Greyhound

Troy

The Greyhound

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=120 )

Group: Group 4 (Hounds)

General Appearance: Strongly built, upstanding, of generous proportions, muscular power and symmetrical formation, with long head and neck, clean well laid shoulders, deep chest, capacious body, slightly arched loin, powerful quarters, sound legs and feet, and a suppleness of limb, which emphasise in a marked degree its distinctive type and quality.

Characteristics: Possessing remarkable stamina and endurance.

Temperament: Intelligent, gentle, affectionate and even tempered.

Head And Skull: Long, moderate width, flat skull, slight stop. Jaws powerful and well chiselled.

Eyes: Bright, intelligent, oval and obliquely set. Preferably dark.

Ears: Small, rose-shaped of fine texture.

Mouth: Jaws strong with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. the upper teeth closely overlapping the lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Forequarters: Shoulders oblique, well set back, muscular without being loaded, narrow and cleanly defined at top. Forelegs, long and straight, bone of good substance and quality. Elbows free and well set under shoulders. Pasterns moderate length, slightly sprung. Elbows, pasterns and toes inclining neither in nor out.

Body: Chest deep and capacious, providing adequate heart room. Ribs deep, well sprung and carried well back. Flanks well cut up. Back rather long, broad and square. Loin powerful, slightly arched.

Hindquarters: Thighs and second thighs, wide and muscular, showing great propelling power. Stifles well bent. Hocks well let down, inclining neither in nor out. Body and hindquarters, features of ample proportions and well coupled, enabling adequate ground to be covered when standing.

Feet: Moderate length, with compact, well-knuckled toes and strong pads.

Tail: Long, set on rather low, strong at root, tapering to point, carried low, slightly curved.

Gait/Movement: Straight, low reaching, free stride enabling the ground to be covered at great speed. Hind legs coming well under body giving great propulsion.

Coat: Fine and close.

Colour: Black, white, red, blue, fawn, fallow, brindle or any of these colours broken with white.

Sizes: Ideal Height:

Dogs 71-76 cms (28-30 ins)

Bitches 69-71 cms (27-28 ins)

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own two greyhounds (both rescued) and have also fostered around 9 or 10.

I will leave this one up to people more knowledgeable than me :thumbsup:

Very common because of the racing industry, but not all that common as pets.

Around 12-14 years is not uncommon.

Of course this varies between individual dogs, but greyhounds tend to be very laid back and gentle dogs, they LOVE lazing around and snoozing, and are generally very affectionate with people. Many are good with other animals, although caution should always be exercised around anything small and fluffy that runs!

Mine like to go for a walk, but we don't walk every day. My 7 year old male loves his walk but only for a few blocks, then he just starts to walk slower and slower until we are back home again. My younger boy will walk further, but they are definitely not into marathons!

Yes I think so, they are very easy dogs to have around, very clean, and with low exercise and grooming requirements.

Yes, they will snooze. However they really do like to be around people, so while they will happily laze the day away when you are out, they will want to be near you when you are home, even if it is just snoozing on their bed near your feet.

Minimal. Greys do not have a doggy odour, and a lot of greyhound owners will only bath their dogs once or twice a year. A quick rub over with a brush once a week helps to get rid of any loose hair, but sometimes mine go weeks without being brushed and it doesn't seem to make too much difference.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

Not usually, although some greys can be a little boisterous on occasion. Some greyhounds may not be suitable for very small children, as they do not enjoy rough handling, and it is also not uncommon for the breed to startle when woken abruptly from a deep sleep and maybe give a snap, so young children should not be allowed to disturb them when they are sleeping.

On the whole, greyhounds are a very healthy breed with very few hereditary health problems.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

As my greyounds have all been rescues, I am sorry but I can't help with this one. Puppies rarely come up for sale as pets though, most people who have greyhounds as pets have older ones that either haven't made the grade (usually about 12-18 months old) or have raced and retired, maybe due to injury.

Edited by Daisy

RULE NO 1 in owning a greyhound is never let them off lead unless in a secure area.

Owner, breeder, exhibitor, previous foster carer, have owned both race and show bred

Lots of arguments going on about this but most people subscribe to the theory that the modern greyhound is descended from greyhounds from England, before England - well there are pictures of greyhound type dogs in Egypt plus they are also mentioned in the Bible, so a very ancient breed.

They are sighthounds bred to hunt.

Race bred very common, show bred rare. The two types are very rarely interbred. Race bred can be show, show bred can not be raced.

Up to 12 years but over that is quite common.

Laid back, smoochy, a couch potato who likes a daily run (short) often called zoomies.

Not much, a walk is more for them to get out and about than to exercise them. 20 - 30 minutes, though there are plenty that like more and plenty who like less.

Yes

Yes

Very little, they are a smooth coat, so a wipe over with the occasional bath is all they need. When moulting a daily brush is enjoyed and their nails and teeth needed to be checked frequently.

Usually okay.

Not really. Being a large, deep chested breed owners need to be aware of bloat and osteosarcoma. Pannus and thyroid problems can also occur in greyhounds.

Most greyhounds are adopted through a rescue organisation as adults. You need to be totally honest with your circumstances so they right greyhound can be found to fit in with your home and lifestyle.

There are no mandatory health tests required for greyhounds. I hip and elbow score my dogs and thyroid test them before breeding, show bred. Race bred greys may be thyroid tested before being bred from.

I recomend adopting greyhounds from organisations that have had the dog in a foster home to get a truer picture of their nature, they are a sighthound, bred to hunt and while many of them are very capable of living with other animals of all descriptions, some are not.

Greyhounds have a lower body fat than most other dogs so if they need to be anesthetised, the vet needs to be careful what they are given. They also don't handle extremes in temperature well so need a warm, snug coat or 2 on in winter with a good draught proof kennel while outside and in the summer, plenty of shade and water. Most love the clam pools you get from K Mart, Big W etc.

RULE NO 1 in owning a greyhound is never let them off lead unless in a secure area.

Edited by Rebanne

How common are heart problems in Greys now? I know that years ago we lost a bitch (retired racer who was better suited to the show ring) to a heart problem. Back then I remember 'overhearing' vet talk about greys having heart issues. Has that changed in recent years?

How common are heart problems in Greys now? I know that years ago we lost a bitch (retired racer who was better suited to the show ring) to a heart problem. Back then I remember 'overhearing' vet talk about greys having heart issues. Has that changed in recent years?

not common to my knowledge. I know some Americans are doing heart testing on their show bred greyhounds.

Hi Rebanne.

You know how you stress about never letting them off lead unless in a secure area. How would greyhounds go in a farm situation. If they had rabbits etc to chase would they run off and not come back or if trained would they come back but only once the rabbit was gone? And it is different if they have never been racing dogs and you have trained them since a pup.

Thanks

Amanda.

Hi Rebanne.

You know how you stress about never letting them off lead unless in a secure area. How would greyhounds go in a farm situation. If they had rabbits etc to chase would they run off and not come back or if trained would they come back but only once the rabbit was gone? And it is different if they have never been racing dogs and you have trained them since a pup.

Thanks

Amanda.

I don't know about Rebanne and show greys but our racing greys were free galloped at a local AFL oval that was definitely not fenced. Most of them had good recall but we knew which ones didn't and what tricks we had to use to ensure we could catch them straight after one huge initial sprint from one end of the AFL oval to the other. Greyhounds have a huge hunting range so they are comfortable being long distances from their handlers but most of them also hate it when they lose you from sight and will try to keep you in view even if they are a couple of hundred meters away.

I can remember one day one of the 'non-recall' dogs didn't fall for any of our tricks and he took off to a creek down the back of the oval... and promptly found a dead possum and started playing with it and rolling in it. It made him easy to catch but nobody really wanted to touch him after that. :eek:

Rule No. 1 - to add to what has already been posted, it is ILLEGAL to let greyhounds off lead in any public spaces, including off leash parks, in Victoria.

Rule No. 2 - ALL Greyhounds in Victoria, except for those adopted through the Greyhound Adoption Program, are required to be muzzled in public. There are certain laws that govern greyhound ownership that still apply when they become pet dogs. You can see copies of the legislation on our website http://gap.grv.org.au

Hi Rebanne.

Thanks

Amanda.

I'm on a farm. My grey has the run of the house yard (about 2 acres) in which he can really stretch out running, but I won't let him run around the paddocks off-lead. I know some people might think that's being over-protective, but there are just too many ways he could get injured for me to be comfortable with it. Their speed is phenominal - one foot down a hidden rabbit hole at full speed, or slipping off a patch of uneven ground, could mean broken limbs or death.

My grey doesn't chase rabbits. Or he doesn't appear to... he's in the yard all day and every day we find fresh rabbit activity! But I still won't let him loose in the paddocks, even though sometimes I think it would be pretty cool to have him potter along beside me like a regular 'farm dog'. But I'd never forgive myself if something went wrong.

I don't know about whether it's different if they've never been racing dogs - I would think that would come into it, but also very important would be the dog's innate level prey/chase drive, which varies so widely in intensity from dog to dog. Another GREAT reason to go through an adoption group like GAP, who assess each dog and can find a dog that suits the circumstances of individual adopters.

thanks gapvic, I was thinking about adding something about the muzzling laws. Unfortunately the muzzles put a lot of people off, people tend to assume that the dogs are vicious :eek: and prospective owners sometimes don't like the thought of having to muzzle their dogs. I do reassure them that it doesn't bother the dogs, they are used to it, and my older boy will even run up and stick his nose into the muzzle because he knows when I get it out we are going for a walk :rolleyes: Greyhounds must be muzzled in NSW, no exceptions, and I believe the fine is about $250 if you get caught.

I don't know about other people, but I never let my greys run off lead unless in a securely fenced area. I just don't trust them 100% to come back if they 'sighted' something and started chasing it. Better safe than sorry I think.

Rule No. 1 - to add to what has already been posted, it is ILLEGAL to let greyhounds off lead in any public spaces, including off leash parks, in Victoria.

Rule No. 2 - ALL Greyhounds in Victoria, except for those adopted through the Greyhound Adoption Program, are required to be muzzled in public. There are certain laws that govern greyhound ownership that still apply when they become pet dogs. You can see copies of the legislation on our website http://gap.grv.org.au

I was talking 20 years ago in my post, when laws weren't so stringent. We also lived in a semi-rural area (it was back then, it's all housing estates now) and the dogs were run at about 6am, I remember this because it was before school and FREEZING. ETA: our dogs were always muzzled.

No need to jump up and down. There are nice ways of saying things and nice ways of finding out the circumstances.

Edited by Ashanali

My Lilly has a heart murmur (grade 2 or 3) and our vet seems to think that heart problems are very uncommon in the breed. In fact, greyhounds tend to be one of the 'healthier' breeds going round according to him.

My Lilly has a heart murmur (grade 2 or 3) and our vet seems to think that heart problems are very uncommon in the breed. In fact, greyhounds tend to be one of the 'healthier' breeds going round according to him.

Yes, they are definitely one of the healthier breeds. Part of the reason I recommend them to so many people. :rolleyes:

Sounds like heart problems are on the decrease then :eek:

Hi Rebanne.

Thanks

Amanda.

I have a friend who lives on 100 acres, her dogs chase, and sometimes, catch rabbits. When she gets a new grey she makes sure it is walked around the paddocks on lead for a week or two to show it the boundaries. Then she lefts it off on it's own and in the middle of the day to lessen the chance of running into a fence, very few rabbits are out and about then. All her fences have hot wires on them as well so her dogs have a healthy respect for fences. They have never tried to jump them, a couple did try to go through them - once!

A greyhound is a greyhound and even though I think a greyhound raised as a pet right from the start is a bit different to one raised as a racer, most have the chase instinct intact, how strong it is will dictate how reliable they will recall to you off the chase!

Edited by Rebanne

Yes, they are definitely one of the healthier breeds. Part of the reason I recommend them to so many people. :rolleyes:

Sounds like heart problems are on the decrease then :eek:

:laugh:

Lilly's heart murmur is a bit of a blessing - she was always going to live with us when she finished racing, but because of it she arrived on our couch a little early :cool:

Our 2 are very different in personality. Patch is the calm, serene boy (though his zoomies consist of him spinning in a circle on the spot), he subtley comes over for a pat and does the 'greyhound lean'. Lilly is younger and much more 'in your face' - she is our velcro dog who loves nothing more than to be whereever we are. She jumps, counter-surfs and loves to lick everyone and everything.

I have a friend who lives on 100 acres, her dogs chase, and sometimes, catch rabbits. When she gets a new grey she makes sure it is walked around the paddocks on lead for a week or two to show it the boundaries. Then she lefts it off on it's own and in the middle of the day to lessen the chance of running into a fence, very few rabbits are out and about then. All her fences have hot wires on them as well so her dogs have a healthy respect for fences. They have never tried to jump them, a couple did try to go through them - once!

I'm on 25 acres. My Fang (ex-racer) knows the boundaries and although he tends to prefer to stick in or near the house and house yard, he does sometimes take himself off for a gallop. It is never usually very far or for very long and in probably 90% of cases is to race my 5 year old Arabian Gelding. He doesn't chase, just gallops alongside. They seem to decide each day who is going to win....nobody seems to win 2 days running! :eek:

A greyhound is a greyhound and even though I think a greyhound raised as a pet right from the start is a bit different to one raised as a racer, most have the chase instinct intact, how strong it is will dictate how reliable they will recall to you off the chase!

Fang (now) comes when I call him at least 99% of the time. I can always see that he is torn between chasing and loyalty, but I never have to say his name more than twice before he is back with me, bouncing, barrel-rolling and chortling at me! :rolleyes:

I need to go through my photo album and find a photo of me as a 9 year old with a little of grey pups jumping all over me. They are so affectionate. *sigh* maybe I should get a grey...

This little one might bring back some memories for you Ashanali :rolleyes:

Just to make this more in keeping with Dog Breeds 101, I'll have a go at answering some of the questions:

QUESTIONS

Owner, sometimes foster carer and devout fanatic of the breed.

Greyhounds are a very old breed and I've heard many theories at to where and when they originated. The only breed mentioned in the bible, if that means anything! They were originally hunting dogs but in Australia they are bred to race, being the fastest dog breed. There is also a small but enthusiastic show-bred community growing in Australia.

Racing greys are very common. Unfortunately there aren't nearly enough people who realise how brilliant ex-racers are as family pets.

I've heard 12-14 years. I'm hoping Tommy is happy and healthy well into his 30s.

Greys are generally very calm creatures. They are affectionate without being needy. They love to have company, human or canine, but many are also fine spending long periods on their own (eg, during the week when you're at work). They are extremely trusting and will let you do just about anything to them (with the possible exception, in some dogs *cough*Tommy*cough* of clipping nails) without fuss. They make a noise known as the Greyhound Scream of Death - such big lungs make a very loud noise! This is usually reserved for things they think are going to hurt. When they are actually in pain you most likely only hear a small whine. I roll my eyes when I hear the GSoD, and panic when I hear the whine!

Not much. A short walk each day to stimulate the mind is usually all they need. If you miss a day or two here and there they won't punish you by destroying the house - they probably won't even notice they haven't been walked. Adults will also release their physical energy in a short burst of madness. 2 minutes of racing around the yard, or up and down the hallway, or from one room to another, or sometimes just spinning in circles on the spot. This is 'zoomies'.

Yes, definitely! Greyhounds are a very easy introduction to dog ownership, especially if the dog comes from GAP or a similar reputable adoption group. They may try to test a new owner's leadership skills, but will quickly accept their place when very simple techniques, such as Nothing In Life Is Free, are implimented.

Each individual dog is different, naturally, but generally speaking ex-racers aren't known for barking or biting or chewing or digging or any of the bored/destructive problem behaviours people think of dogs doing. This makes them ideal suburban animals as they rarely upset the neighbours!

Yes, but again is depends on the individual dog. Some don't do well at all without canine or human company, but others couldn't care less. Adoption groups like GAP will be sure to match a dog to your circumstances - if you work long hours and have no other dogs, they will match you with a dog who will be happy with those arrangements.

Grooming? Umm.... :eek: A quick brush with a zoom-groom glove or similar is enough to remove loose hairs. I think Tommy last got a bath in... December? last year. He smells lovely :laugh:

Some will be too boisterous, but generally not. Again, GAP etc will match you up with the right dog for you.

Puppies are rarely available to pet owners. Ex-racing greyhounds will be thoroughly health checked before being made available for adoption, and GAP etc will be totally honest with you. Common-ish conditions seen are pannus (an eye condition easily and quite cheaply controlled with medication), bad teeth in older dogs, and thyroid conditions. Some ex-racers will also have scars/dints from running accidents. They may develop some arthritis in their later years.

Conditions normally associated with large breeds are almost unheard of in greyhounds - things like hip dysplasia and other structural problems are very rare. They are bred to be elite athletes.

Oops - I think I have combined my answers to 11 and 12 above.

Edited by Longclaw

How would greyhounds go in a farm situation. If they had rabbits etc to chase would they run off and not come back or if trained would they come back but only once the rabbit was gone? And it is different if they have never been racing dogs and you have trained them since a pup.

Hi Amanda

The problem is that they're bred to be sight hounds and to chase. So to some extent the race training only adds cream to the cake.

Unlike other farm dogs, they probably have more chance of catching a rabbit than most. And when chasing, they are totally focused to the exclusion of EVERYTHING else. They would go straight through a barbed wire fence (and skin themselves plus other damage in the process), or straight under a car without noticing either. They wouldn't even hear your call. When they stopped running, if undamaged, they would be lost.

Obviously the chase instinct will vary with individual dogs ... but I don't let my girl off unless I'm in a secure area.

And, as couch potatoes, they don't HAVE to run the way other more active dogs do. And can live the rest of their lives with you happily without ever being off-lead outside their property.

Pups are hard to get hold of from racing stock, as each pup is sure to be the one that will win a million dollars. Generally only unraceable ones are available - and they are that way either through an injury, or because they don't know who the parents are and can't register them. Show puppies - Rebanne, what do they go for?

Noone is jumping down anyone's throat here - we all have the wellbeing of the greys in mind. And we all want to tell people how wonderful the dogs are. The more homes for these dogs the better, as long as people are aware of the characteristics of the breed.

:laugh: not all greyhound trainers are bad.

I have put alot through GAP, still have my 1st boy ever to race (who was rescued from being put down at the track) plus a half blind girl i "adopted" from a breeder and a girl that had a leg injury at 4 weeks old. Both girls are very happy and love life heaps. BOTH GIRLS ARE DE-SEXED. They are my pets only.

I have also sold some of my racing puppies to pet homes, as long as i think they are GOOD homes.

I don't let them go just because someone has the money....and that doesn't matter if its a race or pet or show home.

Though I am lucky as I don't have to sell them, I have a big property with a dog license and don't breed very often. :)