Outside Puppy

sluggo

Thanks for a non-judgmental and informative reply, much appreciated.

Didn't you wonder how much experience that poster had with SBTs Sluggo?

If a SBT breeder (make that two now) suggests that there may be an issue with your proposed plan, don't you think it should carry more weight than that of a novice dog owner who's never placed pups in homes and who doesn't own your proposed breed of choice? :rofl:

Or will you only thank those who tell you what you choose to hear? Oh well, if you are actually proposing to acquire your pup from a responsible registered breeder and not from some flybynighter who advertises in your local Trading Post, please don't be offended if you get refused a pup based on your proposed sleeping arrangements for it.

It may well happen.

Edited by poodlefan

Its down to personal choice and you try what you think is what you would like to do and see how it suits the puppy all puppies have there own personalities. In regards to him wondering off, it depends on the size of your back yard, fencing etc. If it is a rather basic medium sized yard he will have no problem finding his way back to bed.

To a point I agree with you jettyjet - how we keep our dogs is a matter of personal choice, however OP is wanting to buy a breed which seriously does not do well if separated from their family. If they were wanting a more independent dog then that's fine, but the breed they are interested in is a people breed and is not suited to being an outside dog for temperament reasons and because of the cold intolerance factors.

Would you consider an adult dog rather than a puppy? Have you had a read through the Staffordshire thread in Dog Breeds 101 on the forum- plenty of good information in there.

An adult Staffordshire Bull Terrier will be just as (if not more) miserable being consigned to the back yard than a puppy which never knows anything different.

If a SBT breeder (make that two now) suggests that there may be an issue with your proposed plan, don't you think it should carry more weight than that of a novice dog owner who's never placed pups in homes and who doesn't own your proposed breed of choice? :rofl:

Or will you only thank those who tell you what you choose to hear? Oh well, if you are actually proposing to acquire your pup from a responsible registered breeder and not from some flybynighter who advertises in your local Trading Post, please don't be offended if you get refused a pup based on your proposed sleeping arrangements for it.

It may well happen.

I do very much appreciate the advise from breeders, but i don't like to be shot down just because i don't want to share my bed with a dog. The fact that i'm on this forum asking questions should be proof enough that i have the animals well being in mind. We are still well and truly in the research stage, and won't commit to a SBT or any other breed for that matter until we are satisfied that we have all the right answers.

• Haha 1

I do very much appreciate the advise from breeders, but i don't like to be shot down just because i don't want to share my bed with a dog.

No one is expecting you to allow the dog to sleep on your bed so cut the dramatics :rofl: My dogs don't sleep on the bed, in fact they're probably the only Staffords in the world that aren't even allowed to sit on the sofa.

• Like 1

I do very much appreciate the advise from breeders, but i don't like to be shot down just because i don't want to share my bed with a dog. The fact that i'm on this forum asking questions should be proof enough that i have the animals well being in mind. We are still well and truly in the research stage, and won't commit to a SBT or any other breed for that matter until we are satisfied that we have all the right answers.

A dog can sleep inside, but doesn't have to be on anyone's bed. It can sleep in a basket or on a mat in a designated position or in a crate.

There are a number of very sound reasons why it's a very good idea for a dog to sleep inside regardless of its breed and the weather in the area. I hope your research covers those.

From the point of view of a family dog, there are some sound behavioural reasons why maximising the time the dog spends with the family (even sleeping) are wise. It's to do with the strength of the social bond between the dog and family members.

I do very much appreciate the advise from breeders, but i don't like to be shot down just because i don't want to share my bed with a dog.

No one is expecting you to allow the dog to sleep on your bed so cut the dramatics :rofl: My dogs don't sleep on the bed, in fact they're probably the only Staffords in the world that aren't even allowed to sit on the sofa.

Ok, i was being a little melodramatic :rofl:

The other issue i have is that my wife wanted to bring a fluffy cat into the house which was met by a firm "No" from myself, so i can't exactly turn up with a pup and pop him on the lounge room floor... not that i'd really want that anyway :rofl:

The other issue i have is that my wife wanted to bring a fluffy cat into the house which was met by a firm "No" from myself, so i can't exactly turn up with a pup and pop him on the lounge room floor... not that i'd really want that anyway :rofl:

You could try discussing it first. :rofl: Whatever breed you choose, hopefully it will be one that meets with the approval of the entire family.

SBTs are one of the first breeds I recommend for family dogs.

A responsibly bred, carefully raised SBT is an excellent pet for a family. However, they don't do well with significant periods of social isolation and the pounds are full of staffies that are surrendered for the behaviours that isolation brings - digging, barking, escaping etc.

Make sure you visit the Staffy thread in the Dog Breeds 101 Forum - lots of information and some good links there. :rofl:

The other issue i have is that my wife wanted to bring a fluffy cat into the house which was met by a firm "No" from myself,

Goodness me, it's lucky you're not married to someone like me :rofl: I hope you have your outside cat in a cat enclosure and don't allow it to wander into your neighbours' gardens.

I agree with the other posters, a Stafford is very much a family dog and not really suited to life outside excluded from his pack.

• Like 1

It may well happen.

Its down to personal choice and you try what you think is what you would like to do and see how it suits the puppy all puppies have there own personalities. In regards to him wondering off, it depends on the size of your back yard, fencing etc. If it is a rather basic medium sized yard he will have no problem finding his way back to bed.

To a point I agree with you jettyjet - how we keep our dogs is a matter of personal choice, however OP is wanting to buy a breed which seriously does not do well if separated from their family. If they were wanting a more independent dog then that's fine, but the breed they are interested in is a people breed and is not suited to being an outside dog for temperament reasons and because of the cold intolerance factors.

Just in a reply from the above. I have had no experience with a staffy my response was more for dogs in general and from my experience. Everyone has good points. I think maybe a bit more research into another breed by the sounds of everyone elses post is a good thing to do. My dogs are a smaller breed and are allowed inside a bit more when we are at home.

When I was around 12 we got our first dog for our farm (kelpie x) and I didn't want her sleeping outside because I was scared of it running off or getting attacked by foxes etc. We put her in the laundry at night and when she woke up and cried it was my job to comfort her back to sleep. Mum and dad wanted her to be outside from day dot as she was going to be a outside dog. I went away for a weekend and mum put her outside to sleep and we never heard her cry again.

She really enjoyed being outside.

Edited by glendabenda

When I was around 12 we got our first dog for our farm (kelpie x) and I didn't want her sleeping outside because I was scared of it running off or getting attacked by foxes etc. We put her in the laundry at night and when she woke up and cried it was my job to comfort her back to sleep. Mum and dad wanted her to be outside from day dot as she was going to be a outside dog. I went away for a weekend and mum put her outside to sleep and we never heard her cry again.

She really enjoyed being outside.

A mongrel Kelpie cross is not a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Different body, different temperament and different requirements.

If you want an outside dog maybe look at another breed that doesn't feel the cold/heat like the Stafford does. The Stafford has a short single coat and being all muscle with little body fat they don't have the insulation from weather extremes. It's easy enough to teach a dog to stay on it's mat inside if you don't want it having free run of the house. My two Staffords have free run of the house but the big dog who drops alot of hair has been taught to stay in the family room.

The other issue i have is that my wife wanted to bring a fluffy cat into the house which was met by a firm "No" from myself,

Goodness me, it's lucky you're not married to someone like me :rofl: I hope you have your outside cat in a cat enclosure and don't allow it to wander into your neighbours' gardens.

We don't have a cat

Goodness me, it's lucky you're not married to someone like me :happydance2: I hope you have your outside cat in a cat enclosure and don't allow it to wander into your neighbours' gardens.

We don't have a cat

Oh do forgive me I assumed from your post that the cat wasn't allowed in the house. Obviously what you actually meant is that you wouldn't allow your wife to keep the cat at all. My apologies :happydance2:

I agree a staffy isnt suited to your lifestyle.. dont get a staffy because it looks like a tough looking dog.. (not assuming you will but just incase your thinking a staffy makes a great family/guard dog you should really reconsider)

I have seen what staffy's can do when left outside without attention for long hours. Children also get bored quickly and walking a dog wont be fun, staffy's can pull like there is no tomorrow if not properly trained, and leaving children to walk a staffy unsupervised can lead to all kinds of trouble.. Staffys require alot of attention and will do anything for it, even if it means getting attention from a stranger who enters your yard.. They can be VERY destructive, its quite surprising how much a bored staffy can do.. I have seen my uncles staffy rip an esky to shreds, pull the palings off the fence and dig holes deep enough you could fall over if you stepped in one..

I would suggest you choose a breed that doesnt require too much excersise, with your children going to school, yourself and possibly your wife working, i wouldnt expect a staffy getting much excersise (they would need a daily walk).

I am well aware you want to do the best you can for an outside dog, but I think you should really choose a breed that can handle being an outside dog.. A staffy isnt one of them..a staffy NEEDS lots of attention, and it NEEDS to be with its people.. Its a very demanding breed for attention.. and being outside, it wont get that much attention.. Especially during the next winter..

Edited by kyliegirl

, in fact they're probably the only Staffords in the world that aren't even allowed to sit on the sofa.

How did you manage that?? :happydance2: Mine thinks it's her God given right to hog the sofa every night.

I agree with the other posters who say a Stafford won't do well outside. I'd call myself an experienced dog owner, previously owned by Saints and Rotties but nothing quite prepares you for a Stafford. They need a lot of attention, supervision and family interaction.

Your best bet is to buy a crate to keep indoors. I understand if you don't want a dog having free reign in your home, but a corner somewhere for them to be crated in the evenings with their family is a step in the right direction. :happydance2:

Personally, I like puppies to sleep with me for the first week or so. It's very scary and lonely for them to be removed from all they've ever known, Mum and litter mates, to shoved outside in the dark in a strange place, all alone.