Pug

Troy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look after 3 little pugs for a day every week and love them! Do those experienced with the breed find that other dogs sometimes have a hard time reading them to start with? My dogs adore them but when i have seen dogs not used to pugs interact with them some of them seem to take a little while to understand what the pugs are 'saying'.

Interesting you should ask, Cos, and I'm curious as well. My dogs took quite a while to 'read' my pug after she arrived. Infact one still cant deal with her. He runs and hides.

I look after 3 little pugs for a day every week and love them! Do those experienced with the breed find that other dogs sometimes have a hard time reading them to start with? My dogs adore them but when i have seen dogs not used to pugs interact with them some of them seem to take a little while to understand what the pugs are 'saying'.

:p I have found some breeds are a little wary of the Pugs, don't know why !!!

Pugs are a lovable breed not only for humans but other dogs also, but they are a little in your face so I guess some breeds don't like that!!

Like MayaPapaya (a fellow ridgy owner) I would love to add a pugster to our family in the not too distant future!!

As a confirmed "big dog" lover, my appreciation of the pug is like my dirty little secret :)

Im loving having these breed threads! Thanks to those-in-the-know for those-that-are-interested's benefit!!! :)

I agree :confused:

I have always felt that it is more do to with the Pug not reading the other dogs as well. I find that Pugs are very open to being attacked or told off by other dogs because they do not acknowledge the body language and behaviour of other dogs.

I love this photo - when we got Lizzy she was 9 weeks old and Piper only had 2 weeks to go before she had her 1st litter. At first I was worried about bringing Lizzy in to our home with puppies due so soon, but I had been waiting for over a year for a pug so couldn't knock her back. Piper loved her from the moment she laid eyes on Lizzy and they have been bed buddies ever since - even when she had puppies.

107_6297-2.jpg

I have always felt that it is more do to with the Pug not reading the other dogs as well. I find that Pugs are very open to being attacked or told off by other dogs because they do not acknowledge the body language and behaviour of other dogs.

Thank you so much for that insight PRS. I always thought it was because I have a rescue Pug that he was having so much trouble reading the behaviour of my Frenchies. I now realise it's because of the breed. This is something for others to be aware of when they are thinking of having Pugs with other breeds.

Thank you so much for that insight PRS. I always thought it was because I have a rescue Pug that he was having so much trouble reading the behaviour of my Frenchies. I now realise it's because of the breed. This is something for others to be aware of when they are thinking of having Pugs with other breeds.

It really depends on the breed Vampy...French bulldogs are a very dominant breed. I am fostering 2 Italian Greyhounds at the moment and they get on great with the Pugs. :eek:

:eek: I had GSD and an Irsish setter at the time I went into Pugs and all got along great with the bigger dogs looking after the little one, even if she thought she was the boss...

My Pugs mix with GSD, Shelties and Beagles on a very regular basis with no trouble, although the they are a little boisterous for the Shelties at times :confused:

Edited by Mandalay

its not just other dogs that take their time to understand pugs. when i got Herbie, it took me a week or two to bond with him cause i just couldn't read him. now he's like an open book, and i find him far more expressive then any other dog. i can see the naughty ideas as they pop into his head.

i think it is also the noises they make the throw other dogs at first.

Just wondering, and sorry if this question has been asked already, but is there certain care that needs to be taken into account when washing these little cuties because of the loose skin which forms rolls on their bakcs/necks, and around their face?

It has always been a question I have been meaning to ask an owner, and this seems to be the perfect time.

Also, how do they go around farm animals, like sheep and horses?

I tend to give Lola's nose roll a wipe out once a week, but that's it. It's the only one that could harbour 'stuff' :happydance2: I've never had a problem with it.

Not sure about farm animals, but I have chooks that free range in the yard with my dogs.

Thanks Huga! :)

Are they good little lap dogs? Or are they more independant than, say, I cavy for instance?

Are they good little family dogs?

Always have loved the faces on them!

Should get one for my OH. :thumbsup:

I think he would kill me considering I want to get my seconand Pointer too!

Well, they are all different little dudes, but from my own experience:

Lola is an independent cow. She is more attached to my other dog than us. She could go home with anyone and be happy so long as they fed her and gave her some lovin'. On her terms, of course :)

She is a wonderful family dog - I could not have hoped for better. I have two sons, one is just over two and the other is 5 months. She has this instinctive slow amble around them, it's just beautiful. She puts up with lots of pats and even instigates play by bowing in front of my toddler. It's very cute. The only thing I would worry about is kids trying to pick up pugs as puppies (or older :thumbsup:). But we had the dogs before the babies, so it's never been a problem here.

Are they good little lap dogs? Or are they more independant than, say, I cavy for instance?

What do you mean by good lap dogs? Mine isnt content to sit on my lap - she wants to get under my skin! Very much my shadow but when she went off to a friend's house when we went on holidays she fitted right in. I wouldnt call her independent but rather, adaptable

Thanks Huga! :)

Are they good little family dogs?

Always have loved the faces on them!

Should get one for my OH. :o

I think he would kill me considering I want to get my seconand Pointer too!

Good lap dogs yes and no, I think the boys are more smoochier than girls so they make better cuddle buddies but then again both my girls will both snuggle but only at night :) its weird.

They are great family dogs, lots of fun and great companions and ours love our pointer, they are a good combo of big and little dogs. :thumbsup:

Oh and same here with the nose roll I wipe them out once a week if that and they are fine, never had an issue.