Australian Shepherd

Troy

The Australian Shepherd

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/Breed_Details.aspx?bid=134 )

Group: Group 5 (Working Dogs)

General Appearance: The Australian Shepherd is well balanced, slightly longer than tall of medium size and bone, with colouring that offers variety and individuality. He is attentive and animated, lithe and agile, solid and muscular without cloddiness. He has a coat of moderate length and coarseness. He has a docked or natural bobbed tail.

Characteristics: The Australian Shepherd is an intelligent working dog of strong herding and guarding instincts. He is a loyal companion and has the stamina to work all day.

Temperament: The Australian Shepherd is an intelligent, active dog with an even disposition, he is good natured, seldom quarrelsome. They may be somewhat reserved in initial meetings. Faults: Any display of shyness, fear or aggression is to be severely penalised. American Kennel Club

Head And Skull: The head is clean cut, strong and dry. Overall size should be in proportion to the body. The muzzle is equal in length or slightly shorter than the back skull. Viewed from the side the topline of the back skull and muzzle form parallel planes, divided by a moderate, well defined stop. The muzzle tapers little from base to nose and is rounded at the tip.

Skull: Top flat to slightly domed, it may show a slight occipital protuberance. Length and width are equal. Moderate well-defined stop. Muzzle tapers little from base to nose and is rounded at the tip.

Nose: Blue merles and blacks have black pigmentation on the nose (and lips). Red merles and reds have liver (brown) pigmentation on the nose (and lips). On the merles it is permissible to have small pink spots, however they should not exceed 25% of the nose on dogs over one year of age which is a serious fault.

Eyes: Are brown, blue, amber or any variation or combination thereof, including flecks and marbling. Almond shaped, not protruding nor sunken. The blue merles and blacks have black pigmentation on eye rims. The red merles and reds have liver (brown) pigmentation on eye rims.

Expression: Showing attentiveness and intelligence, alert and eager. Gaze should be keen but friendly.

Ears: Are triangular of moderate size and leather, set high on the head. At full attention they break forward and over, or to the side as a rose ear.

Prick ears and hanging ears are severe faults.

Mouth: Teeth: A full complement of strong white teeth should meet in a scissor bite or may meet in a level bite.

Disqualification: Undershot. Overshot greater than .3 cm (1/8 in).

Loss of contact caused by short centre incisors in an otherwise correct bite shall not be judged undershot. Teeth broken or missing by accident shall not be penalised.

Neck: Is strong of moderate length, slightly arched at the crest, fitting well into the shoulders.

Forequarters: Shoulders: Shoulder blades are long, flat, fairly close set at the withers and well laid back. The upper arm, which should be relatively the same length as the shoulder blade, attaches at an approximate right angle to the shoulder line with forelegs dropping straight, on a perpendicular to the ground.

Legs: Straight and strong. Bone is strong, oval rather than round. Pasterns are medium length and very slightly sloped. Front dew claws may be removed.

Body: Topline: Back is straight and strong, level and firm from withers to hip joints. The croup is moderately sloped. Chest is not broad but is deep with the lowest point reaching the elbow. The ribs are well sprung and long, neither barrel chested not slab-sided. The underline shows a moderate tuck-up.

Hindquarters: The width of the hindquarters is equal to the width of the forequarters at the shoulders. The angulation of the pelvis and upper thigh corresponds to the angulation of the shoulder blade and upper arm, forming an approximate right angle. Stifles are clearly defined, hock joints moderately bent. The hocks (rear pasterns) are short, perpendicular to the ground and parallel to each other when viewed from the rear. Rear dew claws must be removed.

Feet: Front & Hind: Are oval, compact with close knit, well arched toes. Pads are thick and resilient.

Tail: Is straight, docked or naturally bobbed, not to exceed four inches in length.

Gait/Movement: The Australian Shepherd has a smooth, free and easy gait. He exhibits great agility of movement with a well-balanced, ground-covering stride. Fore and hind legs move straight, and parallel with the centre line of the body. As speed increases, the feet (front and rear) converge towards the centre line of gravity of the dog, while the back remains firm and level. The Australian Shepherd must be agile and able to change direction or alter gait instantly.

Coat: Hair is of medium texture, straight to wavy, weather resistant and of medium length. The undercoat varies in quantity with variations in climate. Hair is short and smooth on the head, ears, front of forelegs and below the hockjoints. Backs of forelegs and britches are moderately feathered. There is a moderate mane and frill, more pronounced in dogs than in bitches. Non-typical coats are severe faults.

Colour: Blue merle, black, red merle, red - all with or without white markings and/or tan (copper) points, with no order of preference. The hairline of a white collar does not exceed the point of the withers at the skin. White is acceptable on the neck (either in part or as a full collar), chest, legs, muzzle underparts, blaze on head and white extension from underpart up to four inches measuring from a horizontal line at the elbow. White on the head should not predominate and the eyes must be fully surrounded by colour and pigment. Merles characteristically become darker with increasing age.

Disqualifications: White body splashes, which means white on body between withers and tail, on sides between elbows and back of hindquarters on all colours.

Sizes: The preferred height for males is 51-58.5 cm (20-23 ins) and females 45.5-53.5 cm (18-21 ins). Quality is not to be sacrificed in favour of size.

Proportion: Measuring from the breastbone to rear of thigh and from top of the withers to the ground the Australian Shepherd is slightly longer than tall.

Substance: Solidly built with moderate bone. Structure in the male reflects masculinity without coarseness. Bitches appear feminine without being slight of bone.

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

SERIOUS FAULTS

Any display of shyness, fear or aggression to be severely penalised.

Pink spots on nose in dogs over one year of age which exceed 25% of nose.

Prick ears; hanging ears. Non-typical coats.

DISQUALIFICATION FAULTS

Undershot. Overshot greater than 0.3 cm (1/8 in)

White body splashes, which means white on body between withers and tail on sides between elbows and back of hindquarters on all colours.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some questions about the Aussies... I know I should probably wait for some info to be posted, but anyway....

1. What are they like temperment wise compared to other working dogs (BC / Kelpie / Cattle Dog in particular)
  2. What are they like to work? Is it a case of picking the right breeding and puppy?
  3. Would they be able to work cattle?
  4. I've heard they can be quite difficult to train compared to other working breeds, is this true?

Look forward to replies... thanks

I have some questions about the Aussies... I know I should probably wait for some info to be posted, but anyway....

1. What are they like temperment wise compared to other working dogs (BC / Kelpie / Cattle Dog in particular)
  2. What are they like to work? Is it a case of picking the right breeding and puppy?
  4. I've heard they can be quite difficult to train compared to other working breeds, is this true?

I'll answer your questions to the best of my abilities as a Aussie Owner. I don't do any herding or breeding and haven't been involved with the breed for too long.

What are they like temperment wise compared to other working dogs (BC / Kelpie / Cattle Dog in particular)

My two aussies have different personalities. One is VERY laid back and could be mistaken for an overgrown ragdoll cat. He is very much a love bug and a calm relaxed boy. The other is my bitch who is very driven to please. She is energetic, and does need to be stimulated mentally and phyically alot more then my male. However; I previously had a border collie that I loved dearly, who was from working lines and I've found my aussies to be much easier to live with temperment wise.

I've heard they can be quite difficult to train compared to other working breeds, is this true?

With Millie and Cooper, the only issue I've ever really had is concentration. That has been fixed since and they are the sort of aussies that like to learn, and enjoy training. By comparison to other breeds, I think that the aussie is a bit cheekier, and like to "test their limits" but I do think they are easy to train. Perhaps aussie people with more involvement could better answer this question.

Have owned and researched the breed for excess of 5 years now. Just bred my first litter.

All round stock dog for the USA - I think around the 1800s they were first developed in US?!

Steadily increasing in popularity. Particularly in the performance world.

12 - 14yrs.

Can be reserved with strangers - differs on each individual dog, but most are quite forward/ sociable and friendly, especially with people they know. I call them class clowns. Always up for a game and full of fun. Nothing needs to be taken seriously. Boisterous/ excitable personality, LOVE to jump etc.

Depends on the lines/ dog. I like Active dogs so I keep mine that way - 2 x walks a day, training sessions and regular obedience, agility and social activities

If they are willing to put the time and effort into exercise, stimulation and training, then yes, but they aren't a breed for anyone and are still quite an active breed.

Yes, if left with things to do such as enrichment toys, regular walks and stimulation when you are home.

Good brush once a week, Strip through coat when they drop coat 1-2 times per year. The more grooming you do, the easier it is to keep on top of it.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

Can be boisterous for young kids, but not if raised with them and taught right. I think ALL dogs should and can be trained and wouldn't recommend an aussie if they weren't going to train them at all.

Hip Displaysia, Eye tests, CEA, MDR1 (Ivermectin Sensitivity)

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

Parents should have their hips scored, eyes tested annualy and relevant DNA tests (at least CEA, HC and MDR1 recommended).

Check temperaments of parents and history of the breed and the lines. See as many relatives as you can to get a good idea of what their temperament and attitude might be like. The are large variations of Aussies in terms of style and attitude to life.

Can't answer the question in regards to temperaments as I have not owned a BC and have owned a Kelpie x. I think it's dependant on the individual. So some are laid back and some are really active, but that is the same for ANY breed.

I haven't really worked an Aussie before, but they certainly are an 'up close and personal' breed in terms of stock. In terms of agility they are more of a velcro dog wanting to work with you and beside you. If you train distance young, they cope very well.

They have worked cattle in the states and do quite well with them I hear.

Not difficult to train, no. Different herding style, yes. They are an extremely biddable breed and I just love them!

All round stock dog for the USA - I think around the 1800s they were first developed in US?!

So why the name?

From my webpage:

Unlike their name suggests, Australian Shepherds (commonly known as 'Aussies') were developed in the USA. It is believed that they obtained their name when they travelled from Northern Spain, known as the Basque country. In the 1800s, herdsmen were in great demand in Australia due to a rise in the wool market and thus some of the Basque herdsmen moved to Australia with their dogs. Eventually the Australian sheep were shipped to America and thus these dogs also followed. The terrain and weather conditions in the south western United States were similar to what they had known in Europe and thus the Australian Shepherd adapted easily. Over time the size of the breed gradually increased so that they could herd both sheep and cattle.

Thanks Leo. So did they originate in Spain or elsewhere?

i do understand it is very confusing, i myself is still muddled as they are a american bred dog, well so i was led to believe. so have no clue why they were named " australian shepherds".

Thanks Leo. So did they originate in Spain or elsewhere?

One would assume they originated in spain, but realistically we have no idea.

It is also said that they are related to the Pyrenean Shepherds of France also... I will try and find the Las Racosa website which also gives a bit of information.

The theory as to why they are called "Australian" Shepherds would be because the first fleet that held the marino sheep (from Australia) that entered America, had these dogs on it.... therefore because the origin of this fleet was from Australia, the dogs were hence named :eek:

Many of the Pyrenean breeds straddle both France and Spain, even though France tends to claim a number of them. (The Pyrenees Mountains is on both sides of the border). Lots of good photos of the smooth face variety of Pyrenean Shepherd can be found here: RACP website: face rase berger . A comparison between the two breeds is interesting even though we may never truly know the strength of the connection between the two.

Edited by espinay2

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking for myself here, and in my experience only. Your mileage may vary.

QUESTIONS

Owner of a dog and a bitch, occasional exhibitor.

Developed in the US as an allround stock dog.

Become better known, but in my experience they are still relatively unknown by the general public. Most people think they are a border collie or similar. People who are involved in dog-related activities recognise them though.

The oldest I've heard of is 16, around 12-15 is about average I think. Mine are only 2 and 1 so here's hoping for many more years pleasure from their company.

Differs from dog to dog. My boy is laid back, friendly to everyone, nosy about what's going on and very much an independent thinker. Easy to get along with and he's a real clown. Loves doing stuff with his people and is always up for a game, a walk, a run alongside the bike, a swim....but just as happy to lay by my feet and veg out.

My girl is also laid back, but quite wary around strangers and is very protective of what she considers her space. She will and does growl readily at strangers approaching the house or the car and is our early warning system that someone's at the door. She is very, very attached to me.....definitely a one-person dog, although she adores my daughter and husband, she quite happily ditches them for my company. Highly intelligent, happy enough to do stuff with us, but if she could just be with me 24 hours a day, glued to my side, she'd be ecstatic. She likes being walked and playing games, but she just as happy not to as long as she's with me.

They are both happy, affectionate dogs, one is outgoing the other is not quite so much but she does make friends and then showers them with kisses when she sees them. And she doesn't forget her friends.

A long walk and some free running or running by a bike would be ideal. Mind exercise is just as important and mine love games where they have to figure things out, and also love a bit of obedience work. Frisbee is the game of choice here, and my boy enjoys scent games where I hide a treat and he has to find it.

If the pup is chosen carefully for temperament, yes. A first time dog owner could easily cope with either of mine as long as they're prepared to set boundaries and put in the exercise and training required for a happy dog.

Mine have never been solo dogs as we have another older dog. I think they could cope with being alone while an owner is at work if thought is put into toys to leave for them, a variety that's changed regularly, and plenty of company and activities when their person is home.

A good brush once a week, a semi regular trim of paws and behind ears (although some don't get quite as woolly as others behind the ears), and a bath when possible. Mine get bathed about once a fortnight in summer and less often in winter, but that's probably more than they need. They drop coat twice a year and need to have their dead coat stripped or combed out but this is quite easy to do.

Mine have not been around small children or elderly people. I think Benson would be a bit too boisterous as he can be over-friendly. Dusty would just deafen them with her barking. But brought up with littlies and trained to keep 4 on the floor, I think they'd be fine.

Hip dysplasia and collie eye anomaly are two that come to mind. Parents should be screened and current certificates sighted. Also pups should have eyes and ears tested.

Ivermectin sensitivity is something to be very aware of as the vets I've seen don't know about it and need to be told.

Ask about current diet, as they can be sensitive to an abrupt change in diet. See above for health testing. Also a general chat about what you're plans are for the pup and how you see the adult dog fitting into your life. When we bought our boy, we wanted a pup to accompany us on photography trips, and to be able to cope with lots of different sights and sounds without being scared or nervous. The breeder chose a pup for us and he turned out to be just what we wanted. Nothing fazes him, he takes everything in his stride and enjoys all the new experiences we've been able to provide him with.

Edited by GayleK

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Aussies are addictive! I thought I could stop at two but couldn't and have just added "Scarlet" to our family... We now have Bella (black tri - 4 years), Suede (blue merle - 4 years) and the new baby Scarlet (red merle 12 weeks). All are from the same fabulous breeder, we've kept in contact because she is such a lovely lady!

Aussies are addictive! I thought I could stop at two but couldn't and have just added "Scarlet" to our family... We now have Bella (black tri - 4 years), Suede (blue merle - 4 years) and the new baby Scarlet (red merle 12 weeks). All are from the same fabulous breeder, we've kept in contact because she is such a lovely lady!

I think you should hop over to the Aussie pics thread and give us some hhhhmm Aussie pics ;)