Pug

Troy

Thanks guys!

And by good lap dogs I mean will be around you and whatnot, not so much like my kitten, who is asleep on my lap right now purring.

They sound great! And its nice to know they get along with Pointers! Always a plus. :(

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering, and sorry if this question has been asked already, but is there certain care that needs to be taken into account when washing these little cuties because of the loose skin which forms rolls on their bakcs/necks, and around their face?

It has always been a question I have been meaning to ask an owner, and this seems to be the perfect time.

Also, how do they go around farm animals, like sheep and horses?

My sheep just ignore the Pugs...the Pugs run up to them, the sheep just look at them. The goats try and head butt them, which only spurs the Pug on more lol. The Pugs cant get in with the cows, they are too big, as horses would be. I would be careful with horses as the Pugs do like to bark, it depends on the reaction of the animal...if your horses ignore them then the Pug will be bored and move on. :laugh:

Thanks Raz and Sharonpuggywuggy.

Glad to know how they go with sheep and horses. As we horse ride, and round up the sheep on our horses. :laugh:

My horse is very quiet. I had my pointer come on a trail ride the other day. Normally she runs off and points at EVERYTHING that moves, but this time she thought it would be a wonderful idea to... Yes, she does think shes a BC... To roundf up the horses!! It was rather funny.

Both horses just kept walking, trotting and cantering. My pointer kept barking at the horses legs, and running in circles, and jumping at their faces. LOL.

She had a blast though!

But yes, my gelding is quiet and isn't bothered by dogs and barking.

• 2 weeks later...

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

I currently own my 6th Pug. Had a Pug nearly every day of my life since I was 5.

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

They can be traced back as far as 700BC They were owned by the Chinese Emperors & were also the favorite breed for Dutch royalty (the house of Orange)

3. How common is it in Australia?

Not very common in my town. I'm only one of 3 pug people that I'm aware of.

4. What is the average lifespan?

About 10-15 years but I've heard of them living longer. My youngest died @ 10 & my oldest @ 15

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

Great with kids & other dogs. Love bossing bigger dogs around. :)

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

Most are happy to just hang around the house but like their owners, do need regular walks.

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

Only if they've had a good education from the breeder or other owners re what to expect in the way of potential health problems & diet.

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

Yes. Most are happy to just sleep.

9. How much grooming is required?

Minimal but a daily zoom groom is essential when they're shedding.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

No. I got my ist Pug @ age 5 & my Mother had them right up to when she passed away @ 86

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

Yes. Hemivertebrae & epilepsy are just 2 of many.

I'm sure the answer to this question is here somewhere but I can't find it.

Does anyone have any info on the QLD Pug club? I'm thinking about taking my boy to a couple of shows just for fun. Don't have any big expectations because he's 11. Just want somewhere to hang out with other Pug people. I've heard they have their shows at Durack. Is that right? If so, when or where is the next 1?

Thanks.

QUESTIONS

Owner, Exhibitor and Breeder in training

Fliss covered the wheres and whys of the breed :rolleyes:

I'd say fairly common, obviously not as common as some breeds but would be pretty high up there in numbers. They are a very common breed for BYBing as BYBers feel they have a right to charge people excessive prices :rofl:

I havn't had personal experience with aged pugs but a friend lost her lovely man recently at around 13, I think if you google it the breed average is around 12-14 yrs

Definate clowns and attention seekers!

They love to be with their person/people, I have one that will follow me so closely around the house that she is often running up the back of my leg especially if I stop and she doesn't.

They greet people with alot of energy and are usually just a big bundle of entertainment.

Something I have noticed with our pugs is that at times they try very hard to not fall sleep, I often look ouside to see a very sleepy looking pug sitting in the sun swaying and then all of a sudden they will fall and completely pass out and sometimes they jump straight back up suprised that they have just fallen asleep. :rofl:

Also they are very cheeky and can some times be abit naughty like sucking on or chewying on the edge of your pillow when they think you are asleep or trying to eat walls I've had two that I have seen walk up to a wall and just start munching!

One thing that really freaked my out about my boy fergy (RIP) was that he used to watch me sleep, very spooky! ;)

Pugs love to get out and about for a walk, but they arnt going to rip your house to bits if they dont get taken for a daily walk. Ours usually just get a really big run out side morning and night, we have a border collie who loves to play fetch and whilst the pugs dont have any idea what fetch is they love to chase him so they get exercised that way. :laugh:

Yes I think so aslong as they do their research first and know that the breed is definately right for them.

Two big things any new owners needs to think about is pugs need to be inside, are they going to be ok with that? and pugs shed alot can they cope with a lot of hair sitting around the house and on their clothes?

One pug is fine but why would you just want one :laugh:

They shed a hell of alot! I wash mine either weekly or bi weekly because they can be very dirty little creatures and I like clean dogs. Regular baths and blow drys seem to take care of alot of the shedding also.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

No not too boisterous, but I do sort of agree with Fliss about puppies and very little kids can be a possible bad match. I think it really just depends on how old the kid is and the parents ability to be a good supervisor of puppy kiddy interaction. Eg, I recently met a family that had just bought their first pug and their two boys were 5 and 8, the two boys were very gentle and careful with the baby and the werent to pick the puppy up unless they really need to, their Mum and Dad were also very good at supervising what went on.

I think Fliss covered this well.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

With pugs I'd first make sure they are a registered breed because there are alot of "breeders" out there that try to pass themseleves off as registered by using dogs with papers (limited or main) but they are not actually registered.

Make sure the pup comes with papers I know of some unethical registered breeders who sell litters with out papers.

Ask if you can come meet some of their dogs (if they are local)

If you are considering getting a pup freighted to you really do your research on the breeder prior to make sure its not some sort of scam.

hello sammy

i'm new to this pug forum, and we have just got ourselves a male black and tan pug named snuffles, cause,

well, that's what he does.

i was just reading yours and everyone elses answers to the questions.

in question 6 - you said that your boarder collies will

play fetch and the pug has no idea about it..........

well.............i'm very proud to say, that when snuffles was 8 weeks old, I taught him how to fetch. i am so

proud of him and myself. i first noticed that he would try his hardest to bring back a tennis ball, by just carrying

the fluffy part of the ball in his mouth. so i kept going with his toys, and balls, and he now loves it and gets

so excited when we play fetch.

and i laughed so much about how they have no idea when they are tired. just too much to miss out on.

we call it "tired eyes". not quite shut, just open enough to see whats happening, but no way go to sleep.

and the tinyest noise, bump, key in the door, the car door, the cat meowing, will wake them up.

ok thanks for listening. ;)

I look after 3 little pugs for a day every week and love them! Do those experienced with the breed find that other dogs sometimes have a hard time reading them to start with? My dogs adore them but when i have seen dogs not used to pugs interact with them some of them seem to take a little while to understand what the pugs are 'saying'.

I have always felt that it is more do to with the Pug not reading the other dogs as well. I find that Pugs are very open to being attacked or told off by other dogs because they do not acknowledge the body language and behaviour of other dogs.

I know what you mean,i used to take Doug on the Walk for Paws,he would jump up at dogs that were bigger than me,he just did not care,straight into their face,most of the big dogs ran away from him,or the owner would pull thier dogs away.About the sneezing,Doug used to sneaze or i called it blowing snot,when he did not get his own way,or when you had a bit of food,and he wanted some,if you did not give him any,he would snot on it,not that i minded,its only Pug snot.And yes,Pugs do snore.I also found,what made the snoring worse,was if i sat on the couch,doug would climb up the couch,lay across my shoulders and neck,and snore his head off.

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently had clients come into work with pugs and of course i tell them about my own special little guy, they always ask "is he fawn or black? We've owned both and they're *completely* different" Are these people just inexperienced, bought one of each, they have different personalities so they decide it is because of the colour? Or is there actually some kind of genetic reason that follows both colour and temperament in pug lines?

I've only got Hugo and met a few (stunning) black pugs briefly, so i have no idea.

I've recently had clients come into work with pugs and of course i tell them about my own special little guy, they always ask "is he fawn or black? We've owned both and they're *completely* different" Are these people just inexperienced, bought one of each, they have different personalities so they decide it is because of the colour? Or is there actually some kind of genetic reason that follows both colour and temperament in pug lines?

I've only got Hugo and met a few (stunning) black pugs briefly, so i have no idea.

I have two pugs, a black male and a fawn male. I am only very new to the pug world, as I only got my little terrors a month ago (they are now 12 weeks) but whilst researching the breed, I did notice a few forums and sites that stated a difference in personality types between the two. and i have found that my two seem to fall under each type. My fawn is a bit couch-potato-ish, sensitive, and cuddly, and my black pug is quite skittish, much more energetic, less cuddly, and pretty naughty :thumbsup: but as i said, i am very new to pugs myself, so I would like advice on this matter too!

I have two pugs, a black male and a fawn male. I am only very new to the pug world, as I only got my little terrors a month ago (they are now 12 weeks) but whilst researching the breed, I did notice a few forums and sites that stated a difference in personality types between the two. and i have found that my two seem to fall under each type. My fawn is a bit couch-potato-ish, sensitive, and cuddly, and my black pug is quite skittish, much more energetic, less cuddly, and pretty naughty :laugh: but as i said, i am very new to pugs myself, so I would like advice on this matter too!

Well if that's what fawns should be like then Hugo certainly meets that criteria!! :thumbsup:

Perhaps it's true! Breeders?

Edited by Bindii

I have two pugs, a black male and a fawn male. I am only very new to the pug world, as I only got my little terrors a month ago (they are now 12 weeks) but whilst researching the breed, I did notice a few forums and sites that stated a difference in personality types between the two. and i have found that my two seem to fall under each type. My fawn is a bit couch-potato-ish, sensitive, and cuddly, and my black pug is quite skittish, much more energetic, less cuddly, and pretty naughty :D but as i said, i am very new to pugs myself, so I would like advice on this matter too!

Yes there is generally a big difference between the two colours.

When I was first getting into pugs I asked a breeder and she said "blacks are special, out of this world kind of special" :)

After owning a couple of each colour I definately lean towards the blacks. They are incrediabley naughty when babies and are extra crazy, they are double the crazy strength of a fawn. When fawns mature they just become snuggy couch potatos which is great but blacks still seem to have the same "fire" or "full on character" as they did as a baby.

I've been trying for a while to put my finger on what it is that draws me to the blacks maybe its their very special way of bonding with and loving their owner. For example, my first black who is sadly no longer with us used to sit in bed at night and stare at me, abit freaky and stalkerish especially if i woke up and saw him sitting there staring and my current girl does this weird slow motion thing when she doesn't think I'm looking and she literally creeps closer and closer to me in slow motion. :rofl: Maybe its actually that they are way smarter and cuter than fawns :rofl: I'm not sure what it is but it has me hooked!

I'm not sure if I am making any sence the best way for someone to understand it is to eventually own one of each colour! Owning a black pug is definately an experience every pug lover should have! But be warned everything you thought you knew about they way pugs are will fly right out the window :love:

QUESTIONS

Owner, Exhibitor and Breeder in training

Fliss covered the wheres and whys of the breed :)

I'd say fairly common, obviously not as common as some breeds but would be pretty high up there in numbers. They are a very common breed for BYBing as BYBers feel they have a right to charge people excessive prices :rofl:

I havn't had personal experience with aged pugs but a friend lost her lovely man recently at around 13, I think if you google it the breed average is around 12-14 yrs

Definate clowns and attention seekers!

They love to be with their person/people, I have one that will follow me so closely around the house that she is often running up the back of my leg especially if I stop and she doesn't.

They greet people with alot of energy and are usually just a big bundle of entertainment.

Something I have noticed with our pugs is that at times they try very hard to not fall sleep, I often look ouside to see a very sleepy looking pug sitting in the sun swaying and then all of a sudden they will fall and completely pass out and sometimes they jump straight back up suprised that they have just fallen asleep. :D

Also they are very cheeky and can some times be abit naughty like sucking on or chewying on the edge of your pillow when they think you are asleep or trying to eat walls I've had two that I have seen walk up to a wall and just start munching!

One thing that really freaked my out about my boy fergy (RIP) was that he used to watch me sleep, very spooky! :rofl:

Pugs love to get out and about for a walk, but they arnt going to rip your house to bits if they dont get taken for a daily walk. Ours usually just get a really big run out side morning and night, we have a border collie who loves to play fetch and whilst the pugs dont have any idea what fetch is they love to chase him so they get exercised that way. :rofl:

Yes I think so aslong as they do their research first and know that the breed is definately right for them.

Two big things any new owners needs to think about is pugs need to be inside, are they going to be ok with that? and pugs shed alot can they cope with a lot of hair sitting around the house and on their clothes?

One pug is fine but why would you just want one :love:

They shed a hell of alot! I wash mine either weekly or bi weekly because they can be very dirty little creatures and I like clean dogs. Regular baths and blow drys seem to take care of alot of the shedding also.

No not too boisterous, but I do sort of agree with Fliss about puppies and very little kids can be a possible bad match. I think it really just depends on how old the kid is and the parents ability to be a good supervisor of puppy kiddy interaction. Eg, I recently met a family that had just bought their first pug and their two boys were 5 and 8, the two boys were very gentle and careful with the baby and the werent to pick the puppy up unless they really need to, their Mum and Dad were also very good at supervising what went on.

I think Fliss covered this well.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

With pugs I'd first make sure they are a registered breed because there are alot of "breeders" out there that try to pass themseleves off as registered by using dogs with papers (limited or main) but they are not actually registered.

Make sure the pup comes with papers I know of some unethical registered breeders who sell litters with out papers.

Ask if you can come meet some of their dogs (if they are local)

If you are considering getting a pup freighted to you really do your research on the breeder prior to make sure its not some sort of scam.

hello sammy

i'm new to this pug forum, and we have just got ourselves a male black and tan pug named snuffles, cause,

well, that's what he does.

i was just reading yours and everyone elses answers to the questions.

in question 6 - you said that your boarder collies will

play fetch and the pug has no idea about it..........

well.............i'm very proud to say, that when snuffles was 8 weeks old, I taught him how to fetch. i am so

proud of him and myself. i first noticed that he would try his hardest to bring back a tennis ball, by just carrying

the fluffy part of the ball in his mouth. so i kept going with his toys, and balls, and he now loves it and gets

so excited when we play fetch.

and i laughed so much about how they have no idea when they are tired. just too much to miss out on.

we call it "tired eyes". not quite shut, just open enough to see whats happening, but no way go to sleep.

and the tinyest noise, bump, key in the door, the car door, the cat meowing, will wake them up.

ok thanks for listening. :rofl:

Good for you, congrads also on your new family member, I never said it was impossible for pugs to learn fetch just that our guys dont tend to do the fetch thing, Chase our boy will fetch but doesnt like to bring back LOL