Greyhound

Troy

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know of any greyhound foster carers that live in Vic that could help Vic greyhound rescue this year?

which Vic greyhound rescue?

Greyhound rescue Vic & NSW

which greyhound rescue in Victoria? GAP, GSN or ?

'Nursy' post='5068376' date='7th Jan 2011 - 04:42 PM']Does anyone know of any greyhound foster carers that live in Vic that could help Vic greyhound rescue this year?

Greyhound rescue Vic & NSW

Would this be the group you are referring to?

http://greyhoundrescue.com.au/news/4-greyh...ad-to-victoria/

Yes this is the group. Greyhound rescue Vic, is not GAP or GSN.

So is it NSW dogs you are looking for foster carers for?

We are looking for foster carers in Victoria. We would like to save more greyhounds in Vic but don't have enough foster carers.

why not join forces with GAP or GSN? They always need foster carers as well. What does your group offer that they don't? Do you have a website? Why bring NSW dogs down? Not that they don't deserve a chance but there are lots of Victorian greyhounds waiting for that chance.

If you are wondering at all the questions, you have posted in the greyhound breed thread which, IMO, is for newcomers to the breed to get a feel about greyhounds. Greyhounds get many a undeserved bad rap and as some groups do not know what they are doing the bad rap becomes deserved. Long time supporters of the breed, as I and Jensgreys are, have seen it happen, hence the questions. People have had bad experiences when adopting greyhounds from some people and in some circumstances.

I sincerely hope, if you wish to stand alone, that you can stand alongside GAP and GSN, there is always room for another good greyhound adoption program to be in place.

I found the website, looks very good, but no mention on the muzzling laws or not letting them off lead in unfenced areas. In Vic they can't be let off lead in public places and that includes off lead dog parks. I mention this for the benefit of new greyhound owners in Vic.

How long are your dogs kept in kennels on average? It's a bit of a hot topic at the moment :D

I see your group has a lot of oldies which is greyt...I love the oldies and think there is nothing nicer than to give an oldie a home for the last year or 2 of their life.

The thing I'm curious about is who pays the freight as you seem to adopt to all over the country side and have a few in foster care and adopted in Melbourne, it's no wonder they are begging for money if they pay the freight and keep the dogs kennelled for long periods too.

Do you take any greyhounds in from Melbourne or send them all down from NSW?

Sorry also for the questions but the person mentioned working for you Kayleigh from Pakenham is down my neck of the woods and believe me there should be absolutely no reason to freight greyhounds from NSW as we have plenty of our own down here needing rescue.

I see your group has a lot of oldies which is greyt...I love the oldies and think there is nothing nicer than to give an oldie a home for the last year or 2 of their life.

The thing I'm curious about is who pays the freight as you seem to adopt to all over the country side and have a few in foster care and adopted in Melbourne, it's no wonder they are begging for money if they pay the freight and keep the dogs kennelled for long periods too.

Do you take any greyhounds in from Melbourne or send them all down from NSW?

Sorry also for the questions but the person mentioned working for you Kayleigh from Pakenham is down my neck of the woods and believe me there should be absolutely no reason to freight greyhounds from NSW as we have plenty of our own down here needing rescue.

The dogs are not from NSW. The dogs we have been saving are from pounds in Victoria.

• 3 weeks later...

There is not a lot of difference in temperament that I have seen. Both have timid, shy, aloof, loving, bold etc. Both can have a very high prey drive or very little. The greyhounds that get into pet homes while younger are usually more "dog like" for lack of a better term. Race bred can be shown, show bred can not be raced. Rarely are the two types crossed because the racing industry won't accept them and neither would most showies.

Physically, on a whole, show bred are bigger - taller and longer, though there are plenty of race bred males that are at least as big as my boys and plenty are bigger. Race dogs don't worry about the set of ears for example, they worry about speed. Show bred would not win a race, but so don't many of the race bred! Racing after a lure on an oval track has only been around for about 90 - 100 years, controlled coursing a couple of hundred years before that. Hunting game for thousands of years before that. Race bred have got smaller and faster for the track, show bred have got larger and possibly a bit slower. But as they were never timed, hard to tell. They are coursed competively overseas. They can still catch bunnies.

Race bred are in their thousands. Show bred are not. At the last Melbourne Royal there were people from NSW and SA as well as VIC and between us all we could only come up with around 70 - 80 showbred greys in the country. We rounded it up to 100 just to make sure we had them all covered. In NZ there are 6! 4 of them not yet 4 months old. There may possibly be 2 more but they would be very old so not likely to be around.

Greyhounds are S curves top and bottom, the show bred more so.

• 1 month later...

Just looking for some advice from Grey people - especially those that have dealt with puppies.

I'm currently fostering 3, 8 week old Greys from a flood affected ex-racing bitch. They aren't with GAP Qld, but I have been in contact with them & the Rescue Group that is in charge of them is/will be making contact with GAP. Anyways, as it seems that Greyhound puppies are VERY hard to get a hold of, I'm looking for some hands-on experience.

I'm concerned about their eating habits. Of the male & two females, the male is the only one with what I would call a "normal" appetite. Now, I live with Amstaffs, and while I've always had a *massive* fuzzy spot for sighthounds, I'm used to beautiful chunky, muscley garbage compactors on 4 legs. The females are 4.3 & 4.7 kgs respectively, the male is just skimming under 6kg. All pups have gained ~500grams since coming into my foster care 10 days ago. For breeders, does this sound like I'm on the right track?

All pups are on a worming schedule/flea control. As I'm a vet nurse, I'm very aware of obvious signs of lethargy, vomit, diarrhea, etc etc. All pups are being supplemented with additional probiotics to aid in digestion. They are on approx 1-1 1/3 cups of Royal Canin Junior/day - again, is this within normal range? I feed raw with my other dogs, so kibble is a alien thing to me (haven't fed it in a decade). I do intend to keep them on kibble just because they won't be mine for the rest of forever - but yes, are snuck a chicken neck etc, here and there :smurfanim:

My other concern is that while the male will happily eat whatever & all of set in front of him, the females will rarely consume all of their set portions in one of the 3 feeds they're given daily. They will of course, show avid interest & appetite in enticing food stuffs (chicken necks, liver treats, chicken chunkers etc etc) - seriously, I've never seen an 7.5 week old puppy scramble up a couch to climb onto the kitchen island in the search of more food.. clever monkey! So, of course, do I act weak, and cave, adding more tasty bits to encourage appetite? Or from the information I've given you, am I on an good course and just need to harden up :smurfanim:? Which leads me to another concern - overfeeding in a large/giant breed and the potential fallout, are they better off on restricted diet?

Any feedback will be immensely appreciated.

Just looking for some advice from Grey people - especially those that have dealt with puppies.

I'm currently fostering 3, 8 week old Greys from a flood affected ex-racing bitch. They aren't with GAP Qld, but I have been in contact with them & the Rescue Group that is in charge of them is/will be making contact with GAP. Anyways, as it seems that Greyhound puppies are VERY hard to get a hold of, I'm looking for some hands-on experience.

I'm concerned about their eating habits. Of the male & two females, the male is the only one with what I would call a "normal" appetite. Now, I live with Amstaffs, and while I've always had a *massive* fuzzy spot for sighthounds, I'm used to beautiful chunky, muscley garbage compactors on 4 legs. The females are 4.3 & 4.7 kgs respectively, the male is just skimming under 6kg. All pups have gained ~500grams since coming into my foster care 10 days ago. For breeders, does this sound like I'm on the right track?

All pups are on a worming schedule/flea control. As I'm a vet nurse, I'm very aware of obvious signs of lethargy, vomit, diarrhea, etc etc. All pups are being supplemented with additional probiotics to aid in digestion. They are on approx 1-1 1/3 cups of Royal Canin Junior/day - again, is this within normal range? I feed raw with my other dogs, so kibble is a alien thing to me (haven't fed it in a decade). I do intend to keep them on kibble just because they won't be mine for the rest of forever - but yes, are snuck a chicken neck etc, here and there :D

My other concern is that while the male will happily eat whatever & all of set in front of him, the females will rarely consume all of their set portions in one of the 3 feeds they're given daily. They will of course, show avid interest & appetite in enticing food stuffs (chicken necks, liver treats, chicken chunkers etc etc) - seriously, I've never seen an 7.5 week old puppy scramble up a couch to climb onto the kitchen island in the search of more food.. clever monkey! So, of course, do I act weak, and cave, adding more tasty bits to encourage appetite? Or from the information I've given you, am I on an good course and just need to harden up :smurfanim:? Which leads me to another concern - overfeeding in a large/giant breed and the potential fallout, are they better off on restricted diet?

Any feedback will be immensely appreciated.

Add raw to their diet. 1 to 1 1/3 cups of dry per day sounds a bit light on to me. As for their weights, I do like my pups on the lean side, same as the adults, most of the rib cage should be covered with a hint of the back 3 showing. Vertabrae can show no matter how much you feed. Don't skimp on their food but yes they need to grow slow, so keep them lean but fed. And yes they can be great bench surfers right from an early age :smurfanim:

For more info PM GAPVic, she breeds racing greys and has just bred her 6th litter.

Good on you for taking on the pups! If they were intended for racing, it is unlikely they would have been fed straight dry food before going to you. I agree with Rebanne, add some beef - mush it up with some hot water and mix the kibble in too.

You could also try soaking the kibble in some puppy milk to make it nicer for them :-).

Good on you for taking on the pups! If they were intended for racing, it is unlikely they would have been fed straight dry food before going to you. I agree with Rebanne, add some beef - mush it up with some hot water and mix the kibble in too.

You could also try soaking the kibble in some puppy milk to make it nicer for them :-).

As I said, I have a massive soft spot for sighthounds (I'm thinking Borzoi for my next dog) so I was really quite excited when I got the request of "we have puppies for you.. & they're greyhounds". If I wasn't in full throttle mode with my other two dogs, this would be the most perfect, of perfect opportunities for a new addition. Anyways, someone else is going to be lucky!

I actually tried soaking their kibble yesterday - little monkeys turned their noses up at it and went straight back to the hard kibble! In many ways, I'd feel so much more comfortable feeding completely raw - but again, it's for the ease of new owners. But I still give them raw things (chicken neck or beef soup bones) every second day, it makes me feel less guilty.

GapVIC & Rebanne, roughly how much additional beef mince? ~100-150 grams each/day? Do you find greyhounds to be picky with food (like SWF) and will only eat the chosen bits, or if you make ground mince a separate meal, they are still content to eat everything put in front of them(even boring kibble)? Or have you never had issues with mixing everything each meal, it all disappears in the end, anyways? Or, of course, they're individuals and it depends..

Thanks so much!