Outside Puppy

sluggo

even tho my dog sleeps inside and is with the family most of the time dogs have lived outside for thousands of years and been fine.

i do think its eaiser to train a dog and teach it some manners when there in the house with the family and you can help them out with what is ok to do and what is not.

even tho my dog sleeps inside and is with the family most of the time dogs have lived outside for thousands of years and been fine.

i do think its eaiser to train a dog and teach it some manners when there in the house with the family and you can help them out with what is ok to do and what is not.

We had a staffy when i was a kid, she slept outside and was an only dog, she hated being on her own and my mom eventually gave her to my uncle where she slept inside on his bed and had another dog for company, she was much happier and lived to 16 years old.

I agree a staffy isnt suited to your lifestyle.. dont get a staffy because it looks like a tough looking dog.. (not assuming you will but just incase your thinking a staffy makes a great family/guard dog you should really reconsider)

we'd never buy a dog purely based on looks!

Children also get bored quickly and walking a dog wont be fun, staffy's can pull like there is no tomorrow if not properly trained, and leaving children to walk a staffy unsupervised can lead to all kinds of trouble..

i never suggested that my kids would walk the dog unsupervised. what sort of mug do you take me for?

I would suggest you choose a breed that doesnt require too much excersise, with your children going to school, yourself and possibly your wife working, i wouldnt expect a staffy getting much excersise (they would need a daily walk).

Once again if you took the time to read my posts properly you would realise that the dog would be walked to and from school. That's a one hour daily walk in itself in addition to playing in the yard with the kids.

Sorry, I just don't understand people that want to get a dog and keep it outside :laugh: I know we all have different ideas, but why get a dog at all if it has to be seperated from it's pack.

Like others have said,they don't have to sleep on your bed if you're not happy,just a little corner next to it will do :rolleyes:

You say you want your kids to grow up with a dog, but are you considering the dogs best interest first? there's no point getting a dog just for your childrens entertainment if it's going to be bored and miserable locked outside.

I grew up with an american pitbull and a stafford together and both of them never wanted to leave the family's side, they would cry, scratch at the door & destroy their beds if left outside on their own. Staffords are the biggest sooks and need to feel wanted, you don't know what your in for if your dog gets bored and starts to destroy everything.

Not to mention pound fees if he/she escapes.

:rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents worth.

Staffies + being kept outdoors = no way!! I bought my GSD as they are loyal, human loving dogs as well, and I knew I wanted her inside as much as possible. A GSD kept outside 24/7 is a recipe for disaster as well. I want her around me as much as I can, I want her to feel a part of the pack. Hence why I got a dog!!

Whatever breed you choose, if it's kept outside you yourself will need to spend a lot of quality time outside (in the cold!) to give it company and make it feel part of the pack. As long as you do that, it may work, personally I would hate having to spend so much time outside (Im a wuss with the cold, brrr), so I have my dog as an indoor dog to make it much easier to keep her stable and happy and a part of our family (pack).

I am one of those people who is all for having dogs as indoor dogs, or at least partially indoor dogs, the thought of having a dog as an outside dog only is something I can't understand, but have come to sort of accept after seeing there are a number of people on this forum who do it. It always raises the same question with me "Why get a dog if its outside all the time!? No one has really answered this properly for me yet, but everyone does what they want to do, and we all have different opinions.

At least get a breed that is not super human clingy, a staffy is about the worst choice, or if you still go with the staffy, give it a dog door so it has indoor access as well, it will benefit you and the dog :rolleyes:

Especially considering the Stafford was originally bred to live indoors and was considered more a part of the family (as a major breadwinner) than the kids were! :rolleyes:

A History of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier

The Stafford like most dogs is a hybrid, developed in the eighteenth century to satisfy the so called 'sporting' pastime of dog fighting. Staffords were breed from Bulldogs and Terriers, many different crosses were made in an attempt to develop a game, tenacious and intelligent fighting dog.

Bulldogs had been used for baiting sports for hundreds of years but baiting sports were outlawed in 1877. Although baiting continued in some areas for many years eventually, what with the pressures bought to bear by animal rights campaigners such as the RSPCA, these bloody and gruesome pastimes died off.

Bulldogs and Terriers were used by 'Sportsman' of the time who looked to other forms of sport/entertainment and so it came that the Bull and Terrier, the Pit Dog, breed by black country steelworkers and miners specifically for the purpose of Dog fighting was born.

sorry but im sure they were not originally bred to be indoor family pets

Edited by APBT

:rolleyes: gotta love it when someone trots out the old " dogs have lived outdoors for thousands of years " arguement, which has no relevance to the Stafford and living outside what so ever.

it is relevent, becasue in those thouands of years, mabey just mabey a staffy has lived outdoors and been fine.

each to their own

Especially considering the Stafford was originally bred to live indoors and was considered more a part of the family (as a major breadwinner) than the kids were! :rolleyes:

The Stafford like most dogs is a hybrid, developed in the eighteenth century to satisfy the so called 'sporting' pastime of dog fighting. Staffords were breed from Bulldogs and Terriers, many different crosses were made in an attempt to develop a game, tenacious and intelligent fighting dog.

Bulldogs had been used for baiting sports for hundreds of years but baiting sports were outlawed in 1877. Although baiting continued in some areas for many years eventually, what with the pressures bought to bear by animal rights campaigners such as the RSPCA, these bloody and gruesome pastimes died off.

Bulldogs and Terriers were used by 'Sportsman' of the time who looked to other forms of sport/entertainment and so it came that the Bull and Terrier, the Pit Dog, breed by black country steelworkers and miners specifically for the purpose of Dog fighting was born.

The SBT was highly prized and as Ellz said , they did infact live in the home and the reputuation of the "nanny dog" was not something that came about as a result of living in the back yard.

As the blood sports became more frowned upon and eventually illegal, the SBT survived because of it's affinity with the children and it's family orientation.

The SBT was highly prized and as Ellz said , they did infact live in the home and the reputuation of the "nanny dog" was not something that came about as a result of living in the back yard.

As the blood sports became more frowned upon and eventually illegal, the SBT survived because of it's affinity with the children and it's family orientation.

yes, but they were not originally bred to be kept indoors.

later in there life yes no doubt about it. jsut not originally

My thoughts are that I cannot see the point of getting a dog and keeping it outside 100% of the time.

People will say that there will be "plenty of interaction" but let's be honest here, when it is p---ing down like it did in Sydney the other week, how many hours will you be spending outside? Probably zero, or like me just a few minutes whilst I pick up the poop.

Few people are prepared to walk in the rain so the dog goes without exercise - for any outside dog, this is just pure misery. And in Sydney, it can rain for weeks at a time but to a dog, even one day with no company feels like a lifetime.

Just plain wrong in my view.

It's a personal choice and should be respected accordingly.

Why? And what about the choice the dog would make?

I totally agree with dogmad. Why get a dog at all if it is left outside ---- whatever the season. In fact, it makes me feel quite ill thinking of how lonely and miserable that little dog will be.

yes, but they were not originally bred to be kept indoors. later in there life yes no doubt about it. jsut not originally

Neither were humans. I don't think many of us would survive being left outside these days. What happened originally has really no relevance to today in terms of our ability or otherwise to live outside.

Edited by _Cynthia_

My thoughts are that I cannot see the point of getting a dog and keeping it outside 100% of the time.

People will say that there will be "plenty of interaction" but let's be honest here, when it is p---ing down like it did in Sydney the other week, how many hours will you be spending outside? Probably zero, or like me just a few minutes whilst I pick up the poop.

Few people are prepared to walk in the rain so the dog goes without exercise - for any outside dog, this is just pure misery. And in Sydney, it can rain for weeks at a time but to a dog, even one day with no company feels like a lifetime.

Just plain wrong in my view.

Mmm totally agree, thats my point, who will seriously spend enough quality time outdoors with their dog when its cold especially? Do you sit on the sofa with the tV out there? Play tug for 10 minutes, do some training, pick up poop, then what.. generally people end up relaxing indoors of an evening, sitting on the computer, watching tv, reading, none of that stuff is outside stuff that takes up several hours

I guess I don't understand either, but some must do it successfully!?

Here's a few more things to think about in a family situation and a puppy left in the back yard.

Is the back yard going to be shared by the puppy and the kids ? Or will the yard be the dogs domain ?

Will the kids be prepared to pick up every toy each time they leave the yard ? Toys will without a doubt be destroyed if left in the yard

How will you calm the excited puppy ?

Is an adult prepared to go out into the yard every time a child does, in order to supervise the interaction and make sure that both the puppy and the children behave appropriately ?

Are you prepared for a puppy that will jump and in all probability nip at the children while learning which behaviours that are not acceptable?

What will the puppy do when it rains for a week non stop/ is freezing cold/ stinking hot and the kids are not interested in going out in the yard ?

It's very easy for children to become fearfull of a full on and excited puppy, they also become angry , sad and resentfull after a few of their toys have been destroyed.

A puppy that grows up in the house and is surrounded by the kids , is less likely to become over stimulated. It's easier to set the boundaries and enforce the rules for both kids and puppy when they are right there under your nose.

It's a personal choice and should be respected accordingly.

Why? And what about the choice the dog would make?

For the same reason i couldn't convince you to buy a red car if you wanted a blue car.

I will reiterate one last time... we have not made ANY decisions thus far, so you can all rest easy tonight!

Here's a few more things to think about in a family situation and a puppy left in the back yard.

Is the back yard going to be shared by the puppy and the kids ? Or will the yard be the dogs domain ?

Will the kids be prepared to pick up every toy each time they leave the yard ? Toys will without a doubt be destroyed if left in the yard

How will you calm the excited puppy ?

Is an adult prepared to go out into the yard every time a child does, in order to supervise the interaction and make sure that both the puppy and the children behave appropriately ?

Are you prepared for a puppy that will jump and in all probability nip at the children while learning which behaviours that are not acceptable?

What will the puppy do when it rains for a week non stop/ is freezing cold/ stinking hot and the kids are not interested in going out in the yard ?

It's very easy for children to become fearfull of a full on and excited puppy, they also become angry , sad and resentfull after a few of their toys have been destroyed.

A puppy that grows up in the house and is surrounded by the kids , is less likely to become over stimulated. It's easier to set the boundaries and enforce the rules for both kids and puppy when they are right there under your nose.

I have no doubt that an inside puppy is a happy puppy, and i respect people's decision to keep pets inside their homes. As a kid i grew up with dogs which were all happily kept outside, so it's hard to break the habit. Perhaps in time our thoughts will change, we discuss it as a family every night. I just wish people on this forum weren't so judgmental without knowing ALL the facts.

It's only hard to accept because dogs are companion animals. Meaning company, meaning indoors where the family is most of the time. Sure, a dog may get used to being outdoors, and 'seem' happy, but is that truely what they would want?

That's all *shrug* Unless you move the couch and computer and TV outside and spend hours out there with doggy, I am yet to be convinced about this whole outdoor thing.

Good luck in whatever u wish to do though, we are all different in our upbringing and decisions