Outside Puppy

sluggo

i have a english staffy in summer she likes to sleep outside at night but as soon as it gets cold come autumn she is inside every night, they are very much a family orientated dog and love nothing more then to be part of the family plus they dont have a thick coat , we had thick layer of ice on our cars this morning i cant even imagine leaving her outside at night even in kennel it wouldnt be warm enough, plus she likes to destroy her blankets when they are outside .

It's a personal choice and should be respected accordingly.

Why? And what about the choice the dog would make?

For the same reason i couldn't convince you to buy a red car if you wanted a blue car.

I will reiterate one last time... we have not made ANY decisions thus far, so you can all rest easy tonight!

Ummmmm - don't think cars have feelings.

Just reading through this thread tonight...it's no wonder pet buyers resort to BYB and Pet Shops.

If I was the OP i would feel belittled, berated and ignorant. Just for asking a question for research.

There's nothing wrong with the facts most people have put forward, but the delivery is often condescending so your information falls on deaf ears.

My opinion is: dogs ranging from Maltese to Great Danes live outside as pets and in Show Kennel situations. They live outside in units, houses, farms, mountains and beaches. Over 35yrs in the dog world and pet industry, I have seen this.

Do with your pet whatever you want, just look after it.

Do I do it? ... no. All mine sleep inside.

Also to the person who ridiculed the term "staffy"... When did it become correct to only call them "staffords"? I've only been hearing this term the last few years. Growing up going to dog shows they were always called "staffy". Just asking for my own interest. Once again, had you not been condescending about this issue, you could have corrected the OP and explained why they are "staffords", not belittled them. Thank you.

Unfortunately u are not going to like this post either but, sounds like u really need to discuss this with your wife...as seems a bit like u cant do this....so i am not going to let u do this. You dont seem like u are on the same page.

Doesnt sounds like a great atmosphere for a dog.

Hope u consider this before purchasing any animal for your family.

There are alot of really informed people on the forum giving advice who own the breed and are only trying to help u, may be u need to consider that a SBT is not the breed for u or your family.

Edited by lilyandjazz

There are alot of really informed people on the forum giving advice who own the breed and are only trying to help u, may be u need to consider that a SBT is not the breed for u or your family.

I wholeheartedly agree! But i just cannot see why on this and so many other threads, posters cannot write without being rude and treating people like they are ignorant. Just simply and politely put your expertise across, no need to belt them over the head with your encyclopedia. They WANT to know from an expert.

It's amazing that when you call rude people 'rude', they call you a sook. If expecting manners makes me a sook, then buy me some tissues.

Also to the person who ridiculed the term "staffy"... When did it become correct to only call them "staffords"? I've only been hearing this term the last few years. Growing up going to dog shows they were always called "staffy". Just asking for my own interest. Once again, had you not been condescending about this issue, you could have corrected the OP and explained why they are "staffords", not belittled them. Thank you.

i missed that comment, its ok OP, they will always been known to me and thousands of other people as "Staffy" :rolleyes:

I agree you cannot get a dog and not let it inside at all, it wont feel at all part of the family. I wouldnt make my cat sleep outside either...

You're right.

Don't get a cat or a dog!

Cats & dogs are family. If you can't agree on a cat, don't get a dog.

But i just cannot see why on this and so many other threads, posters cannot write without being rude and treating people like they are ignorant. Just simply and politely put your expertise across, no need to belt them over the head with your encyclopedia. They WANT to know from an expert.

It's amazing that when you call rude people 'rude', they call you a sook. If expecting manners makes me a sook, then buy me some tissues.

Here Here!

BTW, what the heck is an 'OP'?

But i just cannot see why on this and so many other threads, posters cannot write without being rude and treating people like they are ignorant. Just simply and politely put your expertise across, no need to belt them over the head with your encyclopedia. They WANT to know from an expert.

Here Here!

BTW, what the heck is an 'OP'?

OP = Original Poster.. that's you Sluggo!! :hug:

Just reading through this thread tonight...it's no wonder pet buyers resort to BYB and Pet Shops.

If I was the OP i would feel belittled, berated and ignorant. Just for asking a question for research.

There's nothing wrong with the facts most people have put forward, but the delivery is often condescending so your information falls on deaf ears.

My opinion is: dogs ranging from Maltese to Great Danes live outside as pets and in Show Kennel situations. They live outside in units, houses, farms, mountains and beaches. Over 35yrs in the dog world and pet industry, I have seen this.

Do with your pet whatever you want, just look after it.

Do I do it? ... no. All mine sleep inside.

ditto

redarachnid - no idea if I'm the person you're referring to or not, but I've re-read the entire thread and I'm the only one who has questioned the OP's use of the term "staffy" so I'll answer anyway.

OP says they're thinking about buying a "staffy" I gave them my opinion and noted that I was making the assumption they were referring to the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Simple question - they could have been referring to the American Staffordshire Terrier since some people call both breeds "staffy" - and a huge number of cross bred mutts get called "staffys" too - I merely enquired what the OP was actually talking about.

I grew up at dog shows too - in the breed. It definitely isn't the done thing by long term people in the breed to refer to the SBT as a "Staffy" and not so long ago anyone who did was sternly corrected and told to use the term Stafford or Staffs. I can't comment on what people outside the breed call it - afterall people not involved with the GSD have been known to call them Alsatians, and ACDs are frequently referred to as "heelers", but not by any breed enthusiast I know.

It wasn't until the explosion of the BYB that the term Staffy became commonly used inside the breed (and it is still not used by any "old timer" I know).

There is a certain amount of credence for the idea that the Stafford is the registered dog, a "Staffy" is mutt and/or a rescue dog which may or may not be a purebred dog.

Edited by Sandra777

I'd never ever sell a puppy to a home where it was to be an outside dog only, that's MY choice as a breeder and I know many others who share that view.

The people who have made comments not to your liking in this thread really only want the best for the breed, numerous Stafford breeders have stated they aren't suitable for 100% outdoor living - why disagree with someone who could (have) potentially sell you a puppy? They raise them, live with them and know the breed inside out...

Take some time to think about why you really want a dog, if it's just because you want a dog and the kids should grow up with one maybe consider some rabbits or something else to be raised outside...

Edited by Aziah

I'll happily put my hand up... "staffy" is the common name given to a brindle dog that could be anything.

I don't own or breed " staffy's" , I have Staffords or Staffordshire Bull Terriers and like many other registered breeders, we only sell to those homes who will raise the puppy alongside the family and that does mean in the house.

We are also prepared to hang onto pups until the " right" home comes along.

I'll happily put my hand up... "staffy" is the common name given to a brindle dog that could be anything.

I don't own or breed " staffy's" , I have Staffords or Staffordshire Bull Terriers and like many other registered breeders, we only sell to those homes who will raise the puppy alongside the family and that does mean in the house.

We are also prepared to hang onto pups until the " right" home comes along.

:hug:

I do very much appreciate the advise from breeders, but i don't like to be shot down just because i don't want to share my bed with a dog.

No one is expecting you to allow the dog to sleep on your bed so cut the dramatics :hug: My dogs don't sleep on the bed, in fact they're probably the only Staffords in the world that aren't even allowed to sit on the sofa.

and I thought mine was the only one! No stafford on the couch in this house. No beds either.

Mind you it usually means that we are on the floor with him :cry:

I cant imagine having him outside. He is my shadow that follows me everywhere. Im no expert but all the staffords I have met just want to be near their family.

sluggo, do not get to offended by other peoples opinions. they can be very judge mental and fire at you if you do something they would never do. They pamper there pets alot more, there is nothing wrong with that but they have no right saying some of the things they have.

There is no problem with sleeping a dog outside. Some dogs will like it some won't. Its your dog, your choice.

sluggo, do not get to offended by other peoples opinions. they can be very judge mental and fire at you if you do something they would never do. They pamper there pets alot more, there is nothing wrong with that but they have no right saying some of the things they have.

There is no problem with sleeping a dog outside. Some dogs will like it some won't. Its your dog, your choice.

And a Staffordshire Bull Terrier is one of the ones that won't.

Would you stick it outside anyway and let it deal with it? It's just a dog right. Much the same as the family car hey.