Zydex/cartrophen Intervals

Hi all,

My dog has been getting Catrophen shots for about 2 yrs now. Originally it was 1 shot per week for 4 weeks then 1 shot every 3-6 months but at my recent visit we were told its been proven better to get the 1 shot every week for 4 weeks cycle, every 3-6 months. Is this the case?

Also The vet is now using Zydax which is about $10 dearer than the Cartophen that was used at the start. Im also being charged for a consult on the first and last Visits so when you add it up its becoming quite a hefty bill.

Is it possible to get this stuff and do it yourself?

Hi all,

My dog has been getting Catrophen shots for about 2 yrs now. Originally it was 1 shot per week for 4 weeks then 1 shot every 3-6 months but at my recent visit we were told its been proven better to get the 1 shot every week for 4 weeks cycle, every 3-6 months. Is this the case?

Also The vet is now using Zydax which is about $10 dearer than the Cartophen that was used at the start. Im also being charged for a consult on the first and last Visits so when you add it up its becoming quite a hefty bill.

Is it possible to get this stuff and do it yourself?

I guess if you can find where to buy it from you can do it yourself. I injected my girl myself but the vet had already put it in syringes for me. Also make sure you get the real fine needles. The last ones she gave me were thicker and it hurt which made her jump around and was so hard to do it myself. Whereas she doesn't feel the finer ones.

I was just told to give it to them every week for 4 weeks every year.

Guest Willow

It's a prescription-only drug, so you need to go to the vets to get it. Perhaps if they know you well they could give you the whole course in one go to give at home (in four seperate syringes, which you would need to keep in the fridge), after the vet has seen you for an initial consultation, so you would save on an injection fee each week you go in? It's not the drug that's the expensive part, it's the dispensing & injecting fees.

My boy is on Pentosan (same type of drug) and we were advised to do the four weekly injections every 6 or 12 months, depending on progress.

It is expensive, but after two years of trial & error, it really is the only thing that works for him.

I would caution against buying it yourself...it's illegal to buy prescription drugs without a script :hug:

It's a prescription-only drug, so you need to go to the vets to get it. Perhaps if they know you well they could give you the whole course in one go to give at home (in four seperate syringes, which you would need to keep in the fridge), after the vet has seen you for an initial consultation, so you would save on an injection fee each week you go in? It's not the drug that's the expensive part, it's the dispensing & injecting fees.

My boy is on Pentosan (same type of drug) and we were advised to do the four weekly injections every 6 or 12 months, depending on progress.

It is expensive, but after two years of trial & error, it really is the only thing that works for him.

I would caution against buying it yourself...it's illegal to buy prescription drugs without a script :(

My dogs vet said it didn't need to be kept in the fridge. Just to store it in the cupboard.

My old dog and cat are on it monthly for the rest of their lives. My Vet is happy to label a vial up and dispense it will needles etc. I did work for them up until I had my kids though. I always bring them home and inject them myself anyway.

My vet has said it needs to be refridgerated.

I always refigerate mine but take it out before I inject it, as she squirms a bit if it's cold. The vet sold me the syringes, needles and vial of Cartophen and my friend who is a nurse does the injection :p

I give 1 x 4 weekly course every 3 months

I got charged a revisit (been going in alot lately!) then one 0.8ml of Cartophen was $17.30. I then, was going in and getting an injection and bringing it home so I guess would be the same. If I buy a vial it was a round $100 for a 10 ml vial, then probably $10 or so dollars for needles and syringes. If I buy it in bulk, I also don't have to remember to ring up and get it made up, then remember to pick it up before it is required.

You usually get charged a dispensing/injection fee each time you get something dispensed or go in for a booster cartrophen, so each month if I was getting it needle by needle. If I buy the vial I get charged one dispensing fee. I think my vet charges around the $10 to $11 mark for a dispensing/injection fee.

Pentosan Polysulfate needs to be stored in the fridge!!

It is an S4, so it needs to be administered by a vet, and can only be purchased by a vet through an ethical wholesaler.

Zydax and Cartrophen are more expensive to buy, I know that Pentosan 100 is in a bigger bottle (20ml) and works out to a lot more cost effective!! (Which is what we use :D )

The vets I work for, charge per ml, plus an injection fee for each needle, and an initial consult fee for the first injection (if it's being diagnosed there)

So for Mum's Labrador, it's approx $30 an injection.

Also, the product is registered for once a week injections for 4 weeks on a 12 monthly basis. There is no scientific studies to state that doing a course every 3 - 6 months is beneficial, it's all just trial and error at this stage.

Edited by Sam_Lab

I dont mind if its every 3 or 6 months, its just that its gone from 1 shot at $26 to $38 and a $57 consult for the first of the 4 shots and a $36 on the last of the shots. the 2 in the middle get done by the nurse/secretary so no consult fee but that means its gone from costing $104 for 4 shots to $245. Im thinking of changing vets to be honest.

I guess it depends on the severity of a dogs joint problems as to how often a dog needs a Zydax/Cartrophen course.

The two example that I have with rescues are:

- 4 weekly injections every 6 months for a 15 month old that has had extensive orthopedic surgery but as yet has not had any arthritis set in.

- 4 weekly injections every 12 months for a 5 year old with a grade 1 to 2 luxating patella that has a slight change in the joint.

Vet charged $19.16 for Zydax yesterday. Another vet charged $14 for cartrophen last month. Both only charge for the injections not a consult fee.