Greyhound

Troy

Pups are hard to get hold of from racing stock, as each pup is sure to be the one that will win a million dollars. Generally only unraceable ones are available - and they are that way either through an injury, or because they don't know who the parents are and can't register them. Show puppies - Rebanne, what do they go for?

Fern was $1200 and I sold Paige for $1200. Not sure what the Sydney breeder sells his for, so I would say price wise between $1000 - $1500.

You can get race bred pups from the paper and the web if you are prepared to pay the price anything from free to several thousands of dollars. But they would rarely be available before 12 weeks and very few would have been raised in the house etc.

I had someone wanting one of Fern's pups but when I found out she was only having the 2 the lady got herself a race bred pup off the web. About 4 months old and $1000 if I remember rightly.

Easier to buy race bred pups then show bred ones! ETA as in availability. Thousands of race bred pups are born every year as opposed to 20 ish a year of show bred ones.

Edited by Rebanne

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, where are the photos???

Well here is a pic of our Rescued girl Polly who as an ex racer was unfamiliar to almost everything around the home especially living with cats... this photo to me shows their very sweet inner nature and ability to adapt to the ways of a normal loving home...

Polly.jpg

We were given fantastic advice by Daisy on how to help them adjust and Polly lives happily with 5 other dogs, 5 cats, 3 kids and a Corella!!! :laugh:

DSC00703.jpg

DSC00699.jpg

Edited by bluecollie

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

Owner and rescuer (particularly of greyhound pups)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

No idea - I'd ask Rebanne :o

3. How common is it in Australia?

As a racing greyhound, extraordinarily, as a pet, rarely, as a show dog even more rarely

4. What is the average lifespan?

My first greyhound is 4 years old - I'm praying for at least 12 years

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

Bart is a bossy son-of-a-bitch and has been more of a trial to own than I ever expected - I did get him from a puppy though so he is not what most people see as a typical greyhound. He will sit, drop and stay and his recall is really good - I even got him to drop next to a rabbit cage at the local Petstock one day :laugh: . Most of the greyhound pups I've rescued have been, like Bart, real screamers as babies who stress beyond belief at being alone. The current pup I've had though is very easy (and I'm not saying that just because her new mother will be reading this :D ). I'm a little controversial in my beliefs on greyhounds. I think that if all dogs were subject to the strict temperament tests that GAP requires then we would say that most breeds are fabulous, cruisy and easy-to-live with. The truth is IMO that a lot of greyhounds are not the cruisy, easy-going couch potatoes that the GAP dogs are. I don't think that is a bad thing - I just think that more people need to be realise that they are still dogs, if that makes any sense? I have rescued greyhounds who were terrifying with their prey drive and even a 3 month old puppy that was frightening with his strong prey drive - I have rescued greyhounds who, like Bart, were not cruisy and easy-going and would arc up if you asked them to do something they didn't want to. I have also rescued a few who were just like the poster dogs from GAP. I worry that the success of the GAP programme is encouraging people to take dogs directly from the breeders/trainers who are NOT suitable for pet homes.

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

Bart would die if I tried to take him for more than a 20 minute walk :p :(:cheer: . That is more because I've never done it than because he wouldn't be able to. He LOVES to run and I have taken him down to a local area where he has run and run for over 60 minutes with little 5 minute gaps of walking next to me.

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

If it is sourced from an appropriate place - GAP or another reputable greyhound rehoming centre or a show breeder.

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

Bart can now but as a pup he destroyed things worse than any other dog I've ever owned. My mattress had two large holes in it which he chewed in 5 minutes each time. He destroyed an outdoor lounge we purchased for him to sleep on in 3 days (and I mean completely destroyed). He chewed the handbrake in our car when we thought he was sound asleep.

9. How much grooming is required?

Bart has a bath a couple of times a year and a good groom whenever I think of it. He is very easy!

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

I would NEVER let Bart around my kids unsupervised as I have no doubt that he would bite them if they pushed him too far - I think they would really have to push him but he is the only one of my dogs who I would NOT trust around my kids. Bart really, really doesn't like being told what to do and never has - he doesn't get away with it but he is hard work sometimes. I've had other greyhounds through who were fine. I've rescued pups who were amazing with kids and Nissa who is here adores my children. Bart would still knock over an infirm person - he is tall and flies up to you very quickly when excited.

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

Again - ask Rebanne.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

I probably have more greyhound pups come through our rescue than anyone else in Victoria as GAP Vic refer most people on to us. Ours are rescues and as such they have no health tests and come with no more of a guarantee than any other rescue dogs.

I MUST STRESS - Bart is my baby and my heartdog - I love him to pieces but he is bloody hard work and has made me realise that greyhounds are a lot more than the couch potatoes we see. I have no doubt that if Bart had been race trained he would never have passed GAP and the only thing that gets him through is having grown up in my house. I will continue to love greyhounds and will probably always own one but I doubt I will get one as a puppy again UNLESS I get one from Rebanne to show. If I was to have another greyhound I want the cruisy couch potato.

Thanks for all the replies to my question. Will be keeping an eye on this thread as would love to own and foster greyhounds one day.

Amanda.

Amanda, we are looking at setting up a branch of GAP in your area if we get enough volunteers wanting to assist. The dogs would come out of Bundaberg and Rockhampton and be adopted out to those areas and to people in the Gladstone area.

Please send me an email, so I can keep you on the list of people to contact when we go ahead with this. It may not happen quickly, but the more people from that area that come forward, the sooner we can give assistance to the greyhounds racing in central qld.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

Owner and rescuer

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

We've had a fair few greyhounds pups come through as well, and they've ranged from 'normal type' pups that need the usual supervision, amount of work etc, to the very easy, not getting up to mischief pups (River's one - yippee, but have had others), and never had screamers (thankfully :thumbsup: ). Most of the dogs we've had come in have been lovely dogs, settle in well, happy by themselves or with others.

I fully agree that some people do have a misinformed 'all greyhounds are gentle angels' idea, which isn't true - there are individuals that aren't suited as pets. We've had a fair number of enquiries for people to surrender dogs, and when we speak to them, or see the dogs, we say we won't take them as we wouldn't rehome them. I've also had people contacting us after getting a dog direct from a trainer, as it hasn't worked out.

Some dogs are easy going and laid back, some are more work/more active/more dominant, some dogs zip around like brainless chickens on steroids.

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

Some people think 'greyhounds are couch potatoes therefore they never get off their mat' - they do get up and they can be bloody active, even if it isn't usually for long. But they don't need a long walk, and will be quite happy if they have to skip a day. They'll also enjoy a trip to a fenced paddock, however don't expect to be there for long, as they'll do a few zoomies and then line up at the gate to go home, or have a nap under a tree.

I agree with what Trish and Paula have both said - not all greyhounds are suitable for adoption.

When getting your greyhound, do your research first. Deal with groups or organisations that properly assess greyhounds as to their suitability as pets. Some greyhounds will kill a small dog without thinking twice. These dogs are not suitable for adoption. I'd strongly recommend not getting a dog straight off the track from a greyhound trainer. Every week we receive phone calls from people who have "rescued" a greyhound and it has gone wrong.

Most greyhounds are calm and gentle. Around 15% of the greyhounds we assess though exhibit dangerously high predatory behaviour and will not be suitable for adoption.

I personally would always prefer to have a greyhound that had raced rather than an unraced puppy, but I'm sure some will disagree with me on that :) .

I personally would always prefer to have a greyhound that had raced rather than an unraced puppy, but I'm sure some will disagree with me on that :eat: .

Any future greyhound I get will be an adult from you :) or another group.

I personally would always prefer to have a greyhound that had raced rather than an unraced puppy, but I'm sure some will disagree with me on that :eat: .

nothing wrong with a puppy :) I've never had any trouble with the pups I've had here. From my reading, mainly of overseas lists, the main reason people have trouble with a greyhound pup is because they expect them to be a mini version of the adult dogs and they are not. Pups, of whatever breed, are a lot of work, if you want them to grow up to be responsible canine citizens.

Hey all, my parents and I own a 12 Year Old White and Black Greyhound, and she's an absolute sweetheart!

I have a question, or more so a curiosity.

Had you brought a greyhound pup, regardless whether it was from a racing breed or show breed, and say you decide to keep it as a pet and want to do obedience with them, could you train them in obedience club or is there any restrictions with it?

Because so far I've seen a few turned up at a obedience club, but not even participated :)

With ours, she does some minor at home obedience doing some like drop (But you have to say sit), and would heel and do recall, but I don't understand why ours wouldn't sit like the type you teach with pups. I have tried using food but she would keep barking at me and drops and be like "it's my way or forget it"! lol

I think it's great with the GAP and all, but I'd love it to be able see them turn up to training and be able to perform some obedience work! If I could take mine and prove to the others that she is smart as well, I would, but unfortunately with the age and being fragile, it's not possible :laugh:

I know of one greyhound that was adopted as a pup and has done well at obedience. From memory I think they were planning to eventually try him at agility. I just think not many go to pet homes as pups, which is why you wouldn't see too many at obedience. :thumbsup:

no reason why a greyhound can't participate in dog sports like obedience and agility. The younger you get them the more likely they are to be successful as older greys can have injuries and they are a tad institutionalised. So saying that I didn't start teaching Piper agility until 2 ish and I had a lovely 2 yo foster bitch who picked up the clicker concepts so easily. There is a greyhound in NSW doing agility and there has been a couple in Qld who have titled. There is/was a grey in Vic doing obedience plus there have been others.

There are no restrictions on greys doing obedience or agility training, you do have to think outside the square with them to get them doing their best :D I really should pull my finger out and do something with Fern and Miller :thumbsup:

Wow! I think that is fantastic knowing there are greyhounds that has retired and participate in Agility and Obedience! I'd hope to see one would do either activities one day as I'd love to watch them do it!

What if one would purchase or got a greyhound from a breeder/trainer and with the law that greyhound must wear the wire muzzles, and they choose to do these activities whether it's obedience or agility (Especially if the greyhound is older and finished racing), would there be any perceived issues would prevent them from doing those fun sport.

So in other words, say bye bye to wearing muzzles and take them straight to obedience class and train them? Especially if they only retired from racing whether it was a week or a year.

What do you advise new owners to do in this situation if went through this method rather than get one from the GAP? Do they have to meet any requirements or go through procedures before they can be off their muzzles and be a companion dog or some form of talented dog.

I thought I bring it up because of a contrasting differences in purchasing a dog from a pure bred breeder and purchasing one off a greyhound (racing) breeder/trainer.

Edited by Tambaqui

Question! With reguard to greys being suceptable to teeth problems - is this a genetic thing or more to do with a racing diet causing issues?

I think it is the luck of the draw. I doubt it is diet because so many ex racers are fed differently to when they were racing and can still have problems. And in my experience once the odd tooth or two is removed, diet's that includes bones will keep the teeth clean. What is more of a problem is gingivitis, inflammation of the gums. I have read suggestions that, that can be caused by the dogs saliva, but I do know it's a pain to deal with.

Sam's Teef is the story of my boy and his battle with periodontal disease ( gingivitis). Sam lived another 9 months approx without his teeth. Never had another problem with his mouth.

What if one would purchase or got a greyhound from a breeder/trainer and with the law that greyhound must wear the wire muzzles, and they choose to do these activities whether it's obedience or agility (Especially if the greyhound is older and finished racing), would there be any perceived issues would prevent them from doing those fun sport.

I think the older the grey and the longer it raced, the less chance of them being able to do agility due to injuries. Obedience is more achievable injury wise. In Victoria if you are participating in a VCA sanctioned event, which includes a registered training club, on their grounds, a greyhound does not need to be muzzled. Of course if you had a GAP greyhound you are exempt from the muzzle law

So in other words, say bye bye to wearing muzzles and take them straight to obedience class and train them? Especially if they only retired from racing whether it was a week or a year.

I would give the dog time to settle in before whizzing them off to class :thumbsup:

What do you advise new owners to do in this situation if went through this method rather than get one from the GAP? Do they have to meet any requirements or go through procedures before they can be off their muzzles and be a companion dog or some form of talented dog.

I think my above answers, answer your question but just in case. A GAP dog does not need to wear a muzzle, a greyhound at a registered dog club, training on the clubs grounds does not need to be muzzled, nor do they need to be muzzled if competing while on those grounds. Go for a walk around outside the grounds you would need to put the muzzle on. This is all while in Victoria.

I thought I bring it up because of a contrasting differences in purchasing a dog from a pure bred breeder and purchasing one off a greyhound (racing) breeder/trainer.

There are no real differences wherever you get your dog from, unless it is a GAP greyhound, in Victoria, it must be muzzled when not on private property.

ETA you can arrange for GAP to assess your dog but you would need to contact GAP to find out what they require from your dog.

Edited by Rebanne