Cocker Spaniel

Troy

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

Owner for 26 years, competitor in Agility for 9 years.

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

Answered previously :rofl:

3. How common is it in Australia?

Very Common.

4. What is the average lifespan?

14 - 15 years

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

Very smart and laid back. I find them active and require a 'job' to keep them truly happy

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

20 mins a day

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

Yes, but there is alot of grooming

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

Not really.. need companionship of either human or another dog

9. How much grooming is required?

Daily brushing and clipping/grooming monthly

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

No.. if they are well trained, they are perfect for all. Mind you, I have one 3yo bitch who is highly active and requires alot of exercise (she thinks she is a JRT)

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

Answered previously

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

Health tests, meet the puppies parents, have they been bought up around children

Edited by Maverick

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello

I`m new to the Cocker Spaniel thread and am first time owner to a 12 week female English Cocker.All is going well but I would be interested to hear roughly how much I should be feeding her.I am using Ekanuba and following suggested quantities but she seems always hungry.She still has 3 meals a day but we`ll stop soon.What weight will she be as an adult?( she will not be breeding as she is a family pet) and what should she weigh now at 12 weeks? Many thanks .

PS We are off to vet for 2nd needle today so of course I can also ask there.

• 5 years later...

I have a 6 year old female English Cocker Spaniel called Gabby from a breeder here in WA. She has recently been diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder by a behaviorist. The behaviourist explained that the anxiety is mostly genetic, reinforced by reactions to her anxious behaviours, (e.g. She sees the postman, barks, he delivers the letters and then leaves. She perceives this as he left because she barked at him and so she should bark again next time). Gabby is now on medication while we try to help her with her anxiety.

I guess I'm wondering... 

Has anyone else had/have this problem? I have had three Cocker Spaniels before Gabby, all of which were the easiest and happiest dogs. Living with Gabby can be exhausting but I love her to bits and want to help her enjoy life.

• 7 months later...

Hi all

I was wondering if here are any particular breeders who have cockers that have less feathering? I really like the look of the shorter coat. 

Obviously still want to make sure they have a lovely temperament too.

thanks

• 4 years later...

Hi All
Can I get an idea what price breeders are charging for a partially trained, approx. 1 year old male Cockers are going for please?
Been many years since I've bought a dog, so one thing I know prices would have changed. :laugh:
Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/10/2022 at 9:39 AM, pesh said:

Hi All
Can I get an idea what price breeders are charging for a partially trained, approx. 1 year old male Cockers are going for please?
Been many years since I've bought a dog, so one thing I know prices would have changed. :laugh:
Thanks

When you say ‘partially trained” - trained for what? Eg trained to hunt in the field? House trained? Trained to walk on the lead or sit quietly at the peg?

Cockers are not the easiest dogs to train unless you get one from a working line and want it to do a job that it likes! 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi guys

Can someone please point me towards who is breeding the best (most driven) working cockers in Australasia?  Looking potentially for a SAR dog prospect, but am totally unfamiliar with who is who in the gundog world

Thanks

Try Bodhran in WA.

i have pups from two of their dogs at the moment - very impressive.

Have you looked at the transport cost recently?  I sent a Springer pup to Christchurch recently - the cost was over $4000