supervisor of puppy kiddy interaction. Eg, I recently met a family that had just bought their first pug and their two boys were 5 and 8, the two boys were very gentle and careful with the baby and the werent to pick the puppy up unless they really need to, their Mum and Dad were also very good at supervising what went on.

I think Fliss covered this well.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

With pugs I'd first make sure they are a registered breed because there are alot of "breeders" out there that try to pass themseleves off as registered by using dogs with papers (limited or main) but they are not actually registered.

Make sure the pup comes with papers I know of some unethical registered breeders who sell litters with out papers.

Ask if you can come meet some of their dogs (if they are local)

If you are considering getting a pup freighted to you really do your research on the breeder prior to make sure its not some sort of scam.

Why doesnt the 'keg' shape give a natural buoyancy? Owners and breeders tell me they float like a block of concrete. I dont swim mine so havent tested the theory.

Some float some dont. :thumbsup: I'm not sure why.

Fergy used to sink so I bought him a life jacket first time I took Lotus and Rebel to the lake they chased a dog in not knowing what the Lake is and Lotus paddled off and Rebel sank like a brick. :o

Owner, Pug Rescue Foster Mum & Pug Nanny

As above. First and formost they were bred to be companion dogs.

Quite common. There are far to many people and companies breeding pugs to make money rather then to improve the breed.

12 to 14

Very loving and forgiving. Full of spunk and happiness. Always clowning around and showing off. Very clever but can be very stubborn as well. Love to snuggle up next to their humans or with thier other pug buddies.

Pugs are generally happy to do what you do. If you are sick in bed then they will snuggle with you. If you want to go walking they love to join you. My two will quite easily go for a 40 minute walk.

Yes as long as they want a companion dog who is inside with the family.

Pugs are companion dogs so are not ment to be left alone for long periods. Yes single pugs cope but pugs love other pugs whether it is to play and run with or snuggle up together. I feel sorry for pugs that don't have a pug buddy or at least another dog buddy.

Pugs shed heaps and heaps of hair. You will find it everywhere but soon get over the fact that your latest fashion item is pug hair. Mine get bathed and brushed once a week. The longest I leave bathing would be two weeks.

I would say generally no. My pugs are very good and very gentle around small children and will tolerate quite alot of poking and proding. They are also great around my wheelchair bound friend.

I think the most common heriditary problem is entropion and the resulting pigmentary keratitis. This can send pugs blind and I think is far to accepted as just something that happens by many breeders. If possible check both the mother and fathers eyes to see if thye are clear.

Luxating Patellas is another problem that crops up. Ask to see the mother and father walk and run and look out for them bunny hopping.

Hemivertibrae, hip displaysia & elongated soft pallet are other genetic conditions that I have also come across personally.

At the moment there are not health tests that pug breeders need to do.

Make sure the breeder is registered and fully involved in the pug world community. Your puppy should also be registered with pedigree papers.

Edited by puggy_puggy

Gherky is a pro swimmer.. not all pugs can't swim!

Yay a pug thread :rolleyes:

We are moving rural, so if we were to get a Pug they would have to be inside all day whilst we are at work (plenty of time and space for fun and games before and after work of course). I'd be worried about snakes, and of course my the bigger dogs will be kept in an outdoor secure run - but they are too big to play with pug unsupervised.

My question is, would pug be happy all day in the house with just cat for a friend?

And are what is the pug show scene like??? Are they okay for the beginner showie re: grooming, presentation, stacking etc.

Oh, and is there much difference in the tempremant of a boy and girl pug?

(Okay, that was three questions :laugh: )

ETA. Question no. 4 - where did the name "Pug" come from and what does it mean :rofl: ???

Edited by maya papaya

Yay a pug thread :laugh:

We are moving rural, so if we were to get a Pug they would have to be inside all day whilst we are at work (plenty of time and space for fun and games before and after work of course). I'd be worried about snakes, and of course my the bigger dogs will be kept in an outdoor secure run - but they are too big to play with pug unsupervised.

My question is, would pug be happy all day in the house with just cat for a friend?

And are what is the pug show scene like??? Are they okay for the beginner showie re: grooming, presentation, stacking etc.

(Okay, that was three questions :rofl: )

ETA. Question no. 4 - where did the name "Pug" come from and what does it mean :rofl: ???

lots of questions! As long as the house was cool in summer then yes, pugs are great inside! however it is pretty unfair leaving any dog locked up inside for 10 oor 12 hours a day... If you work part time then they think it is just great having to stay inside and sleep!

Pugs are good for beginners - you dont need to learn to sculpt the coats or special techniques for stripping. They are pretty stubborn so training can be an issue!! :rolleyes: Not that they are dumb - it is just that they choose when they want to behave and often their choice of time doesn't line up with yours!!

The name Pug - well it depends on what pug you read!! Several theories.. Pug as in pugalist - ie represents the closed fist of a boxer. the impish shakespearian character "Puck" - got shortened and changed to pug - as they both have the same nature!! Something also rings a bell about an old english word like Pug or puge meaning devilish ...

Question no. 4 - where did the name "Pug" come from and what does it mean ???

The origin of the pug dog is mired in mystery. There seems to be a general consensus that pug dog ancestry dates back to China 400 BCE*. The Chinese bred short-nosed dogs to acquire a more human-like countenance. Chinese trade with Europe began during the Han Dynasty in 200 BCE, but the earliest record of a dog fitting the description of a pug being brought into Europe comes from Holland in the 1500s. The modern name of the dog most likely originated in England where the word ‘pug’ was often used as a term of endearment.

I am an Exihibitor and Breeder and firstly a Pugged family...our passion is the Black Pug...raising their profile to be equal to a Fawn Pug in every way. They are the dominant color and yet the rarer of the 2 colors.

There is no need to add what others have written except to say the Pug is an IN YOUR FACE breed. They think they are Rottys in a Pug costume...will scare the crap out of visitors with their barking and viscious faces.... :rolleyes:

Thanks FlissPrideaux :rofl:

I can do stubborn - I have a ridgeback :rolleyes: (though he will do anything for food)

I'd love to see some piccies of the different coat colours. Obviously black is black (I want my baby back :laugh: ).

Actually, the black ones are my favourite :rofl:

Guest Willow

We decided our next dog will be a Pug :rolleyes:

I have heard a few things about Pugs & I'm not sure if they are myths or fact....could someone clear it up for me please???

1. Black Pugs are different in temperament to fawn ones as they are from different lines.

2. Pugs can be difficult to toilet train, and males are worse than females in that respect.

3. sort of related to number 2....I was reading in a thread about the two different lines, Morrison & somehting else....is there much difference between the two, or just in looks?

Thank you :laugh:

Yay a pug thread :cry:

(Okay, that was three questions :o )

ETA. Question no. 4 - where did the name "Pug" come from and what does it mean :) ???

I think a pug would be happy to be inside while you are at work, aslong as they get plenty of attention once you get home from work I think it would be ok.

As for the show scene I guess its no different to any other breed theirs bitchy people who definately ont help you and then there are plenty of lovely people who will go out of their way to help you. They are a good breed to show thou, they are my first showing breed (now have a pointee as well) and its been a pretty easy way to learn the ins and outs of showing.

I think boys are more sookier/laid back than the girls, both my girls are a little bit phsyco and a tad more highly strung than the boy of the house hold!

Thanks FlissPrideaux :)

I can do stubborn - I have a ridgeback :) (though he will do anything for food)

I'd love to see some piccies of the different coat colours. Obviously black is black (I want my baby back :) ).

Actually, the black ones are my favourite :love:

Thats because blacks are the best but they can be abit harder to show. Sometimes when you have a lame judge who doesnt like blacks you will have fawns that have crap structure put up over stunning blacks. Guess that happeneds in lots of breeds thou.

We decided our next dog will be a Pug :hug:

I have heard a few things about Pugs & I'm not sure if they are myths or fact....could someone clear it up for me please???

1. Black Pugs are different in temperament to fawn ones as they are from different lines.

2. Pugs can be difficult to toilet train, and males are worse than females in that respect.

3. sort of related to number 2....I was reading in a thread about the two different lines, Morrison & somehting else....is there much difference between the two, or just in looks?

Thank you :)

1. Black pugs are in a league of their own, they are very very special! Their personality is abit more nutier, alittle bit wicked and a tad naughtier than the fawns, to me it just means they are alittle bit more fun than the fawns :) I definately prefer the blacks over the fawns but I guess it just all comes down to personal preference!

2. Yes pugs can be hard to toilet train but if you put in the work early on its usually not too bad I havent found much of a difference in training boys or girls thou.

3. Honestly I cant answer but look forward to reading some other peoples answers.

:hug: Here we go..

I can not add any more facts to what has already been said..

But Black and Fawns well that is just a matter of choice to the owners, most Pug owners will have both at some stage of the game..

Blacks appear a little different as a little naughtier, most people say the Fawns are thinking of doing it but the Blacks have done it !! :cry:

This may relate to the question about the 2 different lines that Willow posted about but I've seen some old photos of Pugs and some tend to be a lot "leggier" than the current Pugs I see around - is this something that has deliberately been bred (the shorter legs) or just differences between bloodlines?

(oh wanted to add, I love Pugs! - they are little kegs of dynamite and my GSP loves the little boy in his Obedience class - and I love the snuffling/snorting noise he makes when he's really excited about something)

Like MayaPapaya (a fellow ridgy owner) I would love to add a pugster to our family in the not too distant future!! I think they are great little dogs - to look at and their personality!! Mind you Ive only met three :cry::)

I must have read the same thread FionaC - and I made a little note as I prefer the long legged type! The Willoughby lines are the leggier, thinner bodied, while the Morrison are the stockier, shorter legged type!

So one question about the two lines?? From a newbies point of view - how the hell do you know which are which, do you ask the breeder??? And are they really kept as "separate" lines??

Im loving having these breed threads! Thanks to those-in-the-know for those-that-are-interested's benefit!!! :hug:

Rat

This may relate to the question about the 2 different lines that Willow posted about but I've seen some old photos of Pugs and some tend to be a lot "leggier" than the current Pugs I see around - is this something that has deliberately been bred (the shorter legs) or just differences between bloodlines?

(oh wanted to add, I love Pugs! - they are little kegs of dynamite and my GSP loves the little boy in his Obedience class - and I love the snuffling/snorting noise he makes when he's really excited about something)

Fiona the last part of your post reminded me of something new owners need to know that I dont think has been covered yet.

Pugs love to sneeze on you, you havent lived until you have been sneezed on by a pug, 99% of the time I swear they hold it in till your in the firing line! :(

Also I dont know if anyone has mentioned the snoring? They snore like frieght trains some of them so its definately something to prepare yourself for!!!!

Yay a pug thread :laugh:

(Okay, that was three questions :laugh: )

ETA. Question no. 4 - where did the name "Pug" come from and what does it mean :laugh: ???

Hey I am a Full Time worker (not for much longer looking to go Part time) , my pug is rarely at home on his own though, he will often come to my work with me- where he will just sleep on my desk or go to my mothers (his Nanna) house fro the day- she doesnt work at all and henry loves to spend time with her, she spoils him rotten. Maybe one day a week he will spend at home with only the company of our cat benji but on these days iI come home for lunch to let him outside for a run and will spend a full hour with him. When i come home on lunch he will usually be curled up on the couch with the cat or asleep on my bed. I do leave him lots of toys though and also I leave the TV on for him, he likes to watch TV. I will be getting him a pug friend in the near future though.

I am relativly new to showing- I have beagles and I started showing the 3 years ago, I find that Henry is easy to groom and get ready for shows and is good to handle.

We decided our next dog will be a Pug :(

Thank you :eek:

Henry was a breeze to toilet train I used puppy pads for this and as a puppy he would jump off the bed (I made steps out of pillows) to use the puppy pads and he could never get back up so he would cry to wake me up so I would lift him onto the bed.

He is now fully toilet trained and usually wakes me up at about 5-6am to go to the toilet. On weekends he will bark at the back door when he wants to go out side and then will bark again for us to let him back in when he is finished outside.

I do not know if this is the norm for most pugs, I can only speak from my experience, but Henry really is the most well behaived and most loving dog I have ever had.

I think Pugs are the best dogs, I will always have pugs for the rest of my life. :thumbsup:

I have owned Pugs for over 35 years and have rescued them under the name Pug Rescue Sydney for just over 5 years.

It is thought the breed originated in China more than 2000 years ago. In 1885, the first Pug was registered in the US with the American Kennel Club and in the UK the following the year.

There were Pugs listed in the Sydney Agricultural Show of 1870. The ANKC wasn't formed until the late 1950s I beleive and so records before this are difficult to determine.

In 2008, 1506 Pugs were registered with the ANKC. There has been a steady increase in registrations of Pugs over the last 20 years with the latest figures placing the Pug second in popularity to the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in the ‘Toy Group’ classification.

13 - 15 years.

Pugs are very social dogs and extremely people orientated. They are curious and expect to be involved in every thing you do. They can be affectionate and sweet and are overall everyone's 'best buddy'.

Fitness is important to this breed for several reasons and you should expect to give your Pug a minimum of 30 minutes to 1 hour exercise daily to keep them in top shape.

Absolutely. They are overall easy going little dogs who will provide hours of fun and laughter and lots of cuddles and affection too.

Yes, by sleeping. :( Although I believe all dogs needs companionship, I would not hesitate in re-homing a Pug that is 5 years or older to someone who was not home for long periods. Younger Pugs need more activity and attention and long periods of absence could cause behaviour problems to develop.

Very little. As stated before though, this breed sheds COPIOUS amounts of hair. If the thought of finding a stray dog hair in your underwear makes you cringe...don't get a Pug. Pug hair tumbleweeds blowing about your floors are common. Regular brushing will help to remove this hair and keep it landing on your clothes ans furniture.

Young Pugs can be a little exuberant with very young children but as a Pug ages, they settle somewhat.

Hemivertebrae, luxating patellas (slipping knees), eye issues including pigmentary keratitis (brown staining caused by several issues including dry eye) and entropian, stenotic nares (pinched nostrils) and various degrees of brachycpehalic syndrome that affect the respiratory system including elongated palates.

The most common issues I see in the Pugs I re-home are pigmentary keratitis, luxating patellas, stenotic nares and brachycephalic syndrome.

Have they had any genetic issues in their lines. An honest breeder will tell you what issues have arisen and what they have done to prevent these issues recurring. A dishonest breeder will tell you that the have never had a recorded health problem to date. If they are passe about genetic issues, then steer clear of them.

I recommend potential Pug buyers to contact the Pug Club in their state and ask for the dates and venues of the Pug Club shows so that they can attend a show and speak to more than 1 breeder at one time. This way, they will get a broad and varied view of several lines, breeders and their dogs.