Pug

Troy

Merci, trying to rear two young puppies together if you are new to the breed and don't have someone full time at home wouldn't be easy. I would wait the full twelve months between if you intend to get a young pup. But if you are getting an older one to start with, then quite likely you could add another just a few months later, as puglvr has suggested.

Almost all of the hereditary diseases in pugs are treatable (albeit with deep pockets) however PST or "shunt" (a type of malformation of the liver) and the extreme forms of HV (a malformation of the spine) can result in euthanasia being required at a heart-breakingly young age. Be aware also that puppies from puppy farms or really uncaring or ignorant BYB's may be in such poor condition that they can perish from non-inherited conditions such as parvo virus.

So please do your research and support only ethical breeders, or if you are worried about your breeder-radar abilities, get an older dog via a breed or specialty rescue.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you are in NSW Merci. In addition to the excellent advise offered above, I would recommend you ring the NSW Pug Club and enquire about Pug shows.

They are often held around Sydney, and larger ones in particular, are an excellent way of meeting a lot of breeders in one day. That way you can speak to many different breeders and see their Pugs as well.

Castle Hill Showground and Erskine Park are 2 venues that may be within distance for you.

Thanks guys. Sydney isnt too far from where I live so it might be a good idea. I am also tending towards getting an adult first, even though we all want a cute little sniffly puppy, having had dogs growing up and raising a puppy are very different things (as my brother has recently discovered).

I am aware of the puppy mills and BYB problem and will do my best to aviod them. Are there any Pug rescues around? Every one I have heard of/found has had a faulty web address.

Call Denise from PAWS. Even if there isn't a Pug on her web site she will know if she has any coming in so you get dibs before the dog even makes it on the website (pending home approval of course). She could even already have some in care that aren't on the site yet.

One of those 'faulty sites' is possibly mine (Pug Rescue Sydney). I closed my rescue almost 2 years ago but it is impossible to remove reference to it all over the web.

As Clyde has said above, speak with Denise at Paws Rescue. www.paws.com.au

Edited by ~Anne~

Thanks everyone for your input. We are still a couple of months off getting one i think (we havent even finished buying the house yet) but I asked the BF about getting an older dog and he was ok with that.

Thanks for letting me know about those in Vic Jane, but that really is too far for us.

Eeep getting excited now. lol and its still a while away.

• 2 years later...
Guest Maeby Fünke

The Pug

History

The Pug is thought to be one of the oldest breeds of dog on record, even though the first recorded appearance of the word pug in the English language did not occur until 1566. It was not until the middle of the next century that, according to The Oxford English Dictionary, the term pug came to mean “a dwarf breed of dog resembling a bull-dog in miniature”. Pugs are believed to have originated in the Orient, namely China, where they were documented by Confucius as early as 551 BC. We also know that the common forbearers for the Pug are the Pekingese and the Lion Dog. Pugs (or Lo-Sze which is an early name for pug) were considered prized possessions by Chinese emperors. Some were even given their own palaces, servants and guards. The Chinese sent Pugs as gifts to important individuals throughout Korea and Japan, thus spreading the popularity of these charming little dogs. The Dutch East India Company had a huge influence on the spread of the breed. Development of these important trade routes between Europe and the Far East brought Pugs to Portugal, Netherlands, Spain, France and England. Often times, soldiers gave them as gifts to loved ones when returning from China. Even though Pugs were well known in Italy and Spain throughout the eighteenth century, the Dutch are generally credited with being the agents of the Pug importation in Europe. It is in England where the blueprint of today’s modern Pug took shape. By 1800 two distinct strains dominated English bloodlines. The earlier was the Morrison line, and the later was the Willoughby line. Together, these lines are the key foundation to our Pugs today. In eighteenth century Britain, Pugs were considered highly fashionable both in court and among people with discerning taste. David Garrick, an English actor, once wrote, “A fine lady…keeps a pug dog and hates the Parsons”.

By the middle of the nineteenth century, however, the Pug popularity was in decline. Taplin, an English writer, described Pug dogs as, “applicable to no sport, appropriated to no useful purpose, susceptible of no predominant passion”. It is Queen Victoria who is credited for bringing the Pug back into favor once again. In Europe, the preferred color of Pug was a golden fawn. The origin of the black and silver Pug colors is not known. It is suspected that the black color was considered a birth defect, thus many of these unfortunate dogs were destroyed at birth. History does tell us that Queen Victoria had several black Pugs, as well as two silver Pugs named Ayan and Mops. We also know that black Pugs were exhibited in England by Lady Brassey at the first Pug Dog Club Show in June of 1885 and in Britain’s Maidstone Show in 1886. A black Pug named Jack Spratt was once such Pug exhibited by Lady Brassey at these shows. History also speaks of another well known black Pug called the “Singing Pug”. It is said that if he was given a chord on the piano or humming, he could pick up the note and sing it! The first Pugs in America arrived a short time after the Civil War. Pugs were accepted into the American Kennel Club toy group in 1885. At this point they were one of fifteen breeds recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC). The Pug has experienced both highs and lows in popularity in this country. In 1920 only five were registered, but in 1931 the Pug Dog Club of America was founded. The Pug saw a great surge of popularity in the 1950’s. By 1998, over 21,000 Pugs were registered, and they continue to thrive today. Even though Pugs were accepted into the AKC in 1885, it was not until 1981 that a Pug won Westminster Kennel Club Show. His name was Ch Dhandys Favorite Woodchuck. “Chucky” as he is known, is still the only Pug to have ever achieved this honor!

http://pugminded.com/ahistoryofpugs.html

Pug Personality

"Multum in parvo". This is the age old Latin expression that has so appropriately become the motto of the Pug. It literally means, "A lot in a little package" Though it is not known with whom this saying originated, it is certainly safe to say they knew what they were talking about when it comes to Pugs! Anyone who has been fortunate enough to share their life with a Pug understands just how deeply they touch the soul. Pugs quickly become our best friends, and true members of our family. It is not uncommon to see ownership of Pugs run in human families, with several generations all choosing to own the breed. There is truly no better company than a Pug. They have been credited with lowering our blood pressure, improving our mental health, and generally contributing to an increased life span. Pugs have long been favorites for their unique and quirky personality, often referred to as the "clowns of the dog world". If you are looking for a companion dog, a Pug simply cannot be beat. They are loyal, constant and devoted friends. Pugs generally attach themselves to one person, or small group. This becomes their core family, with which a Pug will shower them with undying love and adoration. Pugs will stick with you like a shadow and are constantly craving your affection and your attention. If you are looking for an independent, self sufficient dog, a Pug is probably not the best choice! They do not wish to be left alone to amuse themselves. Pugs expect to be treated like any other member of the family, and included in all activities. They can be a bit demanding at times. Pugs learn quickly, but sometimes obeying can be a different story. Pugs have been known to be a bit stubborn at times, especially the females. Pugs are anxious to learn and willing to please, as long as it is done their way. However, food can change the entire situation! Pugs are gluttons and will do anything for even the tiniest scrap of food. Since food can be the center of their world, strict diet control is very important. I read that a Pug's colossal appetite is legendary. If the subject is food, the answer is yes (Barron's Pug Manual).

Pugs are very curious creatures, and sometimes this can get them into trouble. You have heard the expression, "Curiosity killed the cat", the same can be applied to Pugs. It is important to always be aware of your surroundings, so these little investigators don't get into anything harmful. Pugs are fearless, especially for their size. They are often noted for their bravery, along with their charm and wit. Pugs are also known for their love of people, especially children. They don't just tolerate kids, they love being around them! Pugs also get along well with other pets. Sometimes it is nice to have another companion in the household to keep your Pug company. Often times, you will see families with pairs of Pugs. Do take into consideration that more Pugs equals more Pug hair! One of the few downsides to owning a Pug is the excessive shedding. Pug hair truly takes on a life of its own. "If there is ever a nuclear war, the cockroaches that inherit the earth will be wearing tiny sweaters made of Pug hair" (Barron's Pug Manual). Overall, Pugs are amazing little dogs that are devoted to their loved ones and have a smile on their face each and every day. No one will ever be happier to see you than your Pug each time you walk through the door! A Pug's unwavering devotion cannot be matched. Your life will be richer for having shared it with this unique character. "A Pug gives you the convenience of a toy breed, the heart of a giant, the bravery of a terrier, the intelligence of a herding dog, and the face of a clown" (Barron's Pug Manual). I truly believe a house is not a home without a Pug!

http://pugminded.com/pugpersonality.html

Edited by Maeby Fünke

• 4 months later...

It's been a whilst since I was last here too.

We've been first time Pug owners for 17 months and our Baxter has stolen the hearts of a few "didn't like dogs 'til I met Baxter" family and friends. We adore him.

I'd dare say that pug OCD is a self activated lunatic switch, it can switch on at any time. its part of the Pug adorability.

We're thinking about getting another Pug soon.

• 1 month later...

i cant remember where I read it but saw that one of the chinese definitions was 'monkey'. Can any of you ladies shed some light on that? Makes sense.

Monkey in Chinese is Hou zi (pronounced like an italian saying hose: hoe-za). The modern chinese name for pug is Ha Ba Gou (gou means dog, pronounced huh baa go). Unsure, but if u rearrange the letters, or say it fast and together like this: ha bag ou, the bag (pronounced like bug), sounds like pug. I am uncertain how modern or recent Ha Ba Gou was coined or officially named, but if it is an old term, I would not be surprised if the Europeans thought they were saying pug!

The ancient (and I mean ancient) term for pug mentioned in most or all histories of its original name, eg Lo-tze is not very commonly used these days, it literally translates to old lion.

This is the story of how the ancient Chinese believed pugs were formed. Keep in mind, they love their myths!

The ancient chinese believed that a lion once fell in love with a squirrel. However, the squirrel was much too small for the lion. The lion prayed to the gods for him to be able to be with the squirrel and they be of suitable height in order to be together. The Gods granted his wish and the pug was born. That's why the pug still believes he is King of the Jungle today.

We dont own a pug, not yet, We are researching everything possible and my fiancee and I are falling utterly in love with the breed. We are on a waiting list and hopefully will receive one by years end.

We wanted a male fawn, purely because we love the color and we didnt want a female. But thankyou to everyone who has reassured that males and fawns really is perfect for us.

Someone said each day 30-60mins, some people say puppies can have daily playtime which is their exercise

Can someone clarify how much for puppies at 3, 6, 12 months and adults? And is it true they just sit or stay when theyve had enough exercise?

Ive read that people use three-four different brushes! Is someone able to kindly advise which brush they use or a combo?

So far I understand the Kong Zoom Groom for baths

Furminator (metal comb type) is great for the undercoat

Deshedding brush (metal ring brush) for same use as furminator types

Boar bristle brush to make it shiny and even

Boys are cuddlier than girls in general.

Yes, they will just stop or sit when they've had enough. Some are lazier than others. I've had to carry each of mine on different occasions when out walking and they've decided they've had enough. :laugh:

Puppies are very, very active. They don't slow down until maturity and some mature pretty late. I have an almost 10 year old who is more active than many 3 year olds.

Pugs are not dogs that generally match an active lifestyle. They love a walk and a play and some love walking more than others. But in general. Pugs are not dogs that you would take for a multiple kilometre walk every day. They also should be exercised only minimally when it's hot.

I use a furminator and that between washing, rubbing vigorously with a towel and then brushing with the furminator I can almost get the shedding under control. Be warned though, no pug owner EVER gets the shedding under control.

When looking at buying a pug, which are an indoor dog, consider the fact that you will have a house full of fur for up to 15 years. Your future babies will crawl amongst it, it will get in your food, on your furniture, in the cracks between your floor boards, it will fill your vacuum cleaner, and coat your clothes. You will live and breathe pug hair. Be prepared.

Edited by ~Anne~

• 3 weeks later...

We dont own a pug, not yet, We are researching everything possible and my fiancee and I are falling utterly in love with the breed. We are on a waiting list and hopefully will receive one by years end.

We wanted a male fawn, purely because we love the color and we didnt want a female. But thankyou to everyone who has reassured that males and fawns really is perfect for us.

Someone said each day 30-60mins, some people say puppies can have daily playtime which is their exercise

Can someone clarify how much for puppies at 3, 6, 12 months and adults? And is it true they just sit or stay when theyve had enough exercise?

Ive read that people use three-four different brushes! Is someone able to kindly advise which brush they use or a combo?

So far I understand the Kong Zoom Groom for baths

Furminator (metal comb type) is great for the undercoat

Deshedding brush (metal ring brush) for same use as furminator types

Boar bristle brush to make it shiny and even

We have a male fawn, he is 4 years old now. He has calmed down a lot since we got him as a pup. But I would still call him an extremely active dog. He does not sit still. He gets 30mins walk each day. And will go with my OH for a 10km run once a week (in the colder months). In summer, we have to vary our walk times as he doesn't handle the heat well. So we tend to walk twice a day 15mins early morning and then another 15mins later in the evening. He seems to enjoy it more that way.

He is super easy to train, mainly cause he loves food! Will do anything for food (except get his nails clipped).

For brushing, as Anne said, get used to having fur everywhere!! I have a furminator which I use every 2-3 days, at the end of seasons I have to use it every day. And I still have a house full of fur :)

• 3 months later...

Hi all!

I have a two friends, the most lovely couple ever, who are after a pug. They are looking toward a black one, but of course colour is totally up for discussion and temp and soundness are more important.

They want a really fabulous breeder, ideally in Victoria, but again, that’s negotiable too. If anyone could PM me suggestions and also which breeders and lines to run a mile from, as I am sure there are some doozies!

If you also wouldn’t mind giving me some info re what to look for, what test results to ask to see and what else to ask that would be great.

My breed is miles different, so I promised them I would ask around for recommendations and ones to avoid.