Greyhound

Troy

I can only speak for my own puppies, but they have never been fussy and just eat what is put in front of them. I'm really sorry, I can't advise on weights as when they are that young, I just mix it in a bowl by sight - if they gobble it down in two seconds then there wasn't enough, and if they leave a lot then there was too much :-). Sorry, I should be a bit more scientific LOL! Try around 100gms and see how you go. Just tell the new owners they need to be fed some mince, or give them a copy of your diet, then they'll be fine :-). We do feed calcium too.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one adult girl who can be quite fussy, prefers dry to raw more often than not, her two pups, now adults, are pigs when it comes to meals and my oldest male eats better when fed inside :confused:

Foster pups I have had were all good eaters and all were fed a mix of raw and dry.

Don't let them being greyhounds throw you, they are still dogs :)

I thought all of you nice Greyhound ppl could answer some questions for me

This past week have seen 2 of our dogs pass

1 x shepherd and

1 x kelpie x Rottie

We still have a 10yr old Lab and 7yr old Rottie at home

I am not ready for anymore dogs, but my husband is going to pursue getting a new one sooner rather then later

We have always talked about giving a greyhound a home.

I have cared for them when I worked in a boarding kennel/shelter but we really dont know alot about the breed

My husband has been reading and not sure where he has been reading but if a Greyhound was off lead it would run away?

If that sound stupid I am sorry.

If let off lead, greyhounds will generally come back, eventually :-). The problem is more that they may get themselves killed first (no road sense, run into trees, strong chase instinct etc). It is safest to just keep your greyhound on leash :-). Sorry to read you've lost two of your dogs this week - what a horrible time for you :-(

If let off lead, greyhounds will generally come back, eventually :-). The problem is more that they may get themselves killed first (no road sense, run into trees, strong chase instinct etc). It is safest to just keep your greyhound on leash :-). Sorry to read you've lost two of your dogs this week - what a horrible time for you :-(

thank you for letting me know about them off lead

our furkids Ashes came home today. So they are back with us

Sorry for your losses Bartok. Two in one week is a cruel blow.

As Gapvic pointed out, greyhounds are not noted for their recall...if off lead and they see something of interest they are off and gone. If they don't get hit by a car or smack into a tree, they will more than likely get lost...they have a terrible sense of direction. :) Definitely on lead only would be my recommendation.

My greyhound was EXTREMELY fussy when she first arrived. In fact, she ate pretty much nothing for the first 3 days! I ended up buying her roast chicken, expensive cuts of beef, etc trying to tempt her! LOL! I think at first, she was just stressed and confused. She eventually started eating better, but she is still a picky eater. She is too skinny but she won't eat very much and she doesn't like many things so getting weight on her is a challenge to say the least. :laugh:

1 x shepherd and

1 x kelpie x Rottie

My husband has been reading and not sure where he has been reading but if a Greyhound was off lead it would run away?

sorry for your losses Bartok, it's never easy at the best of times but to lose the 2 :laugh:

It's not that greyhounds run away but they love to run and sometimes that can mean running straight into trouble, best to only let them off lead in a fully fenced area and in some States they are not allowed off lead even in off lead parks

• 4 months later...

1 x shepherd and

1 x kelpie x Rottie

We still have a 10yr old Lab and 7yr old Rottie at home

I am not ready for anymore dogs, but my husband is going to pursue getting a new one sooner rather then later

We have always talked about giving a greyhound a home.

I have cared for them when I worked in a boarding kennel/shelter but we really dont know alot about the breed

They are like any other dog, you have to teach recall to them.... my girl is very trustworthy offleash now but it took us about a year to get there.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys:) trying to locate the owner of a greyhound in Mt Evelyn vic, is anyone here from that region? unsure of sex, not microchipped, pale brindle. Dog is injured and now at the animal emergency centre in mt waverley, will possibly be transferred to the rspca tomorrow. cheers and merry xmas

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If your grey decides to chase something & happens to be off leash there is no way in hell you will be able to call it off.

That applies equally also to most other dogs except those which are exceptionally well trained & suited to training such as collies, G Shepherds etc.

Recently my girl saw some feral deer on my sisters farm & she'd gone: through the electric fence, the brambles, the undergrowth, & barbed wire.

Very worrying - but it was a risk we had accepted.

Eventually she found her way back - covered in minor skin tears & scratches. Antibiotic ointment for a week or so, & careful wound inspection, & all's well.

Greys are quite sure footed, but if brought down by irregular ground or rabbit holes, it will be tears all round.

You just have to decide, we let her run with the farm dogs, she likes to be "just a bit faster" but overall nowhere near flat out racing speeds.

At the local off leash beach, she shows off doing doughnuts at impossibly high speed & very tight turns. She can sidestep at speed any other dog we have ever seen, it's a pure joy to watch (& just about everyone does watch). Yes I guess it's a bit risky but dogs have to be dogs imho.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone - I hope this is the right place to ask this question?

My partner and I will hopefully be welcoming a roughly 14 week old grey pup into our family mod march. I was wondering if anyone had any good advice about the best for for him?

I feed my current pets royal canin and was thinking the same for him? Maybe large breed puppy? Plus fresh meat etc?

Suggestions would be very welcomed!

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/105867-greyhounds/

would be a better thread to ask in :D

I don't feed my greyhound pups, puppy food. I put them onto adult dry by 12 weeks of age. You need to grow them slowly. I don't feed them a lot of meat. I feed 2 feeds of dry and one feed of chicken necks/wings/carcass. Royal Canin is fine. I also add eggs and sardines. I rarely feed veggies.

Congratulations on your pup, nothing better then a greyhound :D

• 2 months later...

Hi Rebanne.

You know how you stress about never letting them off lead unless in a secure area. How would greyhounds go in a farm situation. If they had rabbits etc to chase would they run off and not come back or if trained would they come back but only once the rabbit was gone? And it is different if they have never been racing dogs and you have trained them since a pup.

Thanks

Amanda.

I am on 600 acres about 2 acres which is fenced but there are gates that stay open unless I am running the other dogs in the yard my grey hangs out and has wonderful recall she is an ex racer. I think a lot of it depends on the dog and how much you have worked with them. I have never tried her off leash in public and have never taken her to the dog park so can only speak on this one dog and living in the country.

• 7 years later...