Vet Disinfectant And Disease Control Query

I visited my vet this weekend and was overwhelmed by a putrid stench. When I asked the staff if they had just had a parvo case, they advised a dog had been brought in earlier with blood in its faeces and been euthanased.

I realise it must be a fairly regular occurrence for a vet surgery but was shocked by the stench even though the place had been disinfected. I'm curious to learn if most vet-grade disinfectants are able to get rid of or mask this smell, as well as what the standard protocol for disease control is in such instances.

My experience working at vet hospitals is that the area is always cleaned and disinfected thouroughly as cross contamination is ALWAYS a concern.

I have a very sensitive nose and agree that the stench is revolting, however my experience is that it's not from bad cleaning practices, it's from NO FRESH AIR circulating...ie no open windows and doors to get rid of the smell.

Usually the air con is the only air circulating and management does not want windows and doors open due to animals escaping. That's why it takes ages to get rid of the smell.

Edited by redarachnid

Guest Willow

Most dinsinfectants used in vet clinics have a deodoriser in them.....but yeah, lack of fresh air certainly doesn't help at all!!!

Unfortunately parvo smell is horrible and without proper air circulation, will hang around and it is disgusting!

I can assure you that regardless of the amount of cleaning, that smell will hang around for a bit.

Now if it was just normal mess (faeces, urine, vomit) and there was still a bad smell, I would think it wasnt cleaned properly but again, if it was very bad, and no air circulation, the smell can still linger a little.

I've never smelt parvo... I guess that's a good thing, seeing I've worked in clinic for 4 years and we've not seen a case!

Unfortunately some smells are just really hard to get rid of, no matter how much you clean the room, spray deodoriser etc.