Australian Shepherd

Troy

Aussies are addictive! I thought I could stop at two but couldn't and have just added "Scarlet" to our family... We now have Bella (black tri - 4 years), Suede (blue merle - 4 years) and the new baby Scarlet (red merle 12 weeks). All are from the same fabulous breeder, we've kept in contact because she is such a lovely lady!

Congatulations! :eek:

I have Millie, black tri colour (2years)

Cooper, red merle (1 year)

Jack, black tri (less then a year)

I still haven't got my blue merle boy i very originally wanted, however these days, i would love to get a merle bitch next... red or blue or both i don't care. ;)

Come over to the aussie thread, introduce yourself and your dogs. :rofl:

Post their names and photos and you may find some family and littermates on there. :D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Is it harder to get the red colouring?

Not hard but one just has too understand that red is recessive. Both parents must be

or carry the gene. This is what is commonly called red factored.

Is it harder to get the red colouring?

Not hard but one just has too understand that red is recessive. Both parents must be

or carry the gene. This is what is commonly called red factored.

My girl is from a litter of 12 all red tri or red merle....all adorable :D

If red is bred to red (tri or merles) you can't get black or blue. I love the reds. :o

If they are Phenotype red, then they have two recessive red genes for the color.

Black is dominant as is merle over solid. So say a Red Tri bred to a Red merle will

produce only red tris and red merles unless that red merle was a double merle, then

the litter would be prominently red merles.

How does this breed cope in a suburban yard?

How do they cope with livestock - i.e. horses?

Are they good off leash (yes with training)

Are they good with small animals like smaller dogs, cats and chickens?

What are they like with other dogs?

If supplied with adequate exercise and stimulation they are happy pets. They aren't go go go dogs (generally) and are quite happy to chill when you are. I would reccomend they come inside though and are made part of the family. Holly is happier playing games with Dad or me than she is on a walk. When she spends time at the farm with me she doesn't bother to leave the house yard. She choses to be inside with me or doing whateve I am doing) and when popped outside when we are inside she will sit at the door waiting to come in. :heart:

Really depends on lines and individual dogs and upbringing. Holly ignores horses and respects their space, but I know of some who would chase them.

Yes, most would much rather be with their owners/family than anything else. They learn quickly and love to please.

Holly is great but again it would depend on individual dog and lines. Some would love to round up the chickens, some would love to play and some would love to eat. They should be good with other dogs of any size and many in the Aussie thread have a smaller dog. As pups/young dogs they can play too rough for some small dogs though.

They should be good. Most love other dogs but may play too rough for some breeds. I know plenty of breeders who can keep entire males together even when a bitch is in season.

All of the above is my opinion only and what I have experienced. I am in no way experienced within the breed and have only been involved for a few years. I have looked after several different Aussies are different times, at my house and in their own homes.

We have three indoor cats and a small, elderly dog as well as two adult Aussies and a puppy.

Mine have grown up with the cats and see other cats as playmates. Unfortunately most other cats don't see big hairy dogs as being fun to play with. And the dogs just don't understand it.

They know cats are smaller and play with them differently than they play with each other.

They also play differently with our little old dog, they are much more gentle with her, it's like they understand her fragility.

I don't have mine offleash if we're out on a walk, although I doubt Dusty would leave my side. Benson is a bit inquisitive though and he might be inclined to wander. However, at the beach and lake they play off leash and they always come when I call them.

Not sure how they go with other animals, but we are adding chooks to the menagerie later this year so I'll have an answer then.

They really like other dogs though and enjoy it when others bring their dogs to visit. Aussies are generally not a dog-aggressive breed although I'm sure there are some exceptions. Benson has been around a couple of aggessive dogs.....mildly aggressive....and in both cases, decided behind my legs was the best place to be. He seemed to prefer ignoring them rather than responding or acting submissively or assertively.

They also play differently with our little old dog, they are much more gentle with her, it's like they understand her fragility.

Hopefully Holly learns this with age. She is so rough with Gracie, drags her around by her scruff or fur, tries to body slam her. Gracie gives her a growl and Holly will then leave her alone, but she needs to be reminded.

ETA: Although Gracie isn't really "small" (about 7-8 kg) and isn't fragile at all. :heart:

Edited by Lyndsay

• 3 weeks later...

Up until a few motnhs ago we lived on your standard 800sq metre block and never had a problem with our Aussie not coping with suburban life. When in town he had regular walks and on the weekend's we'd go down the river or in-laws farm for a big run - although he's a velcro dog so after an initial spurt of running for about 2 minutes he'd be back at our side.

My boy is good with livestock but that's probably due to his complete lack of interest in herding. When feeding the cows at in-laws farm he looks at them but stays by our side the whole time.

All the Aussie's I've been involved with have been very good off lead, coming back the first time they're called. That is naturally after some training.

My cats rule the roost and all my dogs are very respectful of their "space", even my newest addition learnt within a week not to chase the cats. The only interest my boy has shown in chickens he's met is to eat their poop :confused:

My boy generally gets along with other dogs really well but can sometimes play a bit rough for some. He is down the ladder when it comes to his order in the pack so that may also influence his interaction with others.

The above is from my own experience with my own dogs!

• 2 weeks later...

If you get the right dog, very well. My Aussie lived in a townbouse with a small courtyard for a few years and coped very well. They do need to get out regularly (at least twice a day) and exercise, even if you have a larger yard.

When we lived on a farm, obviously we did not take her out as much, but instead included her in activities on our property.

Good, my aussie was fine around my horse. She initially had a bit of a bark but was quite a sensible dog. I could taker her on trail rides with me. We lived next door to to a livery for a few years and she was fine with the horses.

Yes, very good generally, even without a lot of training I find most aussies want to stick close to their owners. they ar enot generally a breed to want to "run off"

Yes, for cats. I foster kittens and I used my dog to get them used to dogs, she was very well behaved and caring to the little kittens.

She would not kill chickens, but try to herd them.

She did not like smaller dogs though.

My girl didn't like smaller dogs, I think this is because many smaller dogs were aggressive towards her and or/yapping at her when she was younger.

She would growl and maybe have a bit of a go at them but not actually injure or bite them.

Edited by aussielover

We live on a rather small suburban block (less than 400m2) and Annie copes fine. She'd rather be inside with me, and can often be found just snoozing the day away on the couch. She is only just 1, and has been like this since she was about 6 months old.

Annie met horses for the first time a few weeks ago. The horses were used to dogs, and tolerated her having a sniff, then they left each other alone. Annie has been herding on our farm before, and was really gentle with all the young lambs, but firmer with the mummy ewes. But once we had finished moving them, she quickly settled into just being her normal playful self, with barely a glance at the sheep.

Yes, our girl has always been fabulous off leash. I think it helped that we initially took her off leash with another dog who was trained, so also helped to train her, but we've never had a problem with her running off.

In the case of my dog, she is fascinated but also scared of cats- hasn't had much to do with them. We have backyard chooks, and usually Annie leaves them alone, unless thye have been given some leftovers that seem particularly delicious. She did once or twice try to play with them like another dog (poor chook) but since being "told off" doesn't do that anymore. They are kept separately when unsupervised though.

She is more gentle with smaller dogs, and often get down to their level to play, although she is not a submissive dog.Annie was also very gentle with a young joey, as you can see in my sig.

Our girl likes most other dogs. I think I can count on one hand the number of times that something has not been right, and we've left the park immediately. However, it was not just our dog that was affected. Usually she's very eager to play and sniff etc. with other dogs - especially at obedience when we're supposed to be behaving!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Kate_Summer

Is it normal, once a bitch is desexed that the hair texture becomes really thick in the feather area? Thick as wool? Or is it the luck of the draw?

ETA: The overall hair has changed, but the feather area is ugly as & thick as.

Edited by Kate_Summer

AS the others have said - with the correct mental and physical stimulation Aussies cope quite well. Providing them things to do while you are at work and giving them appropriate exercise and they are quite happy. Like Lyndsay said - they dog chill fairly well and mostly like to just be with you. While I think inside time is important, I think that WHAT you do with your dog is far more important. so say for example, if you work FT but live alone, then making the most of that inside time with games, tug and tricks for at least a short session would be best :rofl:

Not sure on this one as I don't have any, but I would say due to lack of exposure mine would chase them :laugh:. But with training etc, I think they would be fine. My friend has an Aussie that regularly visits her horse etc.

I know many many many Aussies with excellent recalls and are brilliant off leash. Training is a must, but their natural desire to be with their owners helps!

Yep. We have a cat and they are great. Heaps of people keep their Aussies with chooks, and with training I think mine would be ok. Leo is perhaps a little too obsessed with small animals :laugh:. smaller dogs - 2 of mine would be great with and 2 are a little too rough, so with a bit of training would be ok too.

Mine love them! K needs a bit of time to warm up to them, but that was only ever after her first litter. Once she knows the dog, she adores them and plays wonderfully with them! All the others - it's love at first sight :rofl:

Is it normal, once a bitch is desexed that the hair texture becomes really thick in the feather area? Thick as wool? Or is it the luck of the draw?

Yup - I've heard it's quite common. Perhaps strip her coat out and see how it recovers?

Guest Kate_Summer

Yup - I've heard it's quite common. Perhaps strip her coat out and see how it recovers?

Would clipping them make it worse?

Yes. :laugh:

Stripping takes a long time, but would be much better

Sorry, I dont have aussies but am a groomer. Do NOT under any circumstances clip or let a groomer clip an aussie. It will stuff the coat completely! Buy a furminator, they are cheapest on ebay and give the bitch a reallllly good bath and blow dry with a high powered dog dryer and once she is completely dry attack her pants/feathering with the furminator, do not do it wet or you may cut the coat!

Sorry, I dont have aussies but am a groomer. Do NOT under any circumstances clip or let a groomer clip an aussie. It will stuff the coat completely! Buy a furminator, they are cheapest on ebay and give the bitch a reallllly good bath and blow dry with a high powered dog dryer and once she is completely dry attack her pants/feathering with the furminator, do not do it wet or you may cut the coat!

+1. One of my breeder friends clipped her bitch and it completley ruined her coat.