Hitting The Ring For The First Time

angelsophie

:( Toby loves to meet new people :cool: He loves people full stop. I have a thing for Pugs so hopefully I will get to meet one of your "kids" too :D Can I ask how they are to show? Is there any grooming? It always interests me to see the differences in the breeds. There are some that simply take your breath away. I could actually sit and just watch the showing all day :D Afgans are so regal and elegant always make me stop and stare.

I have to trim his feet minimally this week, dremel nails, get his face nice and white, train, walk, stack, deter play biting :p

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a born again newbie :laugh:

Throwing my hat (and perhaps a dog) in the ring tomorrow after a 12 month break due to various reasons.....back injury (mine), lack of development (his), lack of time (mine), focus on obedience (both). Will be interesting to see how he and I go around with very little show training of late!

Deter play biting hehe :laugh:

How old is Toby? We've been lucky with Fletcher, he's not a nibbler and never has been... i remember someone meeting him a couple of days after i got him, they shoved their hand in his mouth and he pulled away, they did it three times before he gave it a little chew "oh thank god, i thought he was a broken puppy" the person said. Haha i didn't think he was broken, i was quite pleased! We're still teething now at 5.5 months (think we've lost them all, but they're still growing - ears are up and down every day) but still no play biting! Weird! Looooves ripping up paper/toys, but that's it. Complete opposite to Hugo. He's 16 months and still will have a chew on my hand if i let him - not obsessivly like when he was a pup though.

I never showed Hugo, but as far as i know there's not a lot of grooming! I think some will trim the longer 'feather' on their back legs and *very* few would trim whiskers, but i think that's about it. I know the breeder told me about 'puggie pimples' which Hugo occasionally gets - she said that they would pop them before going in the ring. As far as how they'd go in the ring, i certainly think that would depend on the pug... people say they're hard to train and they're known for being stubborn... But we do obedience with Hugo and he's really really really good, very calm, focused etc and picks up new thinks quickly. But if it's a bit wet, he will flat out refuse to drop (unless food is involved!).

Edited by Bindii

:eek: Toby loves to meet new people :) He loves people full stop. I have a thing for Pugs so hopefully I will get to meet one of your "kids" too ;) Can I ask how they are to show? Is there any grooming? It always interests me to see the differences in the breeds. There are some that simply take your breath away. I could actually sit and just watch the showing all day :) Afgans are so regal and elegant always make me stop and stare.

I have to trim his feet minimally this week, dremel nails, get his face nice and white, train, walk, stack, deter play biting :rofl:

The pugs are pretty simple to show, theres really not much to do. With our guys all I do is wipe their face with a wet one, apply some paw paw cream to their nose to make it nice and shiney and spray their coat with some spray takes 2-5 mins depending on how crazy they are being at the time. Pre show (at home) they get a bath, nails done, a brush out, blow dry and the butt/leg hairs trimmed if they need it.

As for in the show ring our guys have been pretty easy to train althou we are still working on the best way to stop Rebel from charging at the judge on the home stretch, I know why she does it just not sure how to stop it.

Watching other breeds is how I ended up in love with Pointees, shows can be evil like that!

:eat: Toby loves to meet new people :rofl: He loves people full stop.

Leo is the same, everytime someone comes to give him the once over why we have him in his stand he gets so excited and just wants kisses and cuddles. Haha, gotta break that habit.

He wants to say hello to all the other dogs aswell, he is too social for this :rofl:

Bullmastiffs are like pugs- basically no preparation before going in, well so i've heard. "the lazy mans show dog" they're known as :sleep:

Went down to KCC park to have a look today. 1 week to go! Everyone else getting nervous too??

Aw he looks so good! :laugh:

Leo would love him, a big fluffy toy to chew on :)

Be sure to let us know how you go!

I'm sure we'll all have a ball. Toby's been bathed today. Hes getting used to sitting with conditioner in now. Not so pathetic lol we clipped nails in the bath while waiting the 10 mins. Work a treat for distraction as he just stands there while I clip anyway, and its much easier with a coated breed to do em wet

He looks okay - well for a newbie lol. I did attempt to put his headfall up in a pony tail....NOT IMPRESSED didnt even cover it :)

Bindii fletcher is looking awesome :o and he stands so beautifully!! We did some stack training but he's a bugger and I'm not much better. I look in the breeders threads and see em stack the young abbaies and think I havent got a hope.

And he is very mouthy. We try to distract him away so lets hope he doesnt try it on the judge :eek: he is almost 4.5 months. have you got somone going with you next week? breeder?

jessm - i have my work cut out i have to keep him white and in coat. If we get another show dog I am sooooooo not getting a white one ever again :laugh: Though I must say I hang out for bath day and love grooming him :o so it prob will be another coated one. hubby wants a british bulldog though

Aw he looks so good! :curtsey:

Leo would love him, a big fluffy toy to chew on :eek:

That's just what Hugo mistakes him for too! :laugh: ... :o

I'm sure we'll all have a ball. Toby's been bathed today. Hes getting used to sitting with conditioner in now. Not so pathetic lol we clipped nails in the bath while waiting the 10 mins. Work a treat for distraction as he just stands there while I clip anyway, and its much easier with a coated breed to do em wet

He looks okay - well for a newbie lol. I did attempt to put his headfall up in a pony tail....NOT IMPRESSED didnt even cover it :welcome:

wow facinating stuff! I know Sammies have a lot of coat, but we pretty much just comb it, wash it blow dry it, brush it some more, baby powder it. Wait now that seems like a lot! But what i mean is that the coat is pretty much just there - i couldn't imagine having to put it in a pony tail!! I saw some with little butterfly clips in today. And I've seen the Old English Sheepdogs - it's amazing what they do! Really makes me think i've got it easy! (perhaps not as easy as you have it, Jessm!) I'd love to see photos of Toby after his bath! And at him stacking :o i'm sure it's not that bad!

Bindii fletcher is looking awesome :heart: and he stands so beautifully!! We did some stack training but he's a bugger and I'm not much better. I look in the breeders threads and see em stack the young abbaies and think I havent got a hope.

And he is very mouthy. We try to distract him away so lets hope he doesnt try it on the judge :winner: he is almost 4.5 months. have you got somone going with you next week? breeder?

The breeders will be there yes! I think i've asked so many questions already, but i'm sure i'll think of more on the day! Hopefully we'll see Fletcher's sister again, very cute. Actually we met his Sire for the first time today! Beauuutiful! I can't wait for Fletcher to get his big grown up coat :laugh: As far as my 'support crew' (lol) just got OH coming along. It's actually our 5 year anniversary (from the day we got together, not marriage of course :)) so i think i've totally overshadowed it by entering Fletch into his first show! But hey i think it's an exciting way to celebrate it :o

Edited by Bindii

:laugh: the dog on the right is my home bred

"GRAND CHAMPION Mandalay Kaptain Kaos" "Sherman"

Left is also home bred

"CHAMPION Mandalay Shanghi Suprize"

My Prefix is MANDALAY.....

But if you see me in any of the catalogues when you are at shows just come and say Hello....I don't bite.. :D

Ooops :) see I have newbie written all over me :(

I didnt remember the prefix just the van...it was cute! I watched some pugs the show I went to last. They had loads of character :rofl: I liked that they looked like they were having fun. Its funny, the breeds seem to taken on their own personalities.

Do you get up this way poocow?

Going to hide now lol

AS, you should have checked out the other side of the trailer ... it has HAVANESE all over it! :p

Haha yeh, someone to laugh with when I fall over infront of everyone?!

I sure can do that for you, details coming your way!

I did that - fell over running into the ring, knocked myself senseless and woke up (probably 5 seconds later) to find a whole pile of people gathering and my dog standing guard right next to my head!! :p very funny!

:D Was that at Canberra? What did you hit your head on? (so that I - being Ms Clumsy - can watch out for whatever hidden peril it was :laugh: )

I will also be hitting the ring for the first time soon - will be at the Harden show this month - very nervous - had dreams last night that I turned up all wrong, just expecting to show my dog and had forgotton to wear fancy dress, also dreamed there was a show with men only leading their dogs and they had to do it in their underwear (not a pretty sight).

My 11yr old daughter (Emily) is also going to show for the first time as a junior handler, our breeder doesn't show but we have had a lot of help from people in here (thankyou) and from going to show lessons. I've also just learned there are individual clubs such as utility dog club (we have a shy mini schnauzer boy called Schroeder) and junior handler clubs. I'm just getting back from a trip from brisbane but will be checking those out.

Sometimes I think there should be a mixed newbie show, I worry about getting in the way of the people who know what they're doing.

Hi Hotdoggy,

I will be at Harden, but not till Sunday. I will look for you and say hello. If you want to know anything beforehand, PM me. Were you and your kids doing show training earlier this year at Canberra? If so, I was there too :laugh:

Left is also home bred

But if you see me in any of the catalogues when you are at shows just come and say Hello....I don't bite.. :D

I didnt remember the prefix just the van...it was cute! I watched some pugs the show I went to last. They had loads of character :rofl: I liked that they looked like they were having fun. Its funny, the breeds seem to taken on their own personalities.

Going to hide now lol

AS, you should have checked out the other side of the trailer ... it has HAVANESE all over it! :p

???HASHKI????? :rofl:

Left is also home bred

Going to hide now lol

???HASHKI????? :rofl:

There are a few pug trailers with pug head stickers as well as kabovas that hit the newcastle rings, I can think of at least two that would have been at the show you were at AS so dont feel too silly :rofl: