Outside Puppy

sluggo

I already have both his books, yet to read them.

Sluggo, I only wish all puppy buyers were putting the thought and effort into puppy selection that you are.

You no doubt think that people are being a bit rough but perhaps it pays to keep in mind that most DOL members don't think of their dogs as "just a dog" - they are valued companions and family members.

The kind of folk who treat their dogs like animated garden statues tend to visit here only to try to find solutions to behavioural problems or to offload them. It doesnt sound to me like you're likely to end up going that way but if you want your kids to grow up and remember a fabulous family pet, you'll need to train whatever pup you have to become that.

Its far easier to do when you spend hours a day, every day in the company of your dog, rather than minutes. :(

...just as some people are having trouble getting their heads around the unsuitable idea of having a 100% outside dog - it's simply unfair?

A rabbit...dogs should spend time inside with their human family!

Once again, if you took the time to read my post properly you would realise i never said 100% of the time.. i quote, "He will be allowed to wonder inside on occasions, but predominately outside." Obviously if it is bitterly cold or stinking hot the dog will be allowed indoors, i'm not that stupid.

BTW, if i wanted a rabbit, i'd join a rabbit forum, so you can keep your smart comments to yourself.

Guest Tess32
I still don't think any dog will do well living outside, regardless of breed.

Completely agree

Please remember that the OP did state that this breed was not offical yet and he was just asking a questions in general. I am sure he will do a bit mroe research into some other breeds.

You are spot on jettyjet... some people just can't seem to get their heads around this concept :(

...just as some people are having trouble getting their heads around the unsuitable idea of having a 100% outside dog - it's simply unfair?

What other breeds would you consider? :thumbsup:

I have indoor rabbits only and don't think rabbits are suitable for outside.

Once again, if you took the time to read my post properly you would realise i never said 100% of the time.. i quote, "He will be allowed to wonder inside on occasions, but predominately outside." Obviously if it is bitterly cold or stinking hot the dog will be allowed indoors, i'm not that stupid.

BTW, if i wanted a rabbit, i'd join a rabbit forum, so you can keep your smart comments to yourself.

I read your post and it clearly implied the dog would be outside 99.9% of the time so I'm sorry but I'd NEVER sell you a puppy and know many others who feel the same way.

I wasn't being smart, I was very serious with my suggestion of a rabbit...far better suited to hutch life outdoors.

I still don't think any dog will do well living outside, regardless of breed.

Completely agree

Please remember that the OP did state that this breed was not offical yet and he was just asking a questions in general. I am sure he will do a bit mroe research into some other breeds.

You are spot on jettyjet... some people just can't seem to get their heads around this concept :thumbsup:

What other breeds would you consider? :laugh:

I have indoor rabbits only and don't think rabbits are suitable for outside.

Oh ok - sorry :(

Ok so a rabbit isn't suitable either...

dog

rabbit

How do people handle the problem of dogs bringing in dirt from the yard? Do you wipe their feet clean before they step inside or is there doggy footprints all over the carpets?

I guess this problem would be compounded with a doggy door, as you can't always stop them before they run in.

Actually, I'd caution against this. Consistency in terms of what your dog is and is not allowed to do would be more beneficial even if that means 100% of the time outside. You'll not toilet train a pup reliably with only occasional house access either. :( You really need to have a pup reliably toilet trained by about 5-6 months old and if house access is only occasional, I'm not sure you can do it. I don't know, I haven't tried.

Edited to answer this:

How do people handle the problem of dogs bringing in dirt from the yard? Do you wipe their feet clean before they step inside or is there doggy footprints all over the carpets?

I guess this problem would be compounded with a doggy door, as you can't always stop them before they run in.

I have a normal door mat outside the dog door and a bath mat inside it.. that catches most of the dirt. Restricting access to hard floor areas (I'd not suggest giving a pup unrestricted access to bedrooms anyway) means you'd probably not get anymore dirt from the dog than off shoes.

A crate or baby gates are a big help.

Edited by poodlefan

Guest Tess32

Do you have mostly dirt?

I have three indoor Collie Roughs and never seen a doggie footprint in my life :(

If you have mostly grass it is not an issue. You could always put a mat near the door though so it absorbs the first few footsteps.

Usually (unless it's wet) we get very minimal dirt/debre in the house...

If it's wet, mine don't usually like to go out, therefore they are forced to go out to toilet and towelled off before coming back in

ETA: they generally only bring in water off the grass though there's been the occassion of mud playing.

Edited by Aziah

Guest *Pixie*

I have a bucket of water and a towel by the door. I dampen the towel and clean their paws before they come in.

How do you handle the problem of three children under the age of five bringing in dirt from the yard? Do you wipe their feet clean before they step inside or are there kiddy footprints all over the carpets?

Sorry - but you just don't sound ready to cope with a dog (or perhaps your wife has enough on her plate with three under 5s?) Wait until the kids are older and more able to be part of the whole wonderful experience that dog owning can be.

In answer to your question - I have a large door mat and the dogs have access to the house via a door leading on to tiles.

How do you handle the problem of three children under the age of five bringing in dirt from the yard? Do you wipe their feet clean before they step inside or are there kiddy footprints all over the carpets?

Our kids were shoes when they're outside and they're taken off before they come inside. Do they make Nike sneakers in doggy sizes?

I can be just as sarcastic as you if you want to go down that path...

I'm looking for some constructive conversation, so if you have nothing positive to add stay away.

Does your back door (or whichever door leads the backyard) go onto tiles or carpet into the house?

There is timber decking outside the door which leads straight onto 'brand new' carpet.

I dont know why people have a dog if theyre gonna keep it outside I carnt understand it at all.If its winter how much people contact does the dog get? Most people and that includes kids dont spend much time outside if the weathers not good and theres not many hours of daylight anyway.On a cold rainy day just whos gonna spend time with the dog in the yard?Plus dogs kept outside by themself always get so excited when anyone goes outside so if youve got young kids the dog will go nuts when then go out to play coz itll be so glad to see someone. Your yardll probably cop a battering as well coz a bored stafford left on his owns not a happy chappy.

We have a house that is tiled from top to bottom, so mud and dirt doesn't worry me, it's easy to get off. In previous houses we have restricted to dogs to the areas of hard surface like the timber floor, lino and tiled areas.

When it's raining I have a towel by the back door and I wipe their feet as they come in.

Does your back door (or whichever door leads the backyard) go onto tiles or carpet into the house?

There is timber decking outside the door which leads straight onto 'brand new' carpet.

So there's no capacity for having the door door go through the kitchen or laundry??

I'd suggest a piece of marine carpet or a anti dirt mat (Clark Rubber has plenty of types) on the outside of the dog door might keep the dirt off. I'd also add a mat on the carpet.