Whippet

Troy

I'm sure this has been asked before... Boy or girl?

My partner and I are looking at getting a puppy later this year and weren't sure whether to get a boy or girl?

We have both had dogs before, he has always had desexed boys (lab x) and I've always had desexed girls (shelties, border collies and rough collies). Neither of us mind the social/personal aspects of having a boy or girl but aren't sure which may be more suited to our living arrangements.

We live in an apparetment and one or both of us are around for a good chunk of the day, but in reality there will be times when the dog will be home alone without us. Probably for a max of 4-5 hours at the longest on 2-3 days a week? We have a few good parks very close so walks twice a day with the opportunity for a good run at least one of those times is fine. I will also on occasion (1-2 times a month) be able to bring the dog with me to work. We are very social and spend a lot of time out and about walking and at dog friendly places and want to include our new family member in as much of what we do as possible.

In this case would a boy or girl be more happy with this?

I've read that boys can be more clingy while girls more independant and wanted to ask?

Thank you in advance for your replies and experiences.

Sarah.

I'm sure this has been asked before... Boy or girl?

My partner and I are looking at getting a puppy later this year and weren't sure whether to get a boy or girl?

We have both had dogs before, he has always had desexed boys (lab x) and I've always had desexed girls (shelties, border collies and rough collies). Neither of us mind the social/personal aspects of having a boy or girl but aren't sure which may be more suited to our living arrangements.

We live in an apparetment and one or both of us are around for a good chunk of the day, but in reality there will be times when the dog will be home alone without us. Probably for a max of 4-5 hours at the longest on 2-3 days a week? We have a few good parks very close so walks twice a day with the opportunity for a good run at least one of those times is fine. I will also on occasion (1-2 times a month) be able to bring the dog with me to work. We are very social and spend a lot of time out and about walking and at dog friendly places and want to include our new family member in as much of what we do as possible.

In this case would a boy or girl be more happy with this?

I've read that boys can be more clingy while girls more independant and wanted to ask?

Thank you in advance for your replies and experiences.

Sarah.

One of each! But if that's not practical, perhaps a girl would suit you better. I've had two of each and the boys have been more clingy and one had bad separation anxiety. He was an entire male so didn't know that I existed when we went out for walks. He was too busy pulling me from pillar to post (literally). But in the house, he did't let me out of his sight. I have found that the girls, whilst possessing the typically sweet whippet personality, are more free spirits, happy to amuse themselves and not as emotionally dependant on you.

Of course this is just a generalisation. IMO, the best determinant of temperament (in all breeds) are the parents. If you can, get to meet them.

And you mention off lead running. Please, please remember that whippets should NOT be off leash anywhere near traffic. They have no road sense and poor recall. Whippets will chase a plastic bag onto a freeway if given the chance. Whilst the chance for free running is ideal, it's not essential for a happy whippet. No. 1 is YOU. No. 2 is warmth!

• 2 years later...

I've never added it up. It also depends on what you do with your dog and how well trained it is, both in recall and fitness.  Whippets dont stand much of a chance if hit by a car for example.  

If you decide to do dog sports or hunting with your dog there is also more chance of injury so these are things to keep in mind.   Overall whippets are a healthy breed, at least they were when I bought my last one 18 years ago.  They have changed alot since then and I dont know if they have more health problems now.

• Like 1