Australian Shepherd

Troy

Thanks guys!! :thumbsup:

I have contacted a few breeders, inculding Wajoma, her dogs are gorge!

Thanks for the info on the other 2 breeders Rusty. Ill come in with some photos of the new baby when she arrives, hopefully before the end of the year! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I apologise, I haven't read the entire thread - but has anyone had any issues with Aussies barking? Our (very aggressive) neighbour complained that he barks constantly when we're out - while I am dubious as to the accuracy of her claims (she aggressively told me we'd done absolutely nothing since she first complained to us 3 months ago, which is completely untrue) the reality is, I have to do something.

The council's website was unhelpful - suggested all the things we do already, he is walked regularly, fed twice a day, we play with him, has plenty of toys to play with and a bed to sleep on. He is completely quiet when we are home, and has been taught (via crate training) not to bark, so that at worst, we get a single bark, and then stops.

The neighbourhood is full of barking dogs - there is one near us (next to the complaining neighbour) who yaps constantly, however it has been eerily quiet the last couple of days, so I suspect she's complaining/threatening everyone, however this helps me not. I also suspect that because Harvey has a rather loud, robust bark that he gets a greater proportion of the blame. Irrespective, the issue needs dealing with!

I considered that it was separation anxiety - he can be quiet clingy - but he doesn't whine to come inside if we're home and he's outside unless we've been out all day. And even then, his whining is ignored (because I don't want to reinforce the behaviour).

Anyway, here is a picture of the lovely Harvey. He very helpfully sat himself and his toy on top of a pile of crocheted squares I was about to post off to a charity.

post-20965-0-80092400-1378347293_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Kate,

Talk to your other neighbours to get a good picture of whether your dog is barking or not.... There is nothing wrong with a dog barking for a few minutes and then it settles, however if barking loudly and constantly then you are meant to take action. Most dogs who are walked and allowed to spend time inside with the family don't spend the day barking - unless there is something on the boundry that is causing problems. Ideally create a buffer zone between your dog and this particular neighbour's fence. About 1.5 metres using star picket and chicken wire you can create a vegie garden area - thus if the neighbour is out there stirring the dog up on the other side of the fence your dog is back some distance and gets bored with this silly game.....

One option - You can also purchase ctv cameras very cheap these days and allows you to set up and monitor the backyard for periods of the days movement and sound.... this will give you a good idea of the true happenings.

Another thing worth doing is having a notepad in the kitchen draw.,.... keep notes of anything unusual - e.g. write down time and date of when you are away with the dog or if home sick from work etc. Also note any time she actually complains even if complaints are not about the dog.

You will be surprised how useful it can be to track back even for a year or more of any problems with these sort of neighbours.

If council comes knocking at the door you will be prepared. (in theory they will request a complaint in writing from her as well as she will be advised to keep a diary of the problems) Your diary and her diary will likely not match... most people are lazy and don't keep accurate diary and she is likely to make up some times or dates - if they see she is lying then she can be seen as unreliable...... just a complainer.

Kate,

Talk to your other neighbours to get a good picture of whether your dog is barking or not.... There is nothing wrong with a dog barking for a few minutes and then it settles, however if barking loudly and constantly then you are meant to take action. Most dogs who are walked and allowed to spend time inside with the family don't spend the day barking - unless there is something on the boundry that is causing problems. Ideally create a buffer zone between your dog and this particular neighbour's fence. About 1.5 metres using star picket and chicken wire you can create a vegie garden area - thus if the neighbour is out there stirring the dog up on the other side of the fence your dog is back some distance and gets bored with this silly game.....

One option - You can also purchase ctv cameras very cheap these days and allows you to set up and monitor the backyard for periods of the days movement and sound.... this will give you a good idea of the true happenings.

Another thing worth doing is having a notepad in the kitchen draw.,.... keep notes of anything unusual - e.g. write down time and date of when you are away with the dog or if home sick from work etc. Also note any time she actually complains even if complaints are not about the dog.

You will be surprised how useful it can be to track back even for a year or more of any problems with these sort of neighbours.

If council comes knocking at the door you will be prepared. (in theory they will request a complaint in writing from her as well as she will be advised to keep a diary of the problems) Your diary and her diary will likely not match... most people are lazy and don't keep accurate diary and she is likely to make up some times or dates - if they see she is lying then she can be seen as unreliable...... just a complainer.

Thanks, this is really useful advice. We do all of the usual things that would otherwise contribute to boredom barking - walking, stimulation, time with family, food, plenty of toys. I think the idea of a buffer zone is useful, or having ctv cameras to observe Harvey's behaviour when we're not home.

The other dogs surrounding us have resumed their usual noisy barking, and Harvey has barked maybe 3 times in the last fortnight (two of which were today, both times he was crated in response). I'm not convinced he is the problem, however, a diary to essentially 'prove' (or disprove') this to the council/complaining neighbour may be necessary.

Gah. Neighbours!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I apologise, I haven't read the entire thread - but has anyone had any issues with Aussies barking? Our (very aggressive) neighbour complained that he barks constantly when we're out - while I am dubious as to the accuracy of her claims (she aggressively told me we'd done absolutely nothing since she first complained to us 3 months ago, which is completely untrue) the reality is, I have to do something.

The council's website was unhelpful - suggested all the things we do already, he is walked regularly, fed twice a day, we play with him, has plenty of toys to play with and a bed to sleep on. He is completely quiet when we are home, and has been taught (via crate training) not to bark, so that at worst, we get a single bark, and then stops.

The neighbourhood is full of barking dogs - there is one near us (next to the complaining neighbour) who yaps constantly, however it has been eerily quiet the last couple of days, so I suspect she's complaining/threatening everyone, however this helps me not. I also suspect that because Harvey has a rather loud, robust bark that he gets a greater proportion of the blame. Irrespective, the issue needs dealing with!

I considered that it was separation anxiety - he can be quiet clingy - but he doesn't whine to come inside if we're home and he's outside unless we've been out all day. And even then, his whining is ignored (because I don't want to reinforce the behaviour).

kateykateykatey - I have had issues with my Aussie girl barking a lot too. Luckily my neighbours have been OK about it, but I'm not at all comfortable that she barks so much. I'm reasonably sure some of my girl's barking is caused by people walkign past, but some is certainly separation as well.

I can recommend the ap 'SleepTalk'. You can leave it running on an iPad or phone near an open window and it records sounds when activated by noise. I am able to play it back at the end of a day and work out which barks are my neighbour's dog and which are mine. It time and dates stamps the file, and you can save each sound file as well. It is a great and inexpensive way of knowing exactly what is going on.

Good luck!