Greyhound

Troy

I haven't had to 'house train' any greys, either my own or any of my fosters, they just seem to be very clean and instinctively go outside.

Some do have a little trouble getting used to things like stairs and tiled floors (slippery) but it really doesn't take them long to acclimatise :)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your replies! I have since been on the WA GAP site, and was amazed at just how many greys are adopted :laugh: . Its great that so many find homes, although I have no idea how many are on the list to be adopted of course!

Rat

• 3 weeks later...
How common are heart problems in Greys now? I know that years ago we lost a bitch (retired racer who was better suited to the show ring) to a heart problem. Back then I remember 'overhearing' vet talk about greys having heart issues. Has that changed in recent years?

My Lilly has a heart murmur (grade 2 or 3) and our vet seems to think that heart problems are very uncommon in the breed. In fact, greyhounds tend to be one of the 'healthier' breeds going round according to him.

Yes, they are definitely one of the healthier breeds. Part of the reason I recommend them to so many people. :D

Sounds like heart problems are on the decrease then ;)

:)

Lilly's heart murmur is a bit of a blessing - she was always going to live with us when she finished racing, but because of it she arrived on our couch a little early ;)

Our 2 are very different in personality. Patch is the calm, serene boy (though his zoomies consist of him spinning in a circle on the spot), he subtley comes over for a pat and does the 'greyhound lean'. Lilly is younger and much more 'in your face' - she is our velcro dog who loves nothing more than to be whereever we are. She jumps, counter-surfs and loves to lick everyone and everything.

Yes we have a Greyhound from the GAP rescue and she is a delightful dog who gets on very well with out other dogs, but whe walking in the paddocks I can never let her off the lead, she is just straight through the fences and off into the wild blue yonder. I tried it a couple of times and the last time it took me 2 hours to get her back, NEVER again. It is a pity as she would love to run with the Deerhounds but they stop at the fences and she just doesn't. I do sometimes take her to KCC Park and let her off in the off leash area so she can have a good run where it is securely fenced.

Pam

• 2 months later...

Hello grey lovers. I was just wondering if you could please tell me how they are with other breeds. We have an 8 year old lab and are interested in adopting a grey through gap. Any information or personnal experiences would be appreciated. :laugh:

Not sure if a grey would suit us so trying to learn more about them.

Otherwise we are thinking of another lab...

Edited by harley

Hello grey lovers. I was just wondering if you could please tell me how they are with other breeds. We have an 8 year old lab and are interested in adopting a grey through gap. Any information or personnal experiences would be appreciated. :laugh:

Not sure if a grey would suit us so trying to learn more about them.

Otherwise we are thinking of another lab...

Most greys should get along with other dogs fine. My dog regularly mixes with my sister's two rotties, and the grey is the queen of the lot. She has the pick of the beds, the pick of the bones, you name it! The rotties think she's marvelous.

If you adopt thru GAP, they'll pick a dog for you that likes other big dogs. When you apply, they ask you about your family, your other pets etc, so that they can find a dog that will fit in with your circumstances. For example, b/c I have an elderly parent, my dog had to be very calm, so that's what I got. If I had older children, I might have preferred a dog with a more playful nature.

BTW GAP dogs are temprament tested to accept other dogs. They have to pass this test in order to go thru the adoption process. Those that fail cannot be put up for adoption.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I was just wanting to know if anyone has had experience with greyhounds and pet chickens. i live on a surban block and the chickens have a big run with 1.8 metre high fence. I have been thinking about either joining a rescue group or getting a hound but i feel abit worried.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hi,

I was just wanting to know if anyone has had experience with greyhounds and pet chickens. i live on a surban block and the chickens have a big run with 1.8 metre high fence. I have been thinking about either joining a rescue group or getting a hound but i feel abit worried.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Some do fine with free range chooks - some don't

shae.jpg

If you adopt from a reputable group, they will make sure any hound you adopt has been in foster care with chooks.

*peeks head in *

eep - scary names i see from my thread in rescue! Not too keen to get flamed again but get my first foster tomorrow night, been told he's fine with cats and other dogs but going to be excessively careful and keep him away from the kitties regardless until there's been a formal temp. test done. Very excited to teach this boy how to be a couch potato in any case :thumbsup:

but get my first foster tomorrow night, been told he's fine with cats and other dogs but going to be excessively careful and keep him away from the kitties regardless until there's been a formal temp. test done. Very excited to teach this boy how to be a couch potato in any case :thanks:

I would have him muzzled and on lead for several days around the cats. Then remove one or the other for a day or two more. I always left the muzzle until last.

Hi all

We are thinking about getting a greyhound in the near future.... I was wondering how they go outside during winter??

We are in Perth, and although the winters are fairly mild here, I am concerned about their short coats and if they feel the cold more than other dogs! (We have a GSD, and 3 cats also)

Hi all

We are thinking about getting a greyhound in the near future.... I was wondering how they go outside during winter??

We are in Perth, and although the winters are fairly mild here, I am concerned about their short coats and if they feel the cold more than other dogs! (We have a GSD, and 3 cats also)

Hi there,

I'm in Perth also and I have 2 Greys which both live and sleep outside under the patio, I always put coats (fleece lined) on them at night and if it's really cold during the day and I also cover them over with a blanket or a sheet.

They do feel the cold & heat more than other dogs, they have no fat on them so basically if your hot or cold outside then your dog will be too.

My boys beds are full of old doona's and sheets to keep them warm!

I guess you'll be going thru GAP? They are fantastic to deal with and will make sure your Grey is cat and other dog tested, I will be selling winter coats for Greys thru www.dogkingdom.com.au closer to winter, I also sell all of the Greyhounds as Pets merchandise.

Good luck with it.

Julie

Hi all

I am yet to own a grey (almost!) but from what I know they don't fare very well in cold temperatures. They wear coats when it's cold but I think not even a coat would help in extended amounts of exposure to a cold environment.. depends how cold your mild winters are though I guess! It seems the short coats and thin skin would be much more suited to a predominantly indoor life, though

OoOoo.. thanks so much Julie - its great to know someone with local knowledge too!!!

yes, definitely through GAP!!

We lost our girl only a few short months ago (not a greyhound), and whilst we are still dealing with the sadness, it is only a matter of time until we are ready to welcome another furry member to the family :laugh:

Thanks Shelle&Shyla - yes, I wouldn't want them to be cold!!!

Currently, our GSD stays inside with our cats during the day (due to her upsetting the neighbourhood as she is still pining :laugh:) - this would probably extend to the new addition when it happens, but it would take a while for the trust to develop with the cats - hence the question about winter and outdoors!! (Both dogs would be outside until that happened, not just one!!!)

OoOoo.. thanks so much Julie - its great to know someone with local knowledge too!!!

yes, definitely through GAP!!

We lost our girl only a few short months ago (not a greyhound), and whilst we are still dealing with the sadness, it is only a matter of time until we are ready to welcome another furry member to the family :(

Your so welcome! Once you've had a Grey you'll never look back - but I am very very biased!!

GAP organise monthly walks where all the dogs (& owners) get together in various locations around Perth and basically just go for a walk, you'll get to meet other owners and chat about the dogs, we had the first one in Mandurah last month and it was a great day out. They also hold Greyhound playgroups every Sunday depending on where you live where again the Greys can get together and go for a run in an enclosed environment, they have a great time but there is a heat policy where its not held if the temp is due to be 33 or over, so this summer there hasn't been too many of them! sick of this heat!

You'll get a lot of support from GAP if you ever need it and forums like this are fantastic if you ever want to know anything beware though, they sleep ALL the time!

Julie