Whippet

Troy

Thank you for the responses lovely people :)

I have my heart set on a female but questioned my choice when told the males make better pets. Are they both as easy to train and recall? Are females really THAT moody? (I've heard this before...)

Thanks again!

I have both.

My male is velcro, he could be annoying to some people because he is always one step behind. My female is very smoocy and loves to be around you but doesn't feel the need to get off the lounge and follow after you are two steps away.

I train both of mine and they are both very good, they have their individual strengths and weaknesses. I usually say Lewis would get inside my skin if he could Rommi is happy to lay on it.

Both are calm and easy going, Rommi can be a moody bitch and occassionally makes sure Lewis knows she is boss. If she was desexed I don't think that would be as much of an issue as it happens around her seasons.

I have always been a female dog person until now. With a Whippet I would happily have either. Oh and both are very well trained and have excellent recalls, that has nothign to do with sex, but with training. They are a fantastic dog to live with

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again everyone,

I'm in the process of preparing my home for the new addition (i've been told I'm nesting haha!) My question now is fencing. I have 5ft metal fencing and have just 'raised' the height to 6ft by placing bamboo screening in front. Is this tall enough to deter a whippet from jumping the fence? Do your whippets jump this high? I really want to make sure I'm providing the best environment whilst I'm at work etc. Any other tips regarding a large courtyard would be greatly appreciated :) I'm also keen to crate train (mainly for the dogs benefit and initially to assist with toilet training) so if anyone can recommend the best size that would be great.

Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would give a quick update if anyone visited this thread looking for hope that destructive, nutso whippets ever settle

Yes they do :laugh:

I asked the question earlier this year as my brother has/had the most exuberant, destructive, over the top dog you could imagine, and I wanted to know if there was any chance he would calm down

I am glad to say that he has matured (well Wilsons version of maturing :rofl: ) - he can still destroy things, but thankfully not everything. More things are left alone than are shredded.

So, if you are at your wits end, dont despair - there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Must say he has always been a lovely dog, but now he is almost delightful :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

I met a Whippet today while I was at the Vets. Are all whippets attention seekers? this girl was so lovely she jumped around wiggling her bum trying to get my old grumpy bum to play then when she couldn't she came up to me and shoved her head in my hands for a pat, I couldn't help but get stuck patting her for a while I loved it :D .

--Lhok

If it weren't for the fact we were at a friend's place & not the vet's today, you could be describing my very sociable Twiggy's behaviour. She's sure everyone wants to be friends with her, but does show a little more restraint than she used to.

My boy, on the other hand, sits quietly in the background batting his eyelashes & waiting to be noticed.

Oops - typo.

Edited by meggie

• 1 month later...

I'm counting down the days 'till I pick up my whippet pup! As a first time dog owner I'm a mix of nerves and excitement...I really want to do a good job of brining up this dog. I'm logging onto sites such as Dog Star daily & reading books by Caesar Milan & Karen Pryor, but there's no better source of knowledge than whippet owners! I would really appreciate any advice and tips you could share? Our boy will be 10 weeks old when we pick him up from the breeder...can't wait!!

I'm counting down the days 'till I pick up my whippet pup! As a first time dog owner I'm a mix of nerves and excitement...I really want to do a good job of brining up this dog. I'm logging onto sites such as Dog Star daily & reading books by Caesar Milan & Karen Pryor, but there's no better source of knowledge than whippet owners! I would really appreciate any advice and tips you could share? Our boy will be 10 weeks old when we pick him up from the breeder...can't wait!!

You can ask in the whippet "social" thread, you might get more help there. :D

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/100087-all-things-whippet/

I agree that heading to the social thread will probably be best for lots of tips but I'll give one here.

Train a recall. Do NOT believe that it cannot be done but you have to start early and constantly reinforce it. It may save your dog's life. Whippets are just so fast that they can be metres away before you can even react. So be very very careful about where you let them offlead and do work on that recall!!

Yep agree with Haredown. Recall can be taught and Whippets can do it well. Start from day dot and training it all the time, every day just because you can. It can literally be a life saver. I also teach elave it, but we have lots of snakes so I don't want them poking their nose into grass etc so they are also taught leave it from day dot. Saved my baby Guimnea pig :)

• 1 year later...

We've joined the whippet world!

His name is Paul and he's the cutest little thing! Although Izzy, our weimeraner isn't quite convinced of his cuteness yet. She isn't aggressive towards him, just walks away if he gets to close, but she's slowly warming to him and each day he gets a little bit closer..

post-52644-0-78827500-1412054829_thumb.jpg

post-52644-0-49501900-1412054840_thumb.jpg

We've joined the whippet world!

His name is Paul and he's the cutest little thing! Although Izzy, our weimeraner isn't quite convinced of his cuteness yet. She isn't aggressive towards him, just walks away if he gets to close, but she's slowly warming to him and each day he gets a little bit closer..

congratulations. You will be better off posting in the whippet thread here.

My link