Whippet

Troy

Thank you Haredown. I assure you the only reason any dog I get wont be sleeping in my bed is everyone says its a bad idea. Having a dog that want to be always with its humans is one of the reasons Ive been looking at them. I could never exile a dog outside, I dont see a point in getting one then.

"Everyone" clearly isn't a Whippet owner.... its a very common thing with Whippets. :)

Although my Whippets prefer IN the bed to on it. ;)

Edited by Haredown

Mine both love their crate, we have a massive one that a friend gave us- it was an old show crate used for Setters (65 cm wide x 80 cm high x 105cm long). It's tall enough so that they can stand easily, and long and wide enough so they can turn around. Mine will happily spend all day in their "cubby" if it's cold, and they sleep in their crate overnight all year round. We cover our crate with old blankets so the warmth stays in, and they have several layers of blankets inside the crate too. (It's in our garage attached to the house.) If it's really cold, they will have their coats on in the crate, but they both love wearing coats any time! I only began crating when I got my 2 year old, I wish I'd known about crating with my now 5 year old, but he adapted very quickly. Mine would both sleep in our bed, under the covers if allowed, but it's only allowed occasionally, like if one of them is a bit unwell, or I'm totally miserable, or I'm in the house alone. A lot of Whippets can manipulate a quilt to climb under it, and can wrap themselves in a blanket too- it's a bit of an art, and both my girls (current and past)have mastered this, but my boy hasn't. I'd have to say the main problem with Whippets in your bed is that they can stretch out and take over the bed, they start off Ok, and then you'll notice the front legs being stretched out and there's a really uncomfortable feeling usually in the small of your back, that or you roll over and find yourself face to face with a cold wet nose.

thanks guys - he is just over 2yo - waiting,....waiting,.....waiting.....

Mine both got heaps better around the 2 yr mark...not perfect... my shoes are missing as we speak, but by 3 my boy was fine, and my girl gets better every day...it's mainly tissues she kills, she just moves the shoes around the house.

We have two whippets crated, with plush cushion and mink blankie, in the lounge at night. They are currently in separate crates 'intermediate size', may put them in together over winter (first winter with us for both the 4mth old and miss nearly 2yrs). Our 6yr old whippet and bitza sleep on raised beds with cushions and doonas in the garage (I put fake turf down on the concrete so it isn't too cool on paws). When it drops below 10C at night I put a thick whippet wear jacket on the garaged girl, and a light one on the ones indoors. Crates are covered with thick blankets when it cools down, and thin sheets in summer, we leave the front open otherwise we get howled to sleep.

We only let the dogs up on the bed when wanting to sleep in. We get up at 6am to let them all out to toilet, then all pile into bed! This only happens on a weekend, if at all and usually only lasts an hour or so before either a sharp blow to the lower back or we get turfed by stretching whippets and we realise the humans are getting no sleep anyway!

• 1 month later...

Hello again Everyone,

Getting a dog is getting closer so I’m wondering where everyone got their whippets? How old they are? And if you have ever had any medical problems with them? And if you would use the same people again if you decide to get another whippet? Especially if you live in NSW.

There are some great sites for different kennels but none have references from past adopters or talk about how the puppies are raised.

Thank you for any help or advice in advanced. :D

My Whippets came from Argowan and I cannot say enough good things about the quality of the animals, the way they are raised or their good health. I'd go there again and again.

Sessy is the love of my life. Keep me warm at night, loves to follow me around. Her temperament is very stable, nothing much worries her and she has been a breeze to train. She will recall from anywhere , with any distraction.

None of the dogs I have raised have been fence jumpers, but I recently had a foster bitch that could clear and climb any fence you put infront of her. Sadly she was PTS because of this behaviour.

post-4363-0-49770700-1335781576_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Sorry to bother everyone again, I’m trying to convince my house mate that a whippet is better for us then a poodle. I love poodles but I’ve already had two and I wanted to try something different and a whippet seemed perfect.

What it keeps coming down to is shedding. I wanted to know exactly how much shedding they do? When my poodles got older I might have found between 5 and 10 hairs a week. Can you tell where they have slept thanks to the hair they leave behind like my Nan and Pop’s Jack Russell? Can people tell you have a dog by your clothes?

Thank you everyone, I would love any feedback you can give me :D

Mine shed a little between coat changes but I just go over them from time to time with a Zoom Groom and that takes care of that. I have leather lounges so not sure about fabric ones but we never notice hairs around the place.

I do notice them if they are shedding and I am wearing dark clothes and they are laying on me but that is about it.

Hey,

Sorry to bother everyone again, I’m trying to convince my house mate that a whippet is better for us then a poodle. I love poodles but I’ve already had two and I wanted to try something different and a whippet seemed perfect.

What it keeps coming down to is shedding. I wanted to know exactly how much shedding they do? When my poodles got older I might have found between 5 and 10 hairs a week. Can you tell where they have slept thanks to the hair they leave behind like my Nan and Pop’s Jack Russell? Can people tell you have a dog by your clothes?

Thank you everyone, I would love any feedback you can give me :D

Sorry, didn't spot this.

I have Poodles and Whippets. No, I don't notice dog hair after they've slept but I have hard floors and I do notice a little hair on those. They are close coated but they shed a little. I gather it's pretty low compared to JRTs though.

They are pretty different temperament wise to the poodles - less velcro, more independent but I am not the only person I know with the two breeds and it's not a huge leap between them - both are lovely companions albeit the Whippet prey drive and speed offlead need more management.

May i ask ,in regard to prey drive,would this vary much between individuals.Can you get an idea of the level of prey drive in a young pup.?

How are Whippets with young children around 5 years old ;would they chase and play nip them.?;Can they be easily trained not to do this.?

Would a Whippet be similar in activity level or require similar exercise as for example an Irish Terrier...Thankyou.

May i ask ,in regard to prey drive,would this vary much between individuals.Can you get an idea of the level of prey drive in a young pup.?

How are Whippets with young children around 5 years old ;would they chase and play nip them.?;Can they be easily trained not to do this.?

Would a Whippet be similar in activity level or require similar exercise as for example an Irish Terrier...Thankyou.

Yes, it varies between individuals. Pups would be interested in chasing things that move. Yes, training would help - for both children and pup. if not supervised, I'd expect some chasing and nipping if the kids ran - but you know what? I'd expect that from almost any pup.

I think with supervision and some education of the children, Whippets make excellent family pets. They don't tend to knock kids around as much as some of the more "traditional" family breeds can do as youngters. I know quite a few Whippet owners with young kids (including Pav Lova) and it can certainly work well given a bit of effort. I think they are a largely undiscovered gem in the family pet context.

Expect the pup and children to want to share a bed though!!! :laugh:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I think they are fantastic with kids, they are energetic when the kids want them to be and naturally a Whippet loves laying around on the lounge or bed and mine happily keeps my kid company to watch movies.

As far as the shedding goes, I have white hair on everything

ETA: I've not had any of mine chase as nip as pups, mine have had a 6th sense when it comes to the kids. It's not to say some won't but my experience has been very good with them.

post-4363-0-08621300-1337418389_thumb.jpg

post-4363-0-37483200-1337418415_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pav Lova

I got my first pup with a 5 month old and a two year old. I think the kids have been knocked over a total of two times, and only a bump on their bum, certainly not sent flying.

Whippets are essentially lazy. They like a good lung opener then go and hold down the lounge or bed for the rest of the day. They tend to mature reasonably quickly so are not silly puppies for a long time. Mine have never chased or nipped my kids or nipped anything. They have tried to chase the cats as very young pups, but training is started immediately in that regard so these days it is the young cat chasing them leaping Ninja kitty style!

I think they are fantastic around young children and I found the kids needed more training than the dogs!

As for the shedding they do shed a bit, nowhere near as much as a JR. I give mine a good going over with a Zoom Groom especially when they are shedding and rarely find stray hairs around the house.

Edited by OSoSwift

• 1 month later...

Well, I’ve finally convinced my housemate that a whippet is a great idea :thumbsup: and now I’m getting everything organised. I wanted to know what type of bed and size everyone’s whippet’s use. Also if they are crate trained, crates take up a lot of room and I’m wondering if I make room or if I should just get a bed.

I don’t know anyone who has a whippet and you all have been such a great help, thank you. :D

Well, I’ve finally convinced my housemate that a whippet is a great idea :thumbsup: and now I’m getting everything organised. I wanted to know what type of bed and size everyone’s whippet’s use. Also if they are crate trained, crates take up a lot of room and I’m wondering if I make room or if I should just get a bed.

I don’t know anyone who has a whippet and you all have been such a great help, thank you. :D

Beard Chiropractic Medium Support. Queen sized. (my bed) :laugh:

Otherwise they like soft baskets or your lounge!

I would crate train a pup. There's no reason they have to sleep in a crate long term but it is helpful if they are comfortable in a crate and a godsend for toilet training.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I'm extremely close to entering the world of Whippet! My question is; what sex do I choose? Majority of my dog experience has been with females but I have heard that male whippets make better pets? What are your personal opinions? is there a huge difference between sexes? I plan to desex ASAP.

Thanks!

Edited by Dessie

We have both, and I love both! Though our boy is a goof, very easy going. One of our girls is a bit anxious and the other is bomb proof! I think it is up to you what you prefer! And also how well the pups have been brought up prior to going to your place. I find those raised in the house or under foot are more cruisy than those raised out in kennels!