Dark Red At Base Of Nail

Has anyone else noticed a dark red colour at the base of a few of there dogs nails, like internal bleeding of the nail mabey,

its not the quick its right at the base and goes bout 1/4 way up the nail of a few of them.

I think this is normal. My baby has it too and so does my mums dogs. Because they have white nails i think it stands out. Whereas my mums has one dog with black nails so you cannot see if it is the same.

If it's on white nails, it may be the quick inside.

ETA: Oh, so it's not the quick?? Is it underneath or inside?

its inside the nail, il try and find a pic, ive heard the dogs saliva can casue it, some chemical reaction when they lick there feet

If it's like a red staining around the nail where they've been licking - you can try adding Apple Cider Vinegar to their drinking water. It is a PH balancer. Red staining from saliva (and tears) can be a sign of an overly acid system.

If it's on white nails, it may be the quick inside.

ETA: Oh, so it's not the quick?? Is it underneath or inside?

its inside the nail, il try and find a pic, ive heard the dogs saliva can casue it, some chemical reaction when they lick there feet

It's most likely to be the quick you are seeing if it is inside the white nail. Which is perfectly normal.

If it's like a red staining around the nail where they've been licking - you can try adding Apple Cider Vinegar to their drinking water. It is a PH balancer. Red staining from saliva (and tears) can be a sign of an overly acid system.

Hi Nattylou, do you just add a teaspoon or so for every couple of litres or is there a specific dilution rate you use?

If it's red staining on the outside (you may be able to scrape and see if you can get it to move - sometimes it wont though). It's probably where your dog has yeast overgrowth on the feet (often caused by damp between toes): it will "grow out" on the nail if they are no longer having yeast issues, so you can see it on the middle of the nail, as opposed to base.

My guys get it with their allergies. Lamisil works well. Look in between the toes (top and bottom) for redness too.

Edited by zayda_asher

Hi Nattylou, do you just add a teaspoon or so for every couple of litres or is there a specific dilution rate you use?

Hey SSM. :o Umm. I just add a little bit to water bowls, as long as it's not too strong. Between a teaspoon and a dessertspoon a day is a good amount for a dog about your size anyway. Also particularly good for pregnant bitches as it is a ready source of potassium which in correct balance plays a huge part in reducing dyscotia (birth difficulties). Potassium also relieves muscle cramps and spasms.